Opinion on Vol symbol

The beauty of a message board; a comment about a poorly designed and dated logo is taken as a personal attack and an insult to the state's history. Wow! This does add evidence that my beloved Volunteers have the stupidest, most thin skinned fan base in the country.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I guess you should go back and read your post again. The logo that is so "redneck" in your eyes is nothing more than a silloutte of Davy. I don't care that you don't like the logo. I'm just pointing out why it makes sense for us to use his likeness as a representative of our program.

UT-smokey-logo.jpg

Only one that came to mind

That's actually really cool. I like the classic T personally, but man, show me a helmet with that logo incorporated just for laughs.

Any photoshoppers want to create a Smokey helmet?

Haha, you don't say?

:)

Hard to believe, right? Being from a city that has a week where we celebrate mules and all. lol. Of course, Columbia is one of the bigger cities in the state, so I'm not alone on the redneck wagon.

I guess you should go back and read your post again. The logo that is so "redneck" in your eyes is nothing more than a silloutte of Davy. I don't care that you don't like the logo. I'm just pointing out why it makes sense for us to use his likeness as a representative of our program.

Agreed 100% DC should be our main mascot, NOT Smokey. Smokey is a nice secondary mascot and should serve as Davey's companion on the field but not the main focus.

Pioneer%202.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed 100% DC should be our main mascot, NOT Smokey. Smokey is a nice secondary mascot and should serve as Davey's companion on the field but not the main focus.

Pioneer%202.jpg

Completely agree, DC is the essence of Volunteer. Love Smokey, but we aren't the Tennessee blue tick coon hounds. Just sayin'.

The power T is ruined for me because we stole it from Texas.

considering it's been on the helmet since 64..Texas has a cow on their's..both states start with a T..yeah we stole it from them..the logic evades me

FAIL

Completely agree, DC is the essence of Volunteer. Love Smokey, but we aren't the Tennessee blue tick coon hounds. Just sayin'.

:lolabove: Hilarious! Could you just imagine how THAT would sound over the PA?

"And here come your Tennessee Blue Tick Coon Hounds!!!!"

RT @KendallRogersPG: Tennessee coach Dave Serrano said UT going back to interlocking "UT" hat, and late 90's jerseys.

Via twitter

I took you up on your offer and read my post again. I failed to see where I implied DC is redneck. I pretty clearly stated that the LOGO is redneck. Now, why don't you read my post again that you quoted, and specifically pay attention to the part about thin skinned and stupid.

I love it when people refer to the Texas "T" as the Tennessee "T" I hate everything about the state of Texas including them ripping off the by about 100 years the original UT.

Piss on Texas and there dirty looking T...

Vol for life.

If historical accuracy, clarity and precision are matters of concern in selecting symbols for our beloved institution (and they should be), Davy Crockett would, arguably, be the best choice for both our state and university. Crockett clearly evokes the image of Tennesseans who volunteered to fight, in great numbers, in both the War of 1812 and, as was the case with Crockett himself, at the Alamo against Mexico. If you take Crockett out of the equation, I would argue that the Tennessee Walking Horse is a better symbolic representation of the state than the blue tick coon hound. At least its name instantaneously creates a mental link to Tennessee whereas I dare say that most people outside the state of Tennessee could not tell you what breed of dog Smoky is. If they aren’t reasonably knowledgeable football fans, they may not make any connection whatsoever between Smoky and the University of Tennessee.

I took you up on your offer and read my post again. I failed to see where I implied DC is redneck. I pretty clearly stated that the LOGO is redneck. Now, why don't you read my post again that you quoted, and specifically pay attention to the part about thin skinned and stupid.

Wow. Pay attention for the next couple of sentences so I can break this down for you.

exhibit A:
What you said: "I think the V*ls logo with DC is as redneck as it gets."

What I understood: this guy thinks that the ut logo with the silloutte of dc is redneck.

exhibit b:
What I said: "Wearing a shirt with his likeness on it does not make a man seem redneck." ( I also gave you insight as to why a logo including him should not be viewed as redneck.)

What you understood: He thinks I think DC is a redneck

exhibit c:
What I said: " The logo that is so "redneck" in your eyes is nothing more than a silloutte of Davy. I don't care that you don't like the logo. I'm just pointing out why it makes sense for us to use his likeness as a representative of our program."

What you understood: Dude still thinks I think DC is a redneck. I'm gonna call him stupid and thin skinned. Yeah, that should teach him to contradict my opinion.

exhibit d:
What you said: "I took you up on your offer and read my post again. I failed to see where I implied DC is redneck."

I NEVER SAID YOU THOUGHT DC WAS A REDNECK. I SAID YOU FEEL THAT WEARING HIS LIKENESS ON A SHIRT MADE YOU FEEL REDNECK AND THAT'S PLAIN STUPID.

exhibit e:
What you said: "I pretty clearly stated that the LOGO is redneck."

What I say: I clearly told you why it's not as well as why we should use it more often.

You are the one who started off your post with a comment about being a minority in feeling that the logo sucked. One would have assumed that accepting that fact would also prepare you for when others disagreed.

Do you see why I think it's ironic that you are calling me stupid and thin skinned? I would say the same about you, but i'm kinda afraid that you could potentially be retarted. I would then feel like a jerk for calling a retard stupid. So, let me leave you with this thought. I would rather have a disagreement with a fellow Vol than a friedly conversation with a Bam or a Gator. We don't have to agree on a logo to both be Vol fans, and thats all that matters.

Last edited:
Wow. Pay attention for the next couple of sentences so I can break this down for you.

What you said: "I think the V*ls logo with DC is as redneck as it gets."

What I understood: this guy thinks that the ut logo with the silloutte of dc is redneck.

What I said: "Wearing a shirt with his likeness on it does not make a man seem redneck." ( I also gave you insight as to why a logo including him should not be viewed as redneck.)

What you understood: He thinks I think DC is a redneck

What I said: " The logo that is so "redneck" in your eyes is nothing more than a silloutte of Davy. I don't care that you don't like the logo. I'm just pointing out why it makes sense for us to use his likeness as a representative of our program."

What you understood: Dude still thinks I think DC is a redneck. I'm gonna call him stupid and thin skinned. Yeah, that should teach him to contradict my opinion.

What you said: "I took you up on your offer and read my post again. I failed to see where I implied DC is redneck."

I NEVER SAID YOU THOUGHT DC WAS A REDNECK. I SAID YOU FEEL THAT WEARING HIS LIKENESS ON A SHIRT MADE YOU FEEL REDNECK AND THAT'S PLAIN STUPID.

What you said: "I pretty clearly stated that the LOGO is redneck."

What I say: I clearly told you why it's not as well as why we should use it more often.

You are the one who started off your post with a comment about being a minority in feeling that the logo sucked. One would have assumed that accepting that fact would also prepare you for when others disagreed.

Do you see why I think it's ironic that you are calling me stupid and thin skinned? I would say the same about you, but i'm kinda afraid that you could potentially be retarted. I would then feel like a jerk for calling a retard stupid. So, let me leave you with this thought. I would rather have a disagreement with a fellow Vol than a friedly conversation with a Bam or a Gator. We don't have to agree on a logo to both be Vol fans, and thats all that matters.

Wut

VN Store

Back