Players can Unionize!!!

Which statutes are they breaking? You keep saying this without being specific.

Each State is different but here is a quick run down, I would think most people knew there were labor laws.... minimum wage laws, workman's compensation, unemployment insurance, ss, health insurance, etc.

Each State is different but here is a quick run down, I would think most people knew there were labor laws.... minimum wage laws, workman's compensation, unemployment insurance, ss, health insurance, etc.

There are also laws that cover how people hire

So if they are considered employees, then the universities will have to change how they recruit to meet the requirements for a State employee

There are also laws that cover how people hire

So if they are considered employees, then the universities will have to change how they recruit to meet the requirements for a State employee

Possibly depending on the State and situation. Each college is eventually going to have to find there own path by getting determinations. My guess... 5 to 10 years from now none of the present system will be around, in its current form... I would further expect everyone and their mother to be sued for 10s of billions covering anything that can be thought of.

You are going to see all kinds of suits, why? The players and former players have great cases on a wide variety of items and assets are available.

Those are benefits to an employee. The universities and government don't see them as employees. Please show the statutes they are breaking right now. Please show a statute that defines them as an employee and quit beating around the damn bush. Statutes, LSU, not "they are breaking laws". Or do you not have supporting documentation for your opinion?

Those are benefits to an employee. The universities and government don't see them as employees.

Doesn't matter what the colleges think once the determinations start coming in, which was what this ruling was.

Please show the statutes they are breaking right now. Please show a statute that defines them as an employee and quit beating around the damn bush. Statutes, LSU, not "they are breaking laws". Or do you not have supporting documentation for your opinion?

What the colleges think is mostly irrelevant and has no basis in law which is what the labor ruled.

The sooner they get on the train the less they will lose, their choice. I certainly wouldn't want to stand in front of this train, and it's barely even got started yet.... yet.

Doesn't matter what the colleges think once the determinations start coming in, which was what this ruling was.

What the colleges think is mostly irrelevant and has no basis in law which is what the labor ruled.

The sooner they get on the train the less they will lose, their choice. I certainly wouldn't want to stand in front of this train, and it's barely even got started yet.... yet.

You have nothing then. I asked you what laws are they breaking and you provide nothing but vague garbage.

Reactions: 1 person
You have nothing then. I asked you what laws are they breaking and you provide nothing but vague garbage.

I have already providing many times in many threads.... learn to use search or google. Or call up your State Labor Department and ask them if you hire someone and pay them in meatballs instead of minimum wage and see what they have to say. No you won't do that will you... takes too much work.... or better yet, the truth is not what you want to hear.

Hot breaking news guys, the State has Labor laws.

Thanks your comment , American workers union or not enjoy many workplace protections that would not be law if the unions had not fought for them. The 40hr work week, overtime pay, and safe workplaces are just a few of them.
Pre union, pro athletes were bought and sold on the open market like cattle and there was no minimum salary.

Please get your facts straight. The American 40 hour work week was created by Henry Ford.

I think the playoff was the straw that broke the camel's back. College football has gone from 10 games a year to 12 games plus a conference championship game and now a playoff game. That's four extra games and the rumor is they want to expand to 8 teams.
These athletes won't have time to be students!

I agree with you. The simple answer to this is to eliminate athletic scholarships and make the players pay for their education.

I have already providing many times in many threads.... learn to use search or google. Or call up your State Labor Department and ask them if you hire someone and pay them in meatballs instead of minimum wage and see what they have to say. No you won't do that will you... takes too much work.... or better yet, the truth is not what you want to hear.

Hot breaking news guys, the State has Labor laws.
No you haven't provided anything. As I am not the one claiming they are breaking laws, the research is not mine to burden. It's yours. Unfortunately for you, I have 120 years of collegiate athletics to point to. Hell use your own state to show how they can even be defined as employees other than your claims that lack sufficient support other than some union. I asked you to simply back up your claim they are currently breaking laws.

