Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

In the market for a Zero Turn Mower. Don’t mind spending some coin on this. My boys are still young so I’ll be doing the cutting for a while.

Recommendations?
I have a commercial scag. Incredibly powerful. The safety switches are made of the most fragile elements known to man. I've put jumpers on all but 2. Service guy told me the mowers ave one dealer service a season. I disabled the safeties after I heard that.

In the market for a Zero Turn Mower. Don’t mind spending some coin on this. My boys are still young so I’ll be doing the cutting for a while.

Recommendations?
If money is not an issue I would go with the turf tiger diesel.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Y’all will not believe this ****.
Well @LouderVol will…

I did an addition where I closed in an outdoor space in some condos downtown. Last coat of polyurethane on floor today actually. We ordered windows months in advance. They kept saying they’ll be here Tuesday. The Monday we started they said “we never actually made the windows”. After the normal “you MFers” back and forth they gave us a better window that we could make work and money back as it wasn’t what we wanted. 6 weeks later, today I get a call from the shipping company that they are delivering my windows. The ones they never made.

So… anyone want to buy 5 bigass picture windows?

The addition tired out aight. IMG_9616.jpeg

Y’all will not believe this ****.
Well @LouderVol will…

I did an addition where I closed in an outdoor space in some condos downtown. Last coat of polyurethane on floor today actually. We ordered windows months in advance. They kept saying they’ll be here Tuesday. The Monday we started they said “we never actually made the windows”. After the normal “you MFers” back and forth they gave us a better window that we could make work and money back as it wasn’t what we wanted. 6 weeks later, today I get a call from the shipping company that they are delivering my windows. The ones they never made.

So… anyone want to buy 5 bigass picture windows?

The addition tired out aight. View attachment 630400
Dimensions of said bigass windows?

Not quite the same CF as Slice, but yesterday my electrician spend an hour and a half waiting for the power company engineer to come to our job. He set this meeting a week ago. All our contacts at power company had their voicemails turned on. He didn't have any work to do so he just sat and waited. Complete waste.

Not quite the same CF as Slice, but yesterday my electrician spend an hour and a half waiting for the power company engineer to come to our job. He set this meeting a week ago. All our contacts at power company had their voicemails turned on. He didn't have any work to do so he just sat and waited. Complete waste.
the utility companies have had the worst regression when it comes to service.

we had one project miss its opening date because the power company wouldn't come out and flip a switch on. everything was up and running, installed, inspected and approved. But they wouldn't send anyone out for a minute of work that would have taken the project off the temporary power to the full regular service.

75T 38W
Picture window

Man thats a weird size. Surprised they werent willing to at a minimum let you furr the top and bottom to be able to use normal 6'0 windows? I am sure that extra 3inches of glass was worth all the trouble and time of having to special order those versus driving across town at worst to pick up stock sized windows lmao

Man thats a weird size. Surprised they werent willing to at a minimum let you furr the top and bottom to be able to use normal 6'0 windows? I am sure that extra 3inches of glass was worth all the trouble and time of having to special order those versus driving across town at worst to pick up stock sized windows lmao
That’s what the plan says.
And we must always follow the plan.
Right @LouderVol

the utility companies have had the worst regression when it comes to service.

we had one project miss its opening date because the power company wouldn't come out and flip a switch on. everything was up and running, installed, inspected and approved. But they wouldn't send anyone out for a minute of work that would have taken the project off the temporary power to the full regular service.

Dont know how bad the power company is where yall live, i never had any trouble with them in Knoxville...but in NC dealing with Duke Power is insane. They have a largely unchecked monopoly, and do whatever they choose...whenever they want. They make no apologies or pretense to give a damn about customers, deadlines, logic, reason, or professionalism. It is truly something to behold. Even the apartment complexes we build are in the $50MM range and each will net Duke hundreds of new paying customers each month indefinitely....and they could not care less about getting the necessary lines run, buried, hooked up, meters set etc. They are a nightmare to deal with.

Dont know how bad the power company is where yall live, i never had any trouble with them in Knoxville...but in NC dealing with Duke Power is insane. They have a largely unchecked monopoly, and do whatever they choose...whenever they want. They make no apologies or pretense to give a damn about customers, deadlines, logic, reason, or professionalism. It is truly something to behold. Even the apartment complexes we build are in the $50MM range and each will net Duke hundreds of new paying customers each month indefinitely....and they could not care less about getting the necessary lines run, buried, hooked up, meters set etc. They are a nightmare to deal with.
one of the best things we are running into is that some cities/providers refuse to work with the design team before we get a permit.

Our engineers will design the systems for X number of transformers of whatever amperage. we get it approved by the city, then taking it to the utility company afterwards, they will just say "nope" here is how we want it. completely change the design, and usually that permit set is the Contract Document with a GC. So we get to be the bad guys and tell them, well here is the permit, but here is your first change order, I hope you didn't go ahead and make your non-refundable order of the very expensive piece of equipment with a lead time longer than the rest of your construction schedule.

That’s what the plan says.
And we must always follow the plan.
Right @LouderVol

You would not believe how terrible the architect is on the complex i am finally finishing up. As an example: they didnt draw any way to get on the roof of these 5 story, 96 unit buildings. At all. No roof access in the drawings period. By the way...ALL the AC units are on the roofs so they dont get stolen. No way to get up there though...from the interior or exterior of the buildings. Of course this GC has had a PM and several Supers allegeďly studying and troubleshooting these drawings for at LEAST a year precon...and nobody noticed that. Nobody. I got handed my set of drawings 3 weeks before we went vertical (which is normal for me) and i brought it to everyones attention when i got in Procore and started reviewing roof truss submittals during framing of the 1st building. Fortunately we wère able to throw away the roof trusses intended for 1 of the stairtowers...frame a flatroof inside it with a standard 4x4ft roof hatch, and they added a metal ships ladder on the top landing to make access to the roof above. Now thats the standard in all 4 buildings.

The only cooĺ thing about this project is that 1 of the buildings has 6 floors. We frame 5 all the time, but i have never framed a 6 floor wood building before. All the floors are 10ft ceilings (116 5/8in studs) so its really tall. Because of the 6th floor, all the exterior walls are 2hr rated though,framing members and sheeting are all FRT. Thats always a pain in the butt. Sometimes we have to use FRT materials because buildings are too close together, or dont have enough road frontage/fire hydrants, but this one is FRT apparently just because it has 6 floors of wood framing. Thats what the architect said anyway, i certainly never attempted to verify that claim. Its my job to build the different UL assemblies as shown in the plans, so thats what we do. The lead architect that designed this project has been removed from it months ago though at the request of the owners and GC. There have been over 300 RFIs so far...and the project is over a year behind schedule. I actually built the 1st two buildings, pulled off the project to go build a 3 story 100 unit retirement home in Columbia SC...then came back to build these last 2 buildings. We are putting the roof on the last building now. I should be out of here in a few weeks and hopefully can go take my 2023 vacation.

VN Store

Back