Patterson, Gary

Patterson coached at a school incapable of attracting 4 deep blue chip talent. He succeeded by getting lesser talents, developing them, then having a 2 deep or even 1 deep that could dominate weak competition then compete well in one or two big games per year.

This was Nebraska and OU for years in the Big 8. They played 9 or 10 scrimmage games a year then played each other to see who got the Orange Bowl and shot at the NC.

Once Patterson moved up to a more competitive league his formula no longer worked. He may still be a very good coach. We will see when he lands at K State or somewhere like that. Someone mentioned that he didn't change. That's true in many ways... but in some ways he had no way to change. The "right" move for him would have been to leave TCU when he had the chance.

Reactions: 05_never_again
But he hasn't been competitive in the Big 12, not unless you consider one conference title and a total 4 winning conference seasons out of 9 and a 45-45 conference record as "competitive".

Regardless of who he was losing to each season, he was still losing, and that's why he's going to end a 10-year run in the Big 12 with 6 losing conference records.

I consider a 45-41 conference record, 44-31 ex. OU, to be competitive. It’s fine that you and @05_never_again do not.

An Oxford dictionary def. of “competitive” that I reference: “As good as, or better than others of a comparable nature.”

Any TCU foe in the Big 12 except OU will tell you that TCU with Patterson has been competitive with their team. That was my earlier point, and still is. I didn’t say TCU was a frequent contender for a championship. I think your def. of “competitive” is “champ. contender”. Mine is dictionary above.

I consider a 45-41 conference record, 44-31 ex. OU, to be competitive. It’s fine that you and @05_never_again do not.

An Oxford dictionary def. of “competitive” that I reference: “As good as, or better than others of a comparable nature.”

Any TCU foe in the Big 12 except OU will tell you that TCU with Patterson has been competitive with their team. That was my earlier point, and still is. I didn’t say TCU was a frequent contender for a championship. I think your def. of “competitive” is “champ. contender”. Mine is dictionary above.
"As good as, or better than others" is not a few games over .500. I consider that to be mediocre. I mean, .500 is better than the bottom feeder, but everybody in the conference except the bottom feeder is better than the bottom feeder. 45-41 is very average...if that's competitive it certainly isn't consistently competitive. Over the last decade, he did have 3 great seasons but had 7 mediocre or bad seasons.

I don't know if I have an exact definition of "competitive," but if I had to pin one down I'd say consistently in the upper third of the conference. So for Big 12 purposes, finishing in the top 3 of that conference consistently. In 7 of Patterson's 10 seasons as a Big 12 member, he is going to finish outside of that top 3. "Competitive" certainly isn't championship contender every year, but "competitive" is a higher bar than simply not coming in or around dead last.

as the next head coach at Tennessee......book it!
omg what a thing to say - if you believed that you would have kept fulmar for sure.. patterson has been a non factor coach wise or the last 3 years. What maximal disrespect to heupel - go root for another team u idiot

omg what a thing to say - if you believed that you would have kept fulmar for sure.. patterson has been a non factor coach wise or the last 3 years. What maximal disrespect to heupel - go root for another team u idiot
did u check the date on the comment moron? good gawd ur f'n stupid. that comment had nothing to do with heupel or the coaching search in which we hired him dumbass so watch who tf you're calling an idiot, idiot

and the real idiot is the one who can't spell fulmer.

VN Store

Back