Ok NCAA, follow the NFL again

There shouldn't be rules that favor any position over another. it is giving an unfair competitive advantage to the offense. I don't want to watch football that is two hand touch, most people don't either.

There is a reason the Pro Bowl game has terrible viewership numbers. Its boring just seeing the offense trot up and down the field.
Nobody wants to see 2nd and 3rd team QBs playing the last half of the year either. The change is about keeping the best players healthy which I fully support.

Reactions: vol_in_ga and GAVol
Nobody wants to see 2nd and 3rd team QBs playing the last half of the year either. The change is about keeping the best players healthy which I fully support.

Yeah, I hated seeing Hooker have to play after Milton was injured. You sold me, change the rule.

Reactions: vol_in_ga
which QB got hurt from a hip drop tackle?

the biggest name I found hurt by a hip drop tackle was Mark Andrews a TE.

what are you going to do, make the QB two hand touch so he never gets hurt? Its laughable at this point. depth and development have always been part of the game due to injury. what happened to "the next man up".

The rules should only care about keeping the field of play fair and even. the rules shouldn't give two darns about what the fans WANT to see. thats not the refs job. you want the refs biasedly calling games to ensure the crowd gets what they want? I sure as heck don't. I want them to call a fair game and be involved as little as possible, but maybe you like all the review time outs and the refs deciding games. its weird, but you do you.

The NFL's own data showed a significant drop in the amount of missed games due to injury last year, even with the scary hip drop tackle. 700 fewer games missed.

couldn't find the actual data from 2023, but going back to 2020 (closest I could find)

There were 2,113 injuries in 2020. the 15 hip drop tackles in 2023 would have been .7% of injuries.

there were 3.08 injuries per game that resulted in missed playing time. hip drop tackles were responsible for 0.05 of those injuries per game.

I haven't been able to find any starting QB that was taken out due to a hip drop tackle

Those outcomes are rare though.

Very true but injuries are a part of the game, tennis players get injured. There is a fine line between making the game safer and making the game unwatchable.

The NFL's own data showed a significant drop in the amount of missed games due to injury last year, even with the scary hip drop tackle. 700 fewer games missed.

couldn't find the actual data from 2023, but going back to 2020 (closest I could find)

There were 2,113 injuries in 2020. the 15 hip drop tackles in 2023 would have been .7% of injuries.

there were 3.08 injuries per game that resulted in missed playing time. hip drop tackles were responsible for 0.05 of those injuries per game.

I haven't been able to find any starting QB that was taken out due to a hip drop tackle

Tannehill. Twice.

Very true but injuries are a part of the game, tennis players get injured. There is a fine line between making the game safer and making the game unwatchable.
Believe me, I get it. We’ve all seen the bad roughing the passer and targeting calls. It’s never good when officials have one more judgement call to make. I can already see the flags coming out followed by the color commentator saying “What’s the tackler supposed to do right there? Just let him break the tackle?”

I wonder what the data is for hip drops that cause injury vs those that don’t? If I remember, the problem with the horse collar tackles wasn’t that they were common, it was that guys seemed to get hurt just about every time they happened.

I wonder what the data is for hip drops that cause injury vs those that don’t? If I remember, the problem with the horse collar tackles wasn’t that they were common, it was that guys seemed to get hurt just about every time they happened.

15 injuries on 230 tackles last season.

Tannehill. Twice.
Right lots of fans experience were ruined when Tannehill went down....

and Tannehill has torn the same ACL twice, in 2017 and 2018. Were those the two incidents you were talking about? because you lead us to believe it was hip drop tackles last year that were knocking out multiple QBs and forcing fans to watch 2nd and 3rd string guys.

Right lots of fans experience were ruined when Tannehill went down....

and Tannehill has torn the same ACL twice, in 2017 and 2018. Were those the two incidents you were talking about? because you lead us to believe it was hip drop tackles last year that were knocking out multiple QBs and forcing fans to watch 2nd and 3rd string guys.

