Official Jon Gruden Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Office of the Chancellor | December 2012 | Notes from the Chancellor

Our football program is rewriting its game plan. We’re hiring a new coach, and we intend to compete at the highest level and win championships. We’re also making changes that will help get our athletics program back on track financially.

Athletics is an important part of the collegiate experience and our calling card with the community. Athletic events bring hundreds of thousands of people to our campus each year and connect them in some way to the university.

Competing at the highest level heightens the national profile of our university and translates into an excited fan base, more and better students, and more enthusiastic and engaged alumni.

Athletics is no different from a college, department, or non-academic unit that faces financial difficulties, and we are approaching this problem in a similar manner.
Forgoing Contributions

For the next three years, the money the athletics department has given to the campus—an average of $6 million per year—will be reinvested in the athletics department. Relieving athletics of this commitment will allow the department to add $18 million to its bottom line over three years.

Let me be clear: We are not providing any state or academic funding to athletics; we simply have agreed to forgo the athletics department’s contributions to the campus for the next three fiscal years.

The athletics department will continue to pay debt service on garages.
What This Means to Academics

Most of the funding we’ve received from athletics has provided scholarships and fellowships. We will not reduce our commitment to students and will fund these initiatives from reserves and private gifts.

No currently funded programs will be impacted. However, we may not be able to commit resources to new initiatives.

I can assure you this will not impede progress on our journey to becoming a Top 25 public research university.
Attaining Financial Stability

We are one of only a handful of schools across the country that does not give state dollars to athletics.

A healthy football program pays for most of the other sports programs for our student-athletes and allows for the generous contributions the campus has received over the years.

If we don’t attain financial stability in athletics—and specifically our football program—we could see ourselves using other campus resources for our athletics program.

Overhauling athletics funding means more than improving the game on the field.

Historically, athletics has committed money to the campus at the beginning of each year, without regard to what their finances may look like at the end of the year. We need a more sustainable model where contributions are made after accounting for all expenses and obligations.

Athletics is in a period of transition, but we will help get it where we need it to be. We are committed to winning both on the field and in the classroom.

@BGHTheShow: RT @MattCouchSports: Mike Irwin: "Gundy said Arkansas presentation blew Tennessee's away."

Hart: Coach Gundy, we'll gladly let you coach here for free. We're not sure in what capacity Gruden can use you, but for free...you can work for him.

Long: Coach Gundy, here's a blank check...please save us.

Reactions: 3 people
Any random person can answer Wiki Answers questions. there is even a place to "improve answer". Without documentation for that answer it means nothing. If you Google "Chris Petersen is catholic " you get a lot of positive hits for that too.

I agree. But I've read this many times in many places.

I really couldn't care less. He wouldn't come to UT anyway, nor would I want him here.

My teamate in football called him dumb.... Big mistake

Made him do situps, pushups, and laps until he apolojized in front of the team and other coaches. (The whole time while he called him a big dumb white boy)

He was a lineman and not a smart guy...

Love Poindexter!

He threw me out of a travel team baseball tourney game because he thought I was complaining about him when I took a third strike on a "full-count". The thing is I was mad at myself for taking the pitch.

I was expecting fast ball and pitcher threw my a curve ball and I just sat there and looked at it. Needless to say my dad was pretty ticked since he was the coach and he knew I was not talking to Coach P.

:jpshakehead:

If Strong was an American-made vehicle he would be a:

ford-explorer-background-side.jpg

If Gruden was an American-made vehicle he would be a:

2012_Cadillac_Escalade_1.jpg

i would hope gruden wouldnt be a caddy. im a car salesman, thats the easiest vehicle to get upside down in. buy it at $70,000 and its worth about $15,000 in 3-4 years....... hope that wouldnt be indicative of how gruden would do here....

i would hope gruden wouldnt be a caddy. im a car salesman, thats the easiest vehicle to get upside down in. buy it at $70,000 and its worth about $15,000 in 3-4 years....... hope that wouldnt be indicative of how gruden would do here....

Here comes the giant cars again!

Sh!t!! your right only a day to bad the Mayans predicted Jon Gruden to the vols and not the end of the world!!! It was completley misread I mean who can read something 6,000++ years old. More speculation there than Jon Gruden lol

They predicted him to lead us to greatness!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back