Oregon crowd nice,but a strange looking bunch in general

LOL it's funny to hear all the stereotypes of what people out east have of Oregon... all the "granola" types you expected to see don't really follow football. Despite our reputation as a liberal school, i'd be willing to bet 70-80% of the people you encountered at the game were government hating conservatives. The liberals are too busy "raising awareness" and enjoying non-competitive activities like hiking and mountain biking.

Mine used too, small world. We moved from Milwaukie in march to Beaverton. There is a taco stand i hit up every now and then on 13th street there.
I know which one you're talking about. Milwaukie Ave/13th has all sorts of good food, although the hipster quotient goes up exponentially the further north you go.

I lived in Cedar Hills for a year. Not my favorite. heh

I sat in front of 3 Oregon fans and I hated them! This mousy girl with glasses was complaining about pom-poms (mine) the entire first half when we were winning and 1 of the guys with her was obnoxiously wasted and kept bothering me and my friend! By the end of the 3rd quarter an older Vols fan yelled at the top of his lungs for them to shut up. I would have been happy with that but the annoying trio proceeded to be rude! They were TERRIBLE :furious3:

LOL it's funny to hear all the stereotypes of what people out east have of Oregon... all the "granola" types you expected to see don't really follow football. Despite our reputation as a liberal school, i'd be willing to bet 70-80% of the people you encountered at the game were government hating conservatives. The liberals are too busy "raising awareness" and enjoying non-competitive activities like hiking and mountain biking.

Thank god... I was concerned our stadium was infiltrated with a bunch of liberals.

You must be from Springfield, Grants Pass, or one of the run-down coastal cities. Yes, most of the rural cities in Oregon are very conservative, but they have extremely small populaces. Portland, Eugene, Bend, and Ashland are very liberal cities (think Seattle and San Francisco) and make up nearly 75% of the state's total population. Oregon and Washington are the only states where assisted suicide (euthanasia) is legal. Oregon was one of the first eight states in the U.S. to legalize medical marijuana.

U of O is nothing like a Southern school. A lot of kids who go there couldn't care less about the sports teams. Ducks football is well supported by many people who have no connection to the university, since the Portland Trailblazers are the only professional sports team in the state. During the 2008 election period, Barack Obama spoke at UO twice and Bill Clinton once. None of the Republican candidates bothered to come anywhere near campus.

It is no coincidence that the best educated cities also happen to be very liberal cities. It doesn't mean that conservatives aren't smart, but liberals tend to place a heavy emphasis on education. I actually identify with some libertarian ideas, so I don't identify with either of the major political parties.

Anyways, enough with the political talk. I just wanted to correct SurfDuck who for some reason wants to pass Oregon off as a conservative state.

Derek Dooley appears to be a terrific hire and I wouldn't be surprised if the Vols win 8 games this year. QB may be an area of weakness, but Tauren Poole looks as good as any running back I've seen over the past four years. Tennessee's young o-line should improve as the season progresses.

Good luck the rest of the season. I respect Tennessee for scheduling tough OOC opponents unlike some other SEC programs (coughFloridaAlabamaArkansascough).

Duck and Husky fan, huh?

And the state is more like 52/48 liberal to conservative.
Undergrad=UO
Grad school=UW (only a UW basketball fan)

Election results from 2008:
% of state that voted for Obama
California 61.1 %
Michigan 57.4
Washington 57.4
Oregon 57.1
New Hampshire 54.3
Iowa 54
Colorado 53.5

I sat in front of 3 Oregon fans and I hated them! This mousy girl with glasses was complaining about pom-poms (mine) the entire first half when we were winning and 1 of the guys with her was obnoxiously wasted and kept bothering me and my friend! By the end of the 3rd quarter an older Vols fan yelled at the top of his lungs for them to shut up. I would have been happy with that but the annoying trio proceeded to be rude! They were TERRIBLE :furious3:
The era when I learned my visitor etiquette I would have had my rear kicked for acting up in someone else' stadium. I knew it and it was a good reason to keep things in check. I'm not an advocate of violence but as a general observation I'd say people are alot more polite when they know there's a whoopin' comin' down on them if they overstep a boundary.

VN Store

Back