Players can Unionize!!!

I wonder if these kids realize what that scholarship is worth and the federal income tax associated with that level of income. For that matter, would academic scholarship students now have the right to unionize as they too could be considered "employees"?

Last edited:
Some schools will not compete with bigger schools who can pay more

Some schools will drop athletics all together

If you think its not going to have side effects, you are mistaken

You do realize some college division you can get paid a billion dollars and it's not regulated, yet the sports departments somehow survive. And it really doesn't matter what we want, what they are doing has been in violation of law for 40+ years. imho.

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder if these kids realize what that scholarship is worth and the federal income tax associated with that level of income.

Scholarships are generally exempt from taxation.

Like I said, colleges have been ignoring law and might owe players money, but this is just coming to the table... each state is going to be different.

This could spell the end of scholarships at Northwestern. Think about it. Couldn't a school where the players unionize discontinue future scholarship money, pay the players the negotiated salary amount, and then require tuition payments? I can't imagine that a salary for the average D1 player is going to be much more than their scholarship provides.

If they think they are getting ahead by getting paid, then they are as naïve as those that thought the AHCP would be free

Hate to be political but not surprised about the idiocy of this administration's NLRB. They are more incompetent than Jimmy Cheek's administrative policies. And that says a lot.

Last edited:
Unions, which reward mediocrity and encourage sub-standard work product, are in no way a fit for a pay for performance environment like college football (which is really what scholarships, etc.. are, pay for performance).

Unions ruined the credibility and effectiveness of the American work force, and they would ruin college sports. Let capitalism do its job and encourage top performance.

Reactions: 2 people
Except now they will be classified as employees.

Not necessarily and I don't know if even matters, if they are classified by the State as employees they might owe the players more than just scholarships. Min. wage, healthcare, workman's comp., etc.

Each state is different, many years of litigation on many levels to go.

Why is that?

Haha.

Well, for all of the supposed money being made on their backs, most of that money at most universities is reinvested in other sports that do not generate revenue.

One could postulate that where most schools do not actually make money on athletics, and struggle to break even, that money would come from non revenue producing sports. So suddenly soccer, field hockey, rowing, all get shut down in favor of paying football players.

Similarly, if football players are being paid it is only a matter of time until basketball and everyone else wants their payers paid too. So the money (profit), that is finite and typically centralized only among 20 or so schools, actually would drive smaller schools that don't have the income, out of the sports that they can no longer afford, which would be most of those sports.

So while some schools make a ton of money, most dont. Those that don't couldn't afford actual expenses and would be forced to shut down significant portions of their athletics departments unless another work around is found. This all could very well mean less scholarships for non scholars.

I'd pay them nothing. They get free housing, free meals, a free education all for the sake that they know how to catch or throw a football.

Without being able to do that, some of these kids wouldn't be able to go to college. So this is not good for college sports in general.

And tacos from Fulmer!

You do realize some college division you can get paid a billion dollars and it's not regulated, yet the sports departments somehow survive. And it really doesn't matter what we want, what they are doing has been in violation of law for 40+ years. imho.

What labor laws have they violated?

They are compensated for what they do. At this point, it is not a job. They are not required to play. They play for an opportunity to have a free education. That is the whole point of student athlete. Now, I agree, that it has morphed from that because most kids use it as a jump to the NFL

The NFL is to blame just as much as Universities. If the NFL cared, they would have a farm system like MLB where kids could opt out of CFB and get paid until the made an NFL roster. That would leave scholarships for kids who cared more about their education than making millions of dollars for running fast with a ball. But the NFL won't do that when they get a free farm system from the Universities.

If we're going to go down the "obligations" road, then that would mean students on academic scholarships need to be paid as well.

Do they not have to be at certain classes at certain times? Do they not have to adhere to certain rules per the university?

It's pretty simple, if the kid doesn't want to deal with those obligations of football/practice and what not, then don't play. It's that simple.

No one is making these kids sign the scholarships and play.

Were you ever a scholarship athlete? If not, you have no clue about the obligations. Just a typical, bitter non-athlete. If so, I retract my direct criticism.

Keep this in mind:

"For now, the push is to unionize athletes at private schools, such as Northwestern, because the federal labor agency does not have jurisdiction over public universities."

From: College Athletes Can Unionize, Federal Agency Says - ABC News

So does this mean that private schools will have a significant advantage over public? If so I can't imagine in the NCAA wouldn't step in and level the playing field.

Well, for all of the supposed money being made on their backs, most of that money at most universities is reinvested in other sports that do not generate revenue.

One could postulate that where most schools do not actually make money on athletics, and struggle to break even, that money would come from non revenue producing sports. So suddenly soccer, field hockey, rowing, all get shut down in favor of paying football players.

Similarly, if football players are being paid it is only a matter of time until basketball and everyone else wants their payers paid too. So the money (profit), that is finite and typically centralized only among 20 or so schools, actually would drive smaller schools that don't have the income, out of the sports that they can no longer afford, which would be most of those sports.

So while some schools make a ton of money, most dont. Those that don't couldn't afford actual expenses and would be forced to shut down significant portions of their athletics departments unless another work around is found. This all could very well mean less scholarships for non scholars.

This all day

What labor laws have they violated?

Most of them plus they will eventually be sued and be found liable for actions against prior players. Watch.

They are compensated for what they do. At this point, it is not a job.

If they are compenstate for what they do they are either an "employee" or "contractor". You are killing your own argument.

They are not required to play. They play for an opportunity to have a free education. That is the whole point of student athlete. Now, I agree, that it has morphed from that because most kids use it as a jump to the NFL.

There is no such thing as "student athlete" in law, in general.

The NFL is to blame just as much as Universities. If the NFL cared, they would have a farm system like MLB where kids could opt out of CFB and get paid until the made an NFL roster. That would leave scholarships for kids who cared more about their education than making millions of dollars for running fast with a ball. But the NFL won't do that when they get a free farm system from the Universities.

Not really relevant but no disrespect intended on my part.

I am actually surprised by this ruling, I gave them less than 50% chance but either way the present corrupt system is going bye bye, eventually.

Reactions: 5 people
Were you ever a scholarship athlete? If not, you have no clue about the obligations. Just a typical, bitter non-athlete. If so, I retract my direct criticism.

Did you? Believing that NCAA athletes on full scholarships should get paid is absurd. I'd rather see students in the medical field paid before athletes.

Did you? Believing that NCAA athletes on full scholarships should get paid is absurd. I'd rather see students in the medical field paid before athletes.

I would love to pay an employee in food, classrom and a dorm room for services.

Who said they need to get paid? Depends on how the colleges handle their sports, each situation is different.

VN Store

Back