Ok NCAA, follow the NFL again

& outlaw the hip drop tackle.
If tackles like this continue and injure players then the NCAA might treat it like horse collars.

This is the gruesome Jordan Travis injury last year which was caused by a hip drop tackle. I don't see how people can't see the increased risk of injury that comes from tackles like this. This isn't dragging someone down or knocking them off balance. It's just dropping 200+ pounds on legs that don't bend that way.

Watson Brown, former NCAA coach, on Basilio today did a great job explaining the hip drop tackle and why it has no place in football. I encourage everyone to listen to Watson on this subject. The major issue to to prevent injuries to the most talented athletes on the field. The NFL has outlawed it in order to protect the QBs, RBs and Wrs, the players people actually pay money to see play. Colleges should do the same.

If the NFL were truly concerned about player safety AND the quality of the game they would limit player weight, no player over 250lbs and take away the face masks.
Ditka had a hilarious quote about this many years ago. He said that if you went back to leather helmets and no face masks again, then these pretty boys wouldn't be using their helmets as a weapon. He was 100% accurate with that statement.

Reactions: tbh and hog88
If tackles like this continue and injure players then the NCAA might treat it like horse collars.

This is the gruesome Jordan Travis injury last year which was caused by a hip drop tackle. I don't see how people can't see the increased risk of injury that comes from tackles like this. This isn't dragging someone down or knocking them off balance. It's just dropping 200+ pounds on legs that don't bend that way.

That was a good clean tackle from behind.

That was a good clean tackle from behind.
It was legal today but the defender used his weight to drop on the ball carriers legs. He could have easily pulled him down from behind without using his weight falling on his legs.

Maybe defenders want to bring back the below the waist & crackback blocks also. All the rule changes for player safety havent just been to help the offense.

This tackle needs to go away, but the stupid thing is that we will now be subjected to one more thing that they will stop play for so that we can be subjected to a referee staring at a 6 inch screen. It kills the flow and is terrible TV.

Just limit on field reviews to things that involve either a line or possession. Leave everything else to the conference to review and handle on Sunday. It’s dumb for a player’s fate to be decided in 60 seconds in the middle of a game.

I would love to see how many careers it’s actually ended. Especially how long it’s been legal. Offensive players want every single advantage possible.

Stats from last year.

NFL executive Jeff Miller said the hip-drop tackle was used 230 times last season and resulted in 15 players missing time with injuries.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
This tackle needs to go away, but the stupid thing is that we will now be subjected to one more thing that they will stop play for so that we can be subjected to a referee staring at a 6 inch screen. It kills the flow and is terrible TV.

Just limit on field reviews to things that involve either a line or possession. Leave everything else to the conference to review and handle on Sunday. It’s dumb for a player’s fate to be decided in 60 seconds in the middle of a game.
That's where I'm at. I'm not against the idea of the tackle going away, but how it will be implemented and enforced is going to be annoying.

Reactions: hog88

How is an official supposed to determine if a defender intentionally drops his weight or simply trips, loses his footing? Some of the examples posted had to be showed in slow motion to even tell that the defender intended to drop.

How is an official supposed to determine if a defender intentionally drops his weight or simply trips, loses his footing? Some of the examples posted had to be showed in slow motion to even tell that the defender intended to drop.
Exactly… No idea how they officiate the intent. I can already imagine guys getting flagged for doing nothing other than falling on a ball carrier trying to twist out of a tackle. The reviews for this could get dumb.

Exactly… No idea how they officiate the intent. I can already imagine guys getting flagged for doing nothing other than falling on a ball carrier trying to twist out of a tackle. The reviews for this could get dumb.

I'm sure if it comes to college football the SEC officials will be right of top of it...

You mean a wide receiver wants to change the rules of football in existence since the inception of the league in order to make it more difficult for defenses? I’m shocked.
When the rules changed to eliminate “crackback”, Below the waist blocks & blindside blocks, I don’t recall anyone crying & bitching about it.

When the rules changed to eliminate “crackback”, Below the waist blocks & blindside blocks, I don’t recall anyone crying & bitching about it.
Oh . . . there's complaining when one of those peel back blocks happens.

They are following AUS Rugby who already have a rule in place. I assume that includes training for officials and enforcement. People gripe there too, but it doesn’t seem to be called excessively by what I read.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Watson Brown, former NCAA coach, on Basilio today did a great job explaining the hip drop tackle and why it has no place in football. I encourage everyone to listen to Watson on this subject. The major issue to to prevent injuries to the most talented athletes on the field. The NFL has outlawed it in order to protect the QBs, RBs and Wrs, the players people actually pay money to see play. Colleges should do the same.
There shouldn't be rules that favor any position over another. it is giving an unfair competitive advantage to the offense. I don't want to watch football that is two hand touch, most people don't either.

There is a reason the Pro Bowl game has terrible viewership numbers. Its boring just seeing the offense trot up and down the field.

Reactions: vol_in_ga
There shouldn't be rules that favor any position over another. it is giving an unfair competitive advantage to the offense. I don't want to watch football that is two hand touch, most people don't either.

There is a reason the Pro Bowl game has terrible viewership numbers. Its boring just seeing the offense trot up and down the field.
The Pro Bowl has always had the same problem . . . nobody wants to be there.

Reactions: wmcovol
right, because all the concerns about safety make the game boring AF.
It's apples and oranges though. The Pro Bowl doesn't suck because of the rules. It sucks because of a lack of motivation on both the part of the fans and the players. Football just doesn't lend itself very well to an Allstar type game.

Reactions: VAVol85
It's apples and oranges though. The Pro Bowl doesn't suck because of the rules. It sucks because of a lack of motivation on both the part of the fans and the players. Football just doesn't lend itself very well to an Allstar type game.
they are all pretty pointless. who wants to do them? NBA just combined for over 400pts this year. you can't too far away from what makes the games entertaining to their core audience and expect good results. I would imagine its not as fun to play either.

what comes next? There will always be some risk of injury, it can't be taken out of the game. and all you are doing is moving the point of injury around. When they said you can't hit high around the head, injuries moved south. Now that you can't hip drop tackle, whatever that means to the refs, you are just chasing the injuries back up, or even lower.

what happens when offensive players start having more broken arms and ribs from tackles to the chest? or more ankle injuries? What happens when defenders have to hit center mass and use their shoulders, more injuries there. you are just going to keep taking away from the game.

VN Store

Back