Old white man shoots pregnant black woman intruder (he's going to jail)

Given his age and the events leading up to the crime, put him in a minimum security federal prison capable of assisted living for 10-15.

Wow. I too think he deserves to be put on trial and convicted, wouldn't be shocked or upset if he was acquitted. If convicted from what I know, probation is what I feel is warranted.

Reactions: 2 people
The guy committed murder. Plain and simple. It's no longer self defense when you pursue someone and shoot them while they are fleeing. I understand the rage associated with someone intruding into your home and stealing your hard-earned property, but when they run, it's time to call the police, not pursue vigilante justice.

If you have never been robbed, particularity while you are actually in the house, you don't understand. Much the same as telling a rape victim you understand.

Dink, I vaguely remember your situation- but would you have shot at the intruder given the chance? Did he harm you in any way?

Yes, but only if I had the drop on them and they were still in my house.

Yes, see my previous post.

I don't think anyone is failing to see why he did it... it's still wrong and he deserves punishment for being irresponsible with both his firearm and human life.

If you don't want the risks associated with committing felonious acts (prison, or in this case, death), don't be irresponsible and abide by the law. He had been previously burgled, very possibly by the same people. It's apparent that the law was not being enforced, and he sure as heck wasn't being protected. Would that not imply that this latest incident would have gone unresolved had he not taken immediate action?

Was his response the best possible? Of course not. But was it understandable? Definitely. Was it excusable? I think so.

If the prosecution wants to charge him, it should be with something minor, and he should be offered a plea deal that is no more than a slap on the wrist. If he is charged with something more serious, he should be acquitted.

Reactions: 1 person
If he had just shot them in his home as they were robbing him or threatening him, I think we all would have less of a problem with it. Its when he chases after them that the issue arises.

I agree, though, with above poster who says defense attorney will just put out there that the guy had been beaten, he's 80, he doesn't know what they are going to do next, he thought he needed to continue to defend himself, even into the area outside the home, because he was afraid and maybe, yes, a bit panicked, but who wouldn't be?

If you don't want the risks associated with committing felonious acts (prison, or in this case, death), don't be irresponsible and abide by the law. He had been previously burgled, very possibly by the same people. It's apparent that the law was not being enforced, and he sure as heck wasn't being protected. Would that not imply that this latest incident would have gone unresolved had he not taken immediate action?

Was his response the best possible? Of course not. But was it understandable? Definitely. Was it excusable? I think so.

If the prosecution wants to charge him, it should be with something minor, and he should be offered a plea deal that is no more than a slap on the wrist. If he is charged with something more serious, he should be acquitted.

"Very possibly by the same people" isn't enough to warrant taking someone's life, Etizzle.

No, I'd have called 911 to get them there ASAP in case they came back. I wouldn't go chasing after them.

Who, in genuine fear as opposed to being pissed off, chases after the people he is afraid of?

Come on.

If I am afraid for my life, and I have the capability of hiding with the hope that protection arrives in time, or end the threat myself, I am choosing the latter. Fear can be a powerful motivator.

He didn't want to get blood all over his house, so he did it outside

Legally speaking it's the gap between understandable and excusable that's at issue. Also legally speaking I think that gap is wider than you might believe.

Frankly I'm still waiting for a more solid story on precisely when/where the shooting part took place. That's absolutely going to matter.

He's 80. Even if convicted what are they gonna do? I can only imagine the "victim's" family will be coming out of the ghetto to get paid.

By itself, I agree wholeheartedly. But when you factor in that they had severely beaten and injured him during a home invasion, I think it is.

It all makes it understandable, but nowhere near excusable.

It promotes taking the law into your own hands; vigilantism isn't a good thing to OK.

I can understand the mans actions, just can't justify them. He was stupid to make the comments he did w/o a lawyer.

I would have swore up and down she stopped to get a rock to hit me with, felt afraid for my life and fired in self defense.

It all makes it understandable, but nowhere near excusable.

It promotes taking the law into your own hands; vigilantism isn't a good thing to OK.

When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away. Do not confuse my support for self-defense for a blanket endorsement of vigilantism - I would support harsh punishment if he hunted them down days/weeks/months/years later.

1. I was beaten, and my dog's life was threatened at gunpoint before mine. They took my wallet out, and asked if the address on it was my parents' address and used that as leverage. Needless to say, these guys were making my blood boil.

2. I stated earlier that I understand why he may have done it. Still wasn't right.

3. No, it does not. Use of a firearm comes down to two things: life is in danger, or shots have been fired from the other party. If someone is in your home, then you can assume the former.

That had to be a horrible situation Dink. I honestly cannot imagine the feeling... nor would I want to.

On the question of the same event occurring outside the home, this is why I ask...

HOUSTON - A suspected robber ended up in the hospital Thursday morning after his victim fought back.

Detectives said a man was walking through The Augusta Apartment Homes parking lot at around 11:45 Wednesday night.

According to investigators, he caught the eye of another man, who walked up and demanded the victim's wallet, cash and cell phone.

Instead of handing over his valuables, the man pulled out a gun and shot the robber twice.

Officers said the suspect then ran to a getaway car that was waiting nearby.

Deputies tracked him down at Memorial Hermann Northwest Hospital, where he was being treated for gunshot wounds.

Investigators said the suspect was in surgery Thursday morning.

The case was referred to a Grand Jury for review, but officers didn't expect the man who pulled the trigger to face charges.

I can understand the mans actions, just can't justify them. He was stupid to make the comments he did w/o a lawyer.

I would have swore up and down she stopped to get a rock to hit me with, felt afraid for my life and fired in self defense.

Maybe the old man is senile. Not that it gives him the excuse to do whatever he wants, but he also might not be able to comprehend his situation.

That's the only inexcusable thing he did - should have exercised his right to remain silent until meeting with legal counsel.

On the question of the same event occurring outside the home, this is why I ask...

Obviously, the big difference here is that a life wasn't taken. Additionally, this was a knee-jerk reaction, and the perp wasn't running away.

I'd be shocked if the shooter was charged.

Last edited:
That had to be a horrible situation Dink. I honestly cannot imagine the feeling... nor would I want to.

Unless the person in the example you cite here was shot in the back while fleeing the scene (as was the story in the OP, at least as far as I know to this point) I'm afraid we're talking two very different scenarios.

Unless the person in the example you cite here was shot in the back while fleeing the scene (as was the story in the OP, at least as far as I know to this point) I'm afraid we're talking two very different scenarios.

Yeah, the big disconnect is the mystery of not knowing what the robber is capable of versus knowing what the robber was capable of and watching them flee.

VN Store

Back