Old School Punter, the new PG

Good post, but he will never admit he is wrong.
You see, the problem was that BL was never given the opportunity while Cuonzo Martin was coach. Coach T gave him the opportunity and he was making the most of it until tragedy struck! Hate that for a kid who had worked his butt off for four years making Tennessee a better basketball program. Bet he had to mimic a lot of point guards on the scout team during those years for sure! Coach T realized just how good he was and was giving him the chance he so richly deserved.

You see, the problem was that BL was never given the opportunity while Cuonzo Martin was coach. Coach T gave him the opportunity and he was making the most of it until tragedy struck! Hate that for a kid who had worked his butt off for four years making Tennessee a better basketball program. Bet he had to mimic a lot of point guards on the scout team during those years for sure! Coach T realized just how good he was and was giving him the chance he so richly deserved.

You might be right about CM not giving Lopez a chance. The pg's were pretty bad last year except for a few games by Barton. Lopez had to be a little better than the overrated Darius Thompson.

You might be right about CM not giving Lopez a chance. The pg's were pretty bad last year except for a few games by Barton. Lopez had to be a little better than the overrated Darius Thompson.

Lopez was a walk on for a reason. Not saying he is horrible but I dont think he would have changed the program. Would he have gotten min this yr sure but would he have started I doubt it. And you have to think that if Bonds becomes eligible even if Lopez was healthy Bonds would have still played more minutes than Lopez

Lopez was a walk on for a reason. Not saying he is horrible but I dont think he would have changed the program. Would he have gotten min this yr sure but would he have started I doubt it. And you have to think that if Bonds becomes eligible even if Lopez was healthy Bonds would have still played more minutes than Lopez
If you think he would not have started when we still have no point guard, what can I say? Punter sure wouldn't be working at the point right now. I guess Chiles would have been the starter, huh? Geez! I really don't understand the unreal thinking that a senior walk on could never possibly be good enough to start. Doesn't make any sense at all to me! We actually have a floor coach now who can manage game situations that we never had before. That is good for the program. He can also recognize talent when he sees it!

Not sure Thompson was overrated. He did exactly what I expect a 3 star freshman to do. Showed signs of being a really good player but also struggled with adjusting to the college game. Not to mention he wasn't put in great positions to show what he can do

If you think he would not have started when we still have no point guard, what can I say? Punter sure wouldn't be working at the point right now. I guess Chiles would have been the starter, huh? Geez! I really don't understand the unreal thinking that a senior walk on could never possibly be good enough to start. Doesn't make any sense at all to me! We actually have a floor coach now who can manage game situations that we never had before. That is good for the program. He can also recognize talent when he sees it!

Ok. Name another walk on pg on any team that started and made a meaningful impact on the team. I will be awaiting your response

Ok. Name another walk on pg on any team that started and made a meaningful impact on the team. I will be awaiting your response
Jarrod Polson, 6'2", Kentucky, scored 11 points against Tennessee in 2013, rated as one of the ten best walk on's in NCAA history.

Reactions: 1 person
Jarrod Polson, 6'2", Kentucky, scored 11 points against Tennessee in 2013, rated as one of the ten best walk on's in NCAA history.

Ok I will give you Polson but if Cal had has his way he would not have ever sniffed the floor. He played out of dire need. Oh and do you remember what happened that year he played against us. If Cal had a more servicable pg it is possible the game turned out different. Fact is of Lopez had to get heavy min this yr we are in trouble. Also why do you think CDT continued to search for a poss pg before Lopez was injured? Imo he knew if he had to rely on a walk on as a starter for the most important position on the floor we were going to be in trouble

Last edited:
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if punter led us in scoring some nights the kids is aggressive and can knock down a shot

It wouldn't surprise me if he lead in ppg for us this year. So many unknowns. Richardson will be guarded heavily so he may be our 2nd best option.

It wouldn't surprise me if he lead in ppg for us this year. So many unknowns. Richardson will be guarded heavily so he may be our 2nd best option.

Yea the kid plays hard for sure.. one time in particular that stood out to me... during a scrimmage session they were going to 11 and kp team had 8.. they ran their play and couldn't get a shot and the shot clock got down to 2 the kicked it out to kp for a deep 3 with the shot clock expiring and splash... that's the kinda stuff we need on this team.. tough kids that little moments like that they don't blink an eye I think were really going to enjoy kp this year

Yea the kid plays hard for sure.. one time in particular that stood out to me... during a scrimmage session they were going to 11 and kp team had 8.. they ran their play and couldn't get a shot and the shot clock got down to 2 the kicked it out to kp for a deep 3 with the shot clock expiring and splash... that's the kinda stuff we need on this team.. tough kids that little moments like that they don't blink an eye I think were really going to enjoy kp this year
Other than Jordan McRae, we havent had those moments in a while.

That's awesome. He's a junior right? So we'll have him here next year too?

Other than Jordan McRae, we havent had those moments in a while.

Granted I understand it was practice but they were still going hard and couldn't find a shot and kp didn't hesitate he wanted the ball and he made a play it was nice to see

There's a reason Tyndall wanted to try and make Punter the PG, and it's not because he's got crazy handles or great vision, he wants his best 5 out there and Punter is in that group. There's probably gonna be some games where shots aren't falling and things look ugly, but there's also gonna be some games IMO where Punter, Richardson and Baulkman are in the zone.

Polson averaged 1.5 pts per game for his career. Scored 32 pts in 2013-14 season in 33 games. Who rated him one of ten best walk ons in NCAA history? His mom

Oh, I am sorry averaged 3 pts a game in 2012-13.

Well, if BR says it, then it must be true. BR has a strong reputation for being on the cutting edge of sports journalism excellence.
I must say, sir you are certainly diligent. To find such an obscure article and to even find an even more obscure player like Polson just to defend your assumption that BL was going to start at pg before his injury, you sir deserve an A for effort.
I have a question for you, Have you ever watched BL play in an NCAA game?

Well, if BR says it, then it must be true. BR has a strong reputation for being on the cutting edge of sports journalism excellence.
I must say, sir you are certainly diligent. To find such an obscure article and to even find an even more obscure player like Polson just to defend your assumption that BL was going to start at pg before his injury, you sir deserve an A for effort.
I have a question for you, Have you ever watched BL play in an NCAA game?

Though I respect Polson, isn't the argument about starting?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Polson had 1 in his entire career.

Saul Smith was a walk-on at Kentucky and received major minutes. Of course, he was Tubby's son and didn't have I be on scholarship, but he still was a walk-on.

Though I respect Polson, isn't the argument about starting?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Polson had 1 in his entire career.

That's my point. OP is using Polson as an example that BL was going to be our starting pg. Amazingly BR listed him as one of the top 10 walk ons in NCAA history. Wow

VN Store

Back