Patterson, Gary

Someone suggested that they do from Currie's time at K-State.

And again... why should Patterson harbor ill-will for UT and the current administration for what Hamilton did?

Coach's are a fickle breed similar to doctors. I'm not saying he does still hold I'll feelings but it wouldn't surprise me at all.IF he didn't I don't think he even brings that up in the article. Tee still holds a grudge for the way he was treated during the whole allegations thing almost 20 yrs ago. Then Butch didn't exactly help that situation. But if we don't get Gruden then Patterson and Jimbo would be 1a and 1b for me anyway.

TCU can easily match any amount of money Tennessee can.

I think it simply comes down to this. Does Patterson want to be somewhere where he can seriously compete for championships? Because I just don't think he ever will at TCU. He'll never be able recruit the type of athletes at TCU is takes. At Tennessee he could.

Reactions: 1 person
I think it simply comes down to this. Does Patterson want to be somewhere where he can seriously compete for championships? Because I just don't think he ever will at TCU. He'll never be able recruit the type of athletes at TCU is takes.

True, but if he is happy there it doesnt matter. Plus he could easy take the TAM job that will be open soon and achieve the same and keep the recruiting ties in TX.

I go to FWTX often and know alot of people there. He can do whatever he wants there, he is a beloved figure.
That area is very, very rich. Money will not be an issue in keeping him there.

That's a fine anecdote but it really doesn't prove that TCU has the resources or big money donors to compete with UT. His new deal last fall was for $4.7 million- not sure if he got an extension this year but I kind of doubt it considering the off year they had. They didn't exactly build a wall around the guy.

IMHO, UT will offer $6 million+ to the next coach.... maybe as high as $9-10 million if it is a Gruden type of hire. If they don't... it will be because the big donors told Currie "no". Patterson would probably command something in the middle of that range.

I'm just trying to read the tea leaves here. I think Gruden is a more serious possibility than he ever was last time. I don't think the obstacles with Patterson are close to being insurmountable. I am consciously avoiding picking "my guy" so I can be open to whoever they choose.... sort of like I was with the QB's over the past year.

Was it? Would Patterson blame all of UT and the current AD and President for what the previous AD and President decided?

Regardless, I can see him still having less than favorable feelings towards UT as an institution because of that.

FWIW, Currie was at Tennessee in 2009 as an assistant AD. For better or worse, he was part of the decision to fire Fulmer and hire Kiffin. So he might have that in the back of his head too.

Coach's are a fickle breed similar to doctors. I'm not saying he does still hold I'll feelings but it wouldn't surprise me at all.IF he didn't I don't think he even brings that up in the article. Tee still holds a grudge for the way he was treated during the whole allegations thing almost 20 yrs ago. Then Butch didn't exactly help that situation. But if we don't get Gruden then Patterson and Jimbo would be 1a and 1b for me anyway.

Other than defending some possibles that people don't think are possible... I am not going to pick a "favorite". There are several being named that I could be excited about. For me, Patterson is about a 7 out of 10 in that regard. There are several in the 6 to 8 range.

Unlike some, I don't oppose Gruden or think he's a "sure bet". Gruden hasn't coached in a long time and hasn't really coached college players... ever. He hasn't recruited. He hasn't dealt with CFB politics. He's used to have a different kind and level of freedom with the press. He's used to having 20 something coaches for 53 players plus a GM and huge front office devoted only to the football team.

There's little doubt in my mind what he could accomplish on game day.... but that's not enough. He has to do the other well. I'm not sure he can or even wants to.

That's a fine anecdote but it really doesn't prove that TCU has the resources or big money donors to compete with UT. His new deal last fall was for $4.7 million- not sure if he got an extension this year but I kind of doubt it considering the off year they had. They didn't exactly build a wall around the guy.

IMHO, UT will offer $6 million+ to the next coach.... maybe as high as $9-10 million if it is a Gruden type of hire. If they don't... it will be because the big donors told Currie "no". Patterson would probably command something in the middle of that range.

I'm just trying to read the tea leaves here. I think Gruden is a more serious possibility than he ever was last time. I don't think the obstacles with Patterson are close to being insurmountable. I am consciously avoiding picking "my guy" so I can be open to whoever they choose.... sort of like I was with the QB's over the past year.

There may be other issue where we can snag GP, but i promise you money is not one of them.

Maybe TCU wouldnt want to match but it certainly has the ability.

There may be other issue where we can snag GP, but i promise you money is not one of them.

Maybe TCU wouldnt want to match but it certainly has the ability.

I don't know what the issues are but according to this... UT has double the financial resources of TCU. $55 million is a lot of money. It does come down to how determined they would be to keep him... but UT would win that bidding war.