Trust me, I have a lot of ammo to poke holes in the egregious claim you are making but you can't even get over the basic hurdle to show they, by law, are even eligible to be considered an employee.

Accusing people or institutions of breaking a law without supporting statutes is outrageous.

Last edited:
No you haven't provided anything. As I am not the one claiming they are breaking laws, the research is not mine to burden.

Haha. This is not a court of law, you only have burden in a court buddy. As for the rest I provided to you as most of what you think is "evidence" is in the public view. You do know the laws are different in each of the 50 states? There absolutely no burden on me at all. I don't know what stupid person told you have some burden.

The rest is your rant that someone is telling you something you don't want to hear, not my problem. I assure you the suits are only beginning, they will be sued and they will either settle (if they can) or they will most likely lose most of the actions depending on the circumstances and the parties involved.

Getting mad at me is not going to change that. The ncaa is going bye-bye and the colleges will have to pay many billion if not 10s of billion, all along the way you going to scratching your head.

I agree with you. The simple answer to this is to eliminate athletic scholarships and make the players pay for their education.

The simple solution is to treat the players like you would a normal student, I don't think eliminating scholarships in itself is going help but it could be one piece. The solution is to get out of the lives of the players when they are not within the four corners of the field, most of the problems disappear when you get that removed, just my take.

NCAA president Mark Emmert says unionization won't solve problems | NCAA.com

The President of the NCAA has a real problem on his hands, why exactly is the NCAA interfering with the lives of 3rd party students? Although mostly irrelevant, it also appears he doesn't know how unions are formed and operated.

The simple solution is to treat the players like you would a normal student, I don't think eliminating scholarships in itself is going help but it could be one piece. The solution is to get out of the lives of the players when they are not within the four corners of the field, most of the problems disappear when you get that removed, just my take.

NCAA president Mark Emmert says unionization won't solve problems | NCAA.com

The President of the NCAA has a real problem on his hands, why exactly is the NCAA interfering with the lives of 3rd party students? Although mostly irrelevant, it also appears he doesn't know how unions are formed and operated.

Enjoy semipro football. If they actually do unionize, I'm 100% done with college football. It's going to be the premadonna crap that the NFL is.
What's redicious is these guys don't have to take these scholarships like a regular student doesn't have to take a academic ones. You know most teams will close shop almost right away because its too expensive to pay players what they want to be paid. As far as I'm concerned, they're worth minimum wage.

Last edited:
Enjoy semipro football. If they actually do unionize, I'm 100% done with college football. It's going to be the premadonna crap that the NFL is.
What's redicious is these guys don't have to take these scholarships like a regular student doesn't have to take a academic ones. You know most teams will close shop almost right away because its too expensive to pay players what they want to be paid. As far as I'm concerned, they're worth minimum wage.

I believe the solution is simple, treat them like normal students and most (each situation is different though) problems disappear, well... that is future problems.... most of these schools are going to have to pay for past behavior.

I don't blame you for not wanting to watch college football, I have kind of felt like that for maybe different reasons.

To me the NCAA and the colleges caused this problem, the solutions are easy but they don't want to affect their revenue stream. That's their problem, you will see more and more suits and some of them are going to be given class action status I would imagine. It is very apparent from the comments from the NCAA yesterday and the after union decision that the players, in general, are "employees". The NCAA actually even say the players are being compensated, not that it's any of the NCAA business but those comments will be used in future proceedings I would imagine.

If sports are a school activity and treated like normal school activities, then there is no reason for them to die... actually I believe the opposite. The problem is the NCAA and the colleges don't want to disturb their revenue stream... but that is going to happen either way. Well, got to go boys for today, nice talking to ya.

I will add this... your semipro comment doesn't really fit... they are already professionals... if you don't believe SEC football is a professional sports business then I don't know what pro means.

