On a freakout scale, just where are we

Most anyone around at this point is either level headed and a VFL no matter what or heavily medicated. Not sure I would go with the term freak out.

Pruitt can't fix what ails this team no matter how many aights he throws at with the roster as currently constructed IMO.

Id put both at an 8 or 9 to answer OPs question though and include the kicking game as well.

What exactly are you worried about in the kicking game? Is it our 2 UA All-American punters or the number 6 Kohl’s rated PK (2017)?

Reactions: 1 person
OL: 5.5 and trending down. Trey and Chance coming back plus better emphasis on S&C plus a pretty good batch of Freshmen/JUCOs reporting in starting next month will put us in a significantly better place...immensely better than the last 4 games of the season when we had 1 starter out there (True Freshmen Trey Smith).

CB: 5.5 and flat. The only reason, I have them that low is I feel Pruitt will get the most possible out of them by the time WV game comes around. This is his bread and butter and he is investing a lot of time getting these guys ready.

From the posts on here we are on the verge of a meltdown daily.

So many want to play off how important Vol football is to them.

Denial is our 1st problem. We act like we don't care when all along our Orange Blood is boiling. Sure we act like, "It's just a game.", when we all know better.

When the pressure is on, it's nice to know that we can all put on a good poker face and behave like good winners just as we have behaved properly after a loss.

Nothing stings like a Vol loss. I won't taste my poison until it happens.

Right now we are undefeated. It's time some of us acted like that for a while.

Anyone that says we won't be a better team in 2018 vs 2017 is off their rocker. We'll see how we stack up against our schedule this fall. Until then it's all speculation. We can all look at a bell curve and know what we should expect.

None of us can look into a crystal ball and see what will happen(My dad had dreams about stuff. But didn't have a crystal ball.).

We are better off with 1st year HC than a HC that played checkers on a chessboard. Even with our endzones painted Checkerboards it's still a Chess Match.

If that don't stoke your fire in April, nothing will.

137 days till kickoff. I like where we are headed.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
The only people who will freak out are the ones who have unreasonable expectations for this team and potentially live in an alternate reality.

If this team goes better than 5-7 its a miracle.

No o-line. No proven RB's. Garbage QB's..its going to be a rough one.

I would like to think we're not garbage..

7 on the OL
5 on the DBs

The reason I'm so "confident" (good Lord!) is that we just need a few healthy returns on the OL by fall camp. At DB, having CJP directly involved with that group takes it up 3-4 points. I'm not convinced of him as our HC. But, when it comes to position and coordinating, then he's about as good as you'll find IMO.

hard to freak out when it's not really a surprise. my freak out meter is on zero but none of what we've heard about the CB's and Oline is all that surprising.

in fact, i might actually lean toward being a little more optimistic about it if we can get healthy up front, and a couple of the new guys, and the guys coming in this summer, can become meaningful contributors.

but even if that does happen, we're still thin, and it won't mean we're good by any stretch. it just has the potential to not be as bad as we think....and the biggest "if" is health. that also improves our chances.

bottom line, we need a lot to happen developmentally, and need to get a little lucky on the health front.
This

Why do we do this to ourselves ? I get it ,off Season worry , what if’s , no qb, wrs can’t catch the ball , no running game or we have a good rbs but we aren’t seeing them run in spring practice so there must be something wrong , we suck blah blah blah . We have a new coach and staff even by negavols standards they are big upgrades from the last one , the coaches are gathering film and info on every single player we have so when they actually start to practice they will know who works better where . I don’t do prediction on wins vs loses but I do pridict our in game coaching and effort from the players are going to be much much better this year and in years to come .

Don't get me wrong, I think Pruitt is going to do well, but we are literally the worst we have ever been. It's going to take him a few years to get us built back up.

Producing a single solitary SEC win would be a 100% improvement over last season. I like the staff we have in place and I think the young men on this team will be driven to play at a level they've not played previously. Are there enough of them? Time will tell. I however do not see any scenario where we pull a worst to first season out of our donkeys.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pruitt is going to do well, but we are literally the worst we have ever been. It's going to take him a few years to get us built back up.

I go back and forth debating in my head between a lack of talent vs a lack of toughness and sound football teachings . I lean more towards the later because even at skilled positions it was easy to see that we lacked toughness and kids being coached up . I’m not a star gazer per say because a good coaching staff can get every ounce of talent out of him that he has , where a not so good staff can make a 5 star look like he’s a bust .

Overall I think the majority of fans are not freaking out. We know the situation of this team and the time it can take with hopefully good coaches.
Of coarse,the fringes are gonna be their usual selves and freak out either way.

Reactions: 2 people
If this were Xbox or PS4, I'd simulate the 2018 season and pick it up in 2019, but its not. My expectation is a lot of early saturday games on the SEC network.

There are just too many unknowns at this time to answer such a manufactured question.

Why do people think they have to have absolute certainty at a time when we are raising questions, looking at options, patiently progressing with healing, etc.?

As far as cornerback and the oline are concerned.

0 is no concern at all. CJP has got it handled.
10 is I’m on the Henley Street bridge ready to jump.

I don't really know where numb is on your scale, but that's where I am. If this team figures out how to win more than six games this year, I'll be impressed.

As far as cornerback and the oline are concerned.

0 is no concern at all. CJP has got it handled.
10 is I’m on the Henley Street bridge ready to jump.

If ya have to ask, then you should probably just take a deep breath and calm down. We will do good to win 6 games this year, does that help?

Very low expectations...like others, hoping for 6 wins...we downgraded our seats to the cheapest so the investment is less...

And now basketball is something to look forward to.

VN Store

Back