Which are the 25 richest college football programs? A few names near the top might surprise you | PennLive.com

From the TCU Board:

From GreatHornyToads:

quote:
Patterson and Tennessee

I’ve have it on solid authority from within the AD that Patterson has met with Tennessee representatives 3 times in the last month. He’s kept this secret from TCU.

It sounds like the two parties have gotten to the point that Patterson has given his requirements to become head coach for the Vols. He wanted the job in 2009 and was ready to leave but felt they had already agreed to hire someone else.

This is going to be a huge blow for our program.

Solid :)

He's my #2! I want Gruden!

Soon!

Gruden would be great if he really wants it. He's got to be all in. I doubt that's the case. He's got a cushy gig now.

I'd like to see Cutcliffe come back and bail us out. I'd be OK with him bringing back the Chief to run the defense too

He's been at TCU a loooong time. He evidently has already been rubbed the wrong way by Tennessee once (by a different AD, but still, his previous experience with Tennessee wasn't great). Paid over $5m by TCU. TCU is in the Big 12 now - a lot of the speculation regarding him in previous searches revolved around him being enticed to leave TCU because they weren't a P5 school. Why would he leave now?

Patterson is currently making $5,104,000 annually plus performance bonuses at TCU. His buyout is probably in the $10 million to $12 million neighborhood.

If Currie wants to lure Patterson, or any other top coach to UT he must be willing to shell out some $$$ to do so. The top 10 highest paid coaches in 2017 made an average salary of $6,567,423.70. The highest paid coach among these was Saban (BAMA) with a salary of $11,132,000. The "lowest" is Sumlin (aTm) clocking in at only $5,000,000.

The average maximum performance bonus for these coaches was $1,107,500.

Additionally, the average buyout for these coaches is $21,543,399. The highest is Swinney (Clemson): $40,000,000. The lowest buyout is Rodriquez (Arizona): $6,487,500. Saban's buyout is $26,900,000.

Match this to what we were paying Butch Jones: Salary: $4,110,000. Maximum performance bonus: $1,000,000. Buyout: about $8,500,000 (mitigated upon employment).

So, to get a GREAT hire, looks like Currie is going to need to ante up a cool $6.5 - $10 million + ...along with about $1.5 - $2 million in performance bonus... plus around $15 - $20 million in buyout. Anything less and we get the same ole same ole... and we may as well have kept CBJ for all the good that would do... or just get another "Google" coach.

Last edited:
You know..he said in the interview that we didn't hire him before cause he can't win the big games.. And he took that as a slap in the face. Well he lost to Oklahoma again this past weekend didn't he? And Stoops is gone.

You know..he said in the interview that we didn't hire him before cause he can't win the big games.. And he took that as a slap in the face. Well he lost to Oklahoma again this past weekend didn't he? And Stoops is gone.

So we base major decisions on one game?

With Currie telling recruits that a coach will be in place before Dec 20th, does that take out any current CFC in position for a bowl? To me the Jets AD would be the only realistic option to meet that timeline?

No. It happens all the time.
It would mean that the expectation would be they would start coaching for UT prior to Dec 20 and not coach their bowl game which again happens all the time.
This would be a big opportunity for any coach and a big step up. No way they blow that opportunity for themselves to coach a bowl game and no way we rule out 90% of the top candidates b/c they have a bowl game.

Patterson is currently making $5,104,000 annually plus performance bonuses at TCU. His buyout is probably in the $10 million to $12 million neighborhood.

If Currie wants to lure Patterson, or any other top coach to UT he must be willing to shell out some $$$ to do so. The top 10 highest paid coaches in 2017 made an average salary of $6,567,423.70. The highest paid coach among these was Saban (BAMA) with a salary of $11,132,000. The "lowest" is Sumlin (aTm) clocking in at only $5,000,000.

The average maximum performance bonus for these coaches was $1,107,500.

Additionally, the average buyout for these coaches is $21,543,399. The highest is Swinney (Clemson). The lowest buyout is Rodriquez (Arizona).

Match this to what we were paying Butch Jones: Salary: $4,110,000. Maximum performance bonus: $1,000,000. Buyout: about $8,500,000 (mitigated upon employment).

So, to get a GREAT hire, looks like Currie is going to need to ante up a cool $6.5 - $10 million + ...along with about $1.5 - $2 million in performance bonus... plus around $15 - $20 million in buyout. Anything less and we get the same ole same ole... and we may as well have kept CBJ for all the good that would do... or just get another "Google" coach.

That's some Big Money!!!!!!!!!

VN Store

Back