Number 4 QB

And neither did Dobbs before he was put into the Alabama game - your point??

Look at the freshman's that started for teams last year. Some of them played in a high profile against a good team the very first game.

Peterman wasn't ready and lost his job to Dobbs. End of story.

You are simply wrong. Dobbs had significant playing time in his freshman year, before coming in against Bama. Peterman had less than a game under his belt - including two quarters against FLA playing the second quarter with a broken thumb. Peterman was far more accurate than Dobbs, thus winning the backup position.
Dobbs replaced Peterman because our O Line was being slaughtered every play, so we needed a pure running QB

Reactions: 1 person
Nathan Peterman is #4 on Mel Kiper's board. Is this definite proof that our coaching staff absolutely needed a QB coach? Has this been our hold up?

And Dobbs beats out Peterman yet again.

And OP's attempt to fan the anti Butch flames goes down spectacularly in flames. When I read posts like these, I can't help but picture Chicken Little flailing around screeching "sky is falling, sky is falling."

Reactions: 5 people
Everyone that tried to take shots at CBJ for keeping Dobbs over Peterman in this or other threads now doesn't have ground to stand on.

Reactions: 3 people
Everyone that tried to take shots at CBJ for keeping Dobbs over Peterman in this or other threads now doesn't have ground to stand on.
I'm not on the FF much, and even though I have taken up for Peterman on more than one occasion, I have never taken a shot at Butch, period. He is the coach, not me. He knows a lot more about football than I do, and sees every practice. I don't question who starts, but there are times when the qb is having a bad day, that I think it's time for a change.

Dobbs was the right move at the time, because we couldn't protect a pocket passer. I just hated to see Peterman trashed. I hate to see any player trashed.

And Dobbs beats out Peterman yet again.

And OP's attempt to fan the anti Butch flames goes down spectacularly in flames. When I read posts like these, I can't help but picture Chicken Little flailing around screeching "sky is falling, sky is falling."

I didn't make an attempt to do anything to Butch! Maybe all you popping off should read the entire thread and understand. Once again for the 4th time. This thread was for nothing but a discussion. Not beating on anyone or saying Mel Kiper is anyone special. I don't care for him, but that's who ESPN uses. Now find a way to anti that!

Against Alabama, Peterman was in for 2 series, 9 plays, gained 30 yards, and had 2 first downs. Then, he was pulled. He never had a chance to get his feet wet against lesser competition first, in order to get his confidence up.

Neither did Dobbs? He was thrown into the Alabama game both his Freshman and Sophomore seasons!!!

Think about the QBs we had on campus at one time: Peterman, Worley, Dobbs and Riley Ferguson. Someone's done a good job of evaluation/recruiting.

Evaluating and recruiting, absolutely. Developing on the other hand?.....not so much.

Dobbs could take off and run for his life. That's the difference. They have a different skill set.

Oversimplification. Peterman, for whatever reason, simply didn't have the poise to play here. Perhaps he just wasn't emotionally mature enough yet, perhaps he didn't take to the coaching or offense....whatever it was, he appeared in 9 different at Tennessee and at no point looked the part. When he got starts vs Florida and Alabama as a freshman and then a sophomore, he showed he just couldn't be effective here.

Great on him for moving on to Pitt, salvaging his career, playing some really good football and getting himself drafted. He's to be commended for doing so, it couldn't have been easy for him and I hope he sees success in the NFL.

But let's not go back and attempt revisionist history and absolve him of his part his failures at Tennessee....he was historically bad here. Just is what it is.

Reactions: 2 people
Oversimplification. Peterman, for whatever reason, simply didn't have the poise to play here. Perhaps he just wasn't emotionally mature enough yet, perhaps he didn't take to the coaching or offense....whatever it was, he appeared in 9 different at Tennessee and at no point looked the part. When he got starts vs Florida and Alabama as a freshman and then a sophomore, he showed he just couldn't be effective here.

Great on him for moving on to Pitt, salvaging his career, playing some really good football and getting himself drafted. He's to be commended for doing so, it couldn't have been easy for him and I hope he sees success in the NFL.

But let's not go back and attempt revisionist history and absolve him of his part his failures at Tennessee....he was historically bad here. Just is what it is.

KBVol. You were proven dead wrong on Peterman. Peterman proved he had the poise, but was never given a serious chance to develop. Ironically, Peterman is now praised for his poise, intelligence and composure in the pocket. You did in fact rip Peterman personally as mentally incompetent while proclaiming Peterman must never see the field again.

Peterman demonstrated a very high level of mental competence against high level competition once given the chance at Pitt. He also graduated UT in only three years and scored high on his wonderlic. You were dead wrong to excoriate and demean Peterman based upon intelligence and composure.

Reactions: 2 people
KB should drop the Vol from his username because he has demeaned Peterman for years. Which qb was it that threw 5 TD passes against Clemson this year, when only one other qb threw more than one, which was 2?

KB should drop the Vol from his username because he has demeaned Peterman for years. Which qb was it that threw 5 TD passes against Clemson this year, when only one other qb threw more than one, which was 2?

Yep, I found KBVol's harsh, venomous and personally demeaning attitude towards Peterman disgraceful. Now that we find out he was dead wrong, he want's to pretend it never happened, as he offers platitudes of well wishes towards a kid he excoriated mercilessly as a young Vol.
He want's us to believe he was right and justified insulting Peterman's intelligence, talent and judgement playing minimal time under the worst possible conditions, including a broken thumb on his throwing hand.
He want's us to believe Peterman was actually terrible, but suddenly developed intelligence, talent and competence in the days after he left UT ...after graduating in only three years.

Of course, KB wasn't the only offender around here. Some people simply will not be accountable.

Yep, I found KBVol's harsh, venomous and personally demeaning attitude towards Peterman disgraceful. Now that we find out he was dead wrong, he want's to pretend it never happened, as he offers platitudes of well wishes towards a kid he excoriated mercilessly as a young Vol.
He want's us to believe he was right and justified insulting Peterman's intelligence, talent and judgement playing minimal time under the worst possible conditions, including a broken thumb on his throwing hand.
He want's us to believe Peterman was actually terrible, but suddenly developed intelligence, talent and competence in the days after he left UT ...after graduating in only three years.

Of course, KB wasn't the only offender around here. Some people simply will not be accountable.
I know. I took up for Peterman and argued with them years ago. I was accused of being his relative then.

For me it is those that want to argue the facts. And the fact is that Dobbs was the better QB for Tennessee and when given the opportunity won the job and never looked back.

Some would like to make Peterman's failure a coaches failure - but the truth is Peterman's lack of ability to take advantage of the chances he was given is what doomed him at Tennessee.

Reactions: 4 people
The truth is Pitt is known for always having a pretty good offensive line most years and that is the type of place Peterman needed to have success. However, in my opinion he does not have the arm strength, nor quickness in his feet or read progressions, to succcedd in the NFL.

He is smart and a hard worker but doesn't have even close to the potential as some, even Dobbs. He reminds me of a poor mans Kellen Moore from Boise a few years back, just a little bigger. Given time, he can be extremely accurate, but as we see in the NFl time is not exactly ample.

For me it is those that want to argue the facts. And the fact is that Dobbs was the better QB for Tennessee and when given the opportunity won the job and never looked back.

Some would like to make Peterman's failure a coaches failure - but the truth is Peterman's lack of ability to take advantage of the chances he was given is what doomed him at Tennessee.
I have already said on here that Dobbs turned out to be a better choice for us at the time. I also said that we did not have the o-line to protect a pocket passer. I have always thought that Peterman would have done well at a place like Alabama at the time he was here. He needed good players around him to succeed. Dobbs could make plays with his feet.

Dobbs could take off and run for his life. That's the difference. They have a different skill set.

Yes Dobbs was better, that is correct! Not sure what you are arguing? Dobbs was still thrown to the wolves at the Alabama game 2 years in a row.

What has Peterman done that makes him so successful? He won 1 big game in his entire career! Never won his division, conference? He proved to be a good QB at Pitt but that doesn't make him