Haha. This is not a court of law, you only have burden in a court buddy. As for the rest I provided to you as most of what you think is "evidence" is in the public view. You do know the laws are different in each of the 50 states? There absolutely no burden on me at all. I don't know what stupid person told you have some burden.

The rest is your rant that someone is telling you something you don't want to hear, not my problem. I assure you the suits are only beginning, they will be sued and they will either settle (if they can) or they will most likely lose most of the actions depending on the circumstances and the parties involved.

Getting mad at me is not going to change that. The ncaa is going bye-bye and the colleges will have to pay many billion if not 10s of billion, all along the way you going to scratching your head.

It is yours to burden. That's the way it works in a discussion. Like I said, you can't even support the basics of your argument. I asked you to simply use your own state and you keep mentioning each state is different.

I'm fully aware that it's different in each state. That's why I said "use your own state". You said they are breaking a bunch of laws so surely you know which ones. You named off basic employee rights. Without any statute that can determine them an employee. The state of Florida doesn't have language that can consider them employees. It's in chapter 448 of the Florida statutes under "definitions" and states the following:

(2) “Employee” means a person who performs services for and under the control and direction of an employer for wages or other remuneration. The term does not include an independent contractor.

Scholarships are not remuneration regardless of the fact that you want them to be. You have a couple dozen walks ons to consider. Then you must consider the difference between an academic scholarship and athletic one. One can't be remuneration without the other being remuneration as they are too similar. Does that make the pre med student an employee? I consider them more volunteers(no pun intended) than employees.

You could be right but you have yet to show ONE peice of real evidence to your claim.

Don't try the sophomoric tactic of "you mad". I guess you really answered it though. With your "I don't have burden of proof/not the court of law" statement. You don't have any proof. You just have vague accusations and explanations that are even more vague without anything real. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
I believe the solution is simple, treat them like normal students and most (each situation is different though) problems disappear, well... that is future problems.... most of these schools are going to have to pay for past behavior.

I don't blame you for not wanting to watch college football, I have kind of felt like that for maybe different reasons.

To me the NCAA and the colleges caused this problem, the solutions are easy but they don't want to affect their revenue stream. That's their problem, you will see more and more suits and some of them are going to be given class action status I would imagine. It is very apparent from the comments from the NCAA yesterday and the after union decision that the players, in general, are "employees". The NCAA actually even say the players are being compensated, not that it's any of the NCAA business but those comments will be used in future proceedings I would imagine.

If sports are a school activity and treated like normal school activities, then there is no reason for them to die... actually I believe the opposite. The problem is the NCAA and the colleges don't want to disturb their revenue stream... but that is going to happen either way. Well, got to go boys for today, nice talking to ya.

I will add this... your semipro comment doesn't really fit... they are already professionals... if you don't believe SEC football is a professional sports business then I don't know what pro means.

The players don't want football to be like any school activity. All they want is more money, and that's all they're ever going to want. The last 20 years in pro sports have reflected that. There will be players trying to get millions from their schools simply cause they can. There will be nothing to stop this either if they unionize.

I believe the solution is simple, treat them like normal students and most (each situation is different though) problems disappear,

If the majority of football athletes were treated like normal students they wouldn't even get into the school. U say they get treated so bad but schools have been bending over backwards for a long time to just allow them to benefit from what they have.

I look at what the standards are today at UT, and I wouldn't get in with the grades I got in HS. And I'm pretty confident majority of athletes now don't get anywhere near what I had back then.

At the end of the day the kids of the future that would benefit from the current opportunity won't have it available anymore. That's the sad part of it all not how much the schools or the NCAA make.

I'm sure u'll continue laughing to the bank though cause I'm sure ur POV is as selfish as selfish can be.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

If only the republicans are against the unions, then why is only 7 percent of the workforce union? And they are losing ground every year.

Because only 7% of non-Republican voters actually have paying jobs!

Sorry, it was too easy.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back