Official Major League Soccer/US Men's National Team Thread

RSL made a championship move by picking up Justin Braun from Montreal "for a song".

Dude was struggling up there, but he has 24 goals in 4 years, he's a big body, and has a motor....also he's from Salt Lake. Perfect fit, and now we have a strong 3-man rotation up top. Hopefully this move will get us that coveted Supporters Shield.

Gettin prepped to watch the boys in green and white beat down Victoria Beckham FC tomorrow. Showing up early to get some drinking in, in line. Crowd should be pretty rowdy.

Gettin prepped to watch the boys in green and white beat down Victoria Beckham FC tomorrow. Showing up early to get some drinking in, in line. Crowd should be pretty rowdy.

pmsl43.gif

LA 3- Portland 1

Beckham is making it look easy against the Timbers. 2 goals within 6 minutes, one from 35 yards followed by a brilliant free kick from just outside the penalty area.

I was never a fan of his until recently, you just can't ignore his ability.

Galaxy up 4-1 as I'm typing this. Portland is in shock.

Man... That should have been a 3-3 draw, but both of those beckham goals were world class.

For those who don't know, we had a new coach tonight. He is also the gm, but he has some things to figure out.

Also, ran into one of the better looking gals from my HS days that was rocking nothing but a scarf tied around her chest as a top. That was mighty popular.

RSL goes down a man and gets slaughtered. Beckerman freaked out at a no call, and shoved the ref, earning a straight red. The ref had the call right, from what I could tell.

success_baby-kid.jpg

RSL goes down a man and gets slaughtered. Beckerman freaked out at a no call, and shoved the ref, earning a straight red. The ref had the call right, from what I could tell.
SJ has been a buzzsaw and you lost one of your best players because he was being an idiot. I watched the highlight last night and can't remember if the challenge was overly reckless or not, but I know the SJ player got all ball.

To be perfectly fair, they had one guy, Hernandez I think, that should have also been sent off, but RSL had another guy that should have been sent off as well. I forget who it was, I remember seeing somebody other than Beckerman looking for a fight.

Had a chance to re-watch the game on DVR

- Odd that the new coach/current GM, a former defender for the Timbers, oversees an immediate change from a team that can barely put the ball on target but defend admirably, into a team that can generate three goals against one of the better defenses in the league but looked lost on defense.

- The new 4-2-3-1 works particularly well for Boyd who is as good of a cold-blooded target shooter as anyone in the league and why he's scored more goals than anyone in the history of the Scottish Premier League. He can now stay up top without having to worry about doing much else, and he frankly isn't that good at much else.

- LA was clearly on point, Arena made it a point to make the game in the first half about Donavon, Beckham and Keane vs. Lovel Palmer, David Horst and Steven Smith. That will resemble an episode of Oz every time. For purposes of disclosure, our 2nd best centerback (Brunner) and best defensive midfielder (Chara) were out.

- I've been watching a lot of MLS this season, and I haven't seen a goalkeeper make strides like Troy Perkins has, particularly in the area of distributing. He made a throw to midfield to Darlington Nagbe that resulted in a spectacular run that Josh Saunders was barely able to save.

- Kalif Alhassan showed great progress. He's a 20 year old that has always possessed great footwork, but he was able to show that he can work that in with good passes and earned an assist for his efforts

- We really have a mess at left back. Smith is there because of his ability to pass and generate offense, but the guy is dreadfully slow. Gotta be able to get back and mark before you can worry about getting forward and generate goals.

- Going forward, the schedule IIRC is Dallas, Chivas, Dallas, Chivas, Toronto. If we don't get at least eleven or twelve points out of that stretch, the season is done.

- That said, if things look at least promising we might be able to look forward to a nice hire. Bob Bradley was thrown out there as a sort of pipe dream, but rumors are out there that it may be a real possibility if we can finish the season at least in the running for the playoffs.

Also, glad that one made national TV, in terms of progress for MLS. Couldn't think of a better advertisement for the league.

Portland has really set the standard of what MLS can be from an atmosphere perspective. milo, just curious, but how close is JeldWen to the Rose Garden? i got to go to a .TrailBlazers playoff game years ago. just curious if the stadium is set in that area. my ex wife is from a little town called Carlton over by Beaverton. if not for the Galaxy being in the playoffs last year when i started watching MLS, i would be a Timbers or a DC fan. i loved Portland. i always say Asheville NC, where i live is like a miniature Portland

VN Store

Back