Official 2014 Attrition/Transfer Thread

I still remember RL saying cut the damn finger off so he could get back in a NFL game.

Some people are tougher than others.

A lot of *****es in today's society.

ronnie lott is the exception, not the rule. I like the old school reference though!

there was an al bundy reference earlier in the thread too!!

Is Scott really mad about doing a normal football hitting drill? Hard to beleive since he plays football.

Is the circle of life drill really that normal?

Normal for me. We called it Hell's circle in high school. One person in the middle doing fast feet, coach would call out a jersey number and whoever had that number charged. Hopefully you got spun around in time to see who was coming and get set to take a hit...or if you were quick enough, offer your own punishment.

I bet Hurd absolutely loves this drill.

Reactions: 1 person
Two pages already and no news/updates. What have I started?

1. Henderson has NCAA issues with his ACT. Jones acknowledged today that he has some things he's working through and we're not completely sure what his status will be going forward, despite a thread in here staring he won't be on next year's roster.

2. Jones also acknowledged that there are a couple of players who are "trying to decide what they want to do with their future" during today's presser. Said he would support whatever decisions they made, but only wants players who "want to be here" and a part of the program. Those 2 players are widely believed to be Hendrix and Scott.

3. Finally, it appears thst Malone is a bit miffed after a difficult adjustment to his freshman year....but is very unlikely to leave the program. Interesting thst Jones made a impromptu positive comment or 2 about Malone toward the beginning of the presser today.

That's all I've gleaned today from a few different sources.

Reactions: 6 people
Normal for me. We called it Hell's circle in high school. One person in the middle doing fast feet, coach would call out a jersey number and whoever had that number charged. Hopefully you got spun around in time to see who was coming and get set to take a hit...or if you were quick enough, offer your own punishment.

I'm pretty sure its different these days. We did what you just described when I was young, but called it "bull in the ring". I'm pretty sure its been outlawed in little league and probably high school these days.

I believe the Vol version is putting 2 guys in the middle of a circle and letting them go at it. They did it at the spring game earlier this year.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1BDSI9o4N4[/youtube]

Last edited:
Again, you're just taking what I said and just putting your opinion in. Look at the evolution of football, In the early days, players played with broken legs. Players would lose significant amount of blood during the game. Now a days, a player is like "damn I got turf toe" I'm out 4 weeks.

And the players weren't 6'6", 300 pounds with a 4.4 40 in the 1960s either.

Reactions: 2 people
Not sure about the answer for the scholarship question, but let me say this. A broken hand is sometimes a freak accident and there is no reason to put the blame on the coaches. These other guys just sound like their hearts aren't in it anymore, and well quite frankly, if your heart isn't in it, pack your **** and get the **** out!!! This team doesn't need that sissy ass bs, they need warriors that will leave it out on the field every game.

Unless you have played football at a high level, such as division 1, I just want to say that you might want to get all the facts before you start talking about kids like that. It's easy to call someone a sissy when all you do is watch the game from the comfort of your couch and exercise your pop top finger.

Reactions: 2 people
....and turf toe can be a really serious problem. Connective tissue between foot and toe damage. Especially since you push off with the toes to run. Kinda important in football.

I didn't play HSFB that long ago. We had what was considered a "big" OL averaging maybe 210 lbs or so. Same school now averages closer to 250 and are just as athletic.

In the 80's, Nebraska was known for its size. The biggest OL on their roster in 1984 was 290 lbs. Most of their OL's were in the 250-270 range. Their biggest DL weight 260 lbs.

The game has changed. The size, strength, and athleticism dictates that you are more careful with injuries. An injury that you could have played through 30 years ago could now make a player vulnerable to a lifechanging injury if he tried to play through.

Have to agree with this, my son is a 10th grader and is 6'3 and 290 he got a high ankle sprain and he tried to go 2 days after the injury in the game but he just couldn't push off with the ankle effectively; so coach / trainer sat him down for that game. That is a lot of weight to be able to move around and if you are not a 100% you are not effective especially in run blocking.

Bull in the Ring!!!:loco:

Reactions: 4 people
To your point... the game has changed. It has definitely changed for the better overall. I remember playing in high school in Virginia and our coach would load us up with salt tablets for 2 a days and then restrict water breaks because in his mind "it makes you soft!" When I moved to NC for my final 2 years we had a much more progressive coaching staff that employed more modern training and precautionary efforts that actually included water breaks LOL. Surprisingly it didn't make me soft, it allowed me to perform at a higher level and recover faster. Now.... When I played in college, which methods do you suppose where employed? That's right! it was the more proactive approach that led to faster recovery rates and allowed us to become the maximum athlete that we could become. BTW, I never was a great college player. That was my ceiling but my training partner had a ten year pro career as running back with the Atlanta Falcons and the linebacker I backed up had a 7 year pro career with the KC Chiefs. I say these things to point out the fact that the "rub some dirt on it" schtick is about 25+ years played out by now. The game is different, the players are different, and they would steamroll, run over and run around any of us older guys. I can't even imagine the speed and impact that today's players have to deal with. And not to knock your your HS career as a player, the speed of the college game is beyond your comprehension if you haven't been on the field playing at that pace. That's not even meant to be a sleight, just a statement of reality. It is also the reason why freshman go through these difficult times because it is a HUGE adjustment. Not to mention the adjustment to college and the extreme microscope that they all live under. I would encourage all of you to cut these kids some slack because unless you have been through it, you don't understand it.