No, his ankle injuries that shelved him in 2022 and 2023. Mahomes had an ankle injury in the 2022 playoffs from one, but he played on it. Maybe that name means more, I don’t know.

And I lead you to believe? Where did I do that? You asked for a starting QB hurt by a hip drop. I gave you one. Geno Smith also last season. Probably not important enough to matter either, though.

I was just giving you the data.

15 injuries on 230 tackles last season.
6.5% of hip drop tackles causing injuries is enough to ban?

how does that compare to other banned tackles? Horse collars or targetting? Its kinda pointless to trot out the number and say its a problem without any context. Is the hip drop injuring people to the same rate? Worse? Less? how does the 6.5 compare to a "regular" tackle?

the way its talked about it was far more than than 230 hip drop tackles. for the record that is less than 1 hip drop tackle per regular season game.

apparently saving 15 injuries out of 2113 is going to completely save the fan experience. you know as long as you ignore that some of those replaced hip drop tackles are still going to lead to injury

No, his ankle injuries that shelved him in 2022 and 2023. Mahomes had an ankle injury in the 2022 playoffs from one, but he played on it. Maybe that name means more, I don’t know.

And I lead you to believe? Where did I do that? You asked for a starting QB hurt by a hip drop. I gave you one. Geno Smith also last season. Probably not important enough to matter either, though.

I was just giving you the data.
at least now you are finally giving me QBs to back up the original claim. I would definitely agree Smith counts, Tannehill is injury prone. Looks like he has had one full season as the starter.

6.5% of hip drop tackles causing injuries is enough to ban?

how does that compare to other banned tackles? Horse collars or targetting? Its kinda pointless to trot out the number and say its a problem without any context. Is the hip drop injuring people to the same rate? Worse? Less? how does the 6.5 compare to a "regular" tackle?

the way its talked about it was far more than than 230 hip drop tackles. for the record that is less than 1 hip drop tackle per regular season game.

apparently saving 15 injuries out of 2113 is going to completely save the fan experience. you know as long as you ignore that some of those replaced hip drop tackles are still going to lead to injury

According to the NFL announcement, hip drop tackles carry a 25x higher rate of injury vs a standard tackle. I’m sure they also looked at the rugby data who already banned the hip drop tackle. I don’t know the numbers behind the calculation though.

at least now you are finally giving me QBs to back up the original claim. I would definitely agree Smith counts, Tannehill is injury prone. Looks like he has had one full season as the starter.

You were engaging a different poster, Louder. I just answered your request. Pay attention.

Reactions: LouderVol
According to the NFL announcement, hip drop tackles carry a 25x higher rate of injury vs a standard tackle. I’m sure they also looked at the rugby data who already banned the hip drop tackle. I don’t know the numbers behind the calculation though.
I don't believe that.

went and did some digging.
there were 35,546 total tackles, if you take out the 230 hip drops there were 35,316 tackles. not sure how to account for the "tags" like when a receiver is on the ground or going out of bounds so I am leaving it.
there were 2113 total injuries (on the field). if you take out the 15 hip drops there were 2098 injuries. Not sure how to account for non-contact injuries so I will just leave them all in there.

2098/35316 means there was an injury on 5.9% of non-hip drop tackles
15/230 6.5% of hip drop tackles resulted in injuries.

as I stated I am not sure how to account for the non-contact injuries, but I can't see anyway they got 25x. you would need something like 0.26% of tackles to cause injuries to get that number. even if you assume half of the injuries weren't caused by tackles, the remaining tackles injured 2.95% of the time, not .26%.

to get the rest of the tackles to only cause injuries .26% of the time you would have to assume that less than 10% of all on the field injuries were caused by tackles. that seems farfetched to the point I can't believe it.

This thread is full of he-men—who are really tough, just ask them—talking out of their asses. It’s not just tackling low, it’s grabbing the ballcarrier, swinging yourself around, and dropping your body weight on the back of their legs.

Some of y’all would complain if your ice cream was cold. Do some research for once before you start your reactionary bitching and moaning.

Reactions: VolNExile and GAVol
Defenders have been tackling runners from behind since the game began. In recent years, the hip drop tackle has been introduced that prevents the ball carrier falling forward & gaining another yard or two.

The risk for serious injury with the full weight of the defender falling on the ball carriers legs, knees, ankles etc is too much simply for a yard or two.
And yet, they call it a game of inches.

I don't believe that.

went and did some digging.
there were 35,546 total tackles, if you take out the 230 hip drops there were 35,316 tackles. not sure how to account for the "tags" like when a receiver is on the ground or going out of bounds so I am leaving it.
there were 2113 total injuries (on the field). if you take out the 15 hip drops there were 2098 injuries. Not sure how to account for non-contact injuries so I will just leave them all in there.

2098/35316 means there was an injury on 5.9% of non-hip drop tackles
15/230 6.5% of hip drop tackles resulted in injuries.

as I stated I am not sure how to account for the non-contact injuries, but I can't see anyway they got 25x. you would need something like 0.26% of tackles to cause injuries to get that number. even if you assume half of the injuries weren't caused by tackles, the remaining tackles injured 2.95% of the time, not .26%.

to get the rest of the tackles to only cause injuries .26% of the time you would have to assume that less than 10% of all on the field injuries were caused by tackles. that seems farfetched to the point I can't believe it.
Wish I could give you more likes for the effort that went into this post

If tackles like this continue and injure players then the NCAA might treat it like horse collars.

This is the gruesome Jordan Travis injury last year which was caused by a hip drop tackle. I don't see how people can't see the increased risk of injury that comes from tackles like this. This isn't dragging someone down or knocking them off balance. It's just dropping 200+ pounds on legs that don't bend that way.

How will they determine the difference between a hip drop and just being tackled from behind? I’ll listen more if you can come up with definitions that aren’t open to interpretation. Like horse collar is pretty clear. You have to grab the back of the shoulder pad around the neck opening. Even some apparent horse collars have lacked this and not been called because of it (Jayden Daniel’s against Bama I think is the most recent one that comes to mind for me). If you can’t define and enforce without referee discretion being the number 1 determining factor, I don’t know how you put that into rule. Not fair to the players who are just doing as they’re coached to earn their paycheck, the coaches that have to figure out how to coach to prevent it without encouraging lack of effort, and not fair to officials who have to be the ones that take the blame when they get it wrong. But the nfl did it so I guess it’s right? Maybe we’ll just eliminate tackles from behind at some point? I’m all for trying to eliminate “life changing” injuries from the game but at some point you have to say it’s tackle football, it comes with a risk of injury that every player understands can happen when they step on the field.

which QB got hurt from a hip drop tackle?

the biggest name I found hurt by a hip drop tackle was Mark Andrews a TE.

what are you going to do, make the QB two hand touch so he never gets hurt? Its laughable at this point. depth and development have always been part of the game due to injury. what happened to "the next man up".

The rules should only care about keeping the field of play fair and even. the rules shouldn't give two darns about what the fans WANT to see. thats not the refs job. you want the refs biasedly calling games to ensure the crowd gets what they want? I sure as heck don't. I want them to call a fair game and be involved as little as possible, but maybe you like all the review time outs and the refs deciding games. its weird, but you do you.
I feel like it’s not just what some fans want. I also wouldn’t say more fans want this change than don’t. Is the players union not involved in this process at all? Players and Fans ultimately should together have the final say. Do I think they’d agree? Well, I think the “majority” would agree on not out ruling something that can’t be defined well.

All that said, figure out how to protect the players ability to keep playing the game but at the same time there has to be some line we draw or “tackle” football will cease to exist at some point. And I don’t think I’d be as interested in flag football, even if there was no other option. Because it’s not just speed and strategy that makes football the greatest sport in America. It’s the combination of every mental and physical factor that could go into a sports player, in a team sport format, that makes football the best sport in the us (and the world in my opinion).

VN Store

Back