I don't post often, but felt that I should respond to this.

It is so much faster! My first college game, I gave up on trying to find the linebacker I had identified before the play as the one I was supposed to block and just hit the first thing in a different jersey that was moving slow enough for me to touch. Things are happening so much faster than your mind can process if you've never played college. It's easy to imagine someone getting clobbered, and having no idea what happened. I only played div II fullback. I can't even imagine the SEC!

I did play in college and know for a fact that kids transferring happens for various reasons, but those that transfer out after their first semester usually end up regretting that decision. In Scott's case, and this is only speculation, but being constantly injured during your first season of college football can be very depressing. I'm sure he came here expecting significant playing time his first year and things never went in his favor. If indeed he did get healthy and break his hand in the circle of life drill then that is something that had to be extremely frustrating. Add that frustration to depression and the mental state of an 18 yr old kid away from home for the first time can become messed up. Also guys with his level of talent want to know that they have the chance to be the featured back early in their careers. Anyone that has had the chance to see Jalen Hurd at practices daily (in high school or college) knows that he is a freak of nature. When you see someone at your position that is physically superior to you in every way (bigger, faster, quicker, stronger) you start to realize that as long as he is healthy you will never be the featured back until he is gone. I think all these things have played a factor. With Hendrix, who knows? Maybe he feels like he could have been just as dominant as Barnett this year and wasn't given the same opportunity. What we all have to remember is these are 18 yr old kids. Their way of thinking and rationale is very different than that of someone who is just 2 or 3 years older. I wish any of these kids the best of luck if they choose to leave the program, but as I stated before, most end up regretting that decision.

Reactions: 3 people
Riyhad, Peterman, Scott, Hendrix, Henderson and more I'm sure

Last edited:
I did play in college and know for a fact that kids transferring happens for various reasons, but those that transfer out after their first semester usually end up regretting that decision. In Scott's case, and this is only speculation, but being constantly injured during your first season of college football can be very depressing. I'm sure he came here expecting significant playing time his first year and things never went in his favor. If indeed he did get healthy and break his hand in the circle of life drill then that is something that had to be extremely frustrating. Add that frustration to depression and the mental state of an 18 yr old kid away from home for the first time can become messed up. Also guys with his level of talent want to know that they have the chance to be the featured back early in their careers. Anyone that has had the chance to see Jalen Hurd at practices daily (in high school or college) knows that he is a freak of nature. When you see someone at your position that is physically superior to you in every way (bigger, faster, quicker, stronger) you start to realize that as long as he is healthy you will never be the featured back until he is gone. I think all these things have played a factor. With Hendrix, who knows? Maybe he feels like he could have been just as dominant as Barnett this year and wasn't given the same opportunity. What we all have to remember is these are 18 yr old kids. Their way of thinking and rationale is very different than that of someone who is just 2 or 3 years older. I wish any of these kids the best of luck if they choose to leave the program, but as I stated before, most end up regretting that decision.

I agree. It's completely reasonable for Scott to want to go elsewhere. As long as Hurd is there, he won't get much of an opportunity. Look what Jalen did to Marlin Lane's playing time this year, and that guy is a senior! Scott deserves to go where he has a chance to play and get a quality education. Some people act like these kids are under contract. These schools can drop these kids from their schollies at the end of the season simply because someone better signed a LOI. The kids deserve the right to leave and do what is best for them as well.

Reactions: 4 people
To your point... the game has changed. It has definitely changed for the better overall. I remember playing in high school in Virginia and our coach would load us up with salt tablets for 2 a days and then restrict water breaks because in his mind "it makes you soft!" When I moved to NC for my final 2 years we had a much more progressive coaching staff that employed more modern training and precautionary efforts that actually included water breaks LOL. Surprisingly it didn't make me soft, it allowed me to perform at a higher level and recover faster. Now.... When I played in college, which methods do you suppose where employed? That's right! it was the more proactive approach that led to faster recovery rates and allowed us to become the maximum athlete that we could become. BTW, I never was a great college player. That was my ceiling but my training partner had a ten year pro career as running back with the Atlanta Falcons and the linebacker I backed up had a 7 year pro career with the KC Chiefs. I say these things to point out the fact that the "rub some dirt on it" schtick is about 25+ years played out by now. The game is different, the players are different, and they would steamroll, run over and run around any of us older guys. I can't even imagine the speed and impact that today's players have to deal with. And not to knock your your HS career as a player, the speed of the college game is beyond your comprehension if you haven't been on the field playing at that pace. That's not even meant to be a sleight, just a statement of reality. It is also the reason why freshman go through these difficult times because it is a HUGE adjustment. Not to mention the adjustment to college and the extreme microscope that they all live under. I would encourage all of you to cut these kids some slack because unless you have been through it, you don't understand it.

I don't post often, but felt that I should respond to this.

from the likes this seems like a good post, unfortunately it was TLDR for my ADHD :)

VN Store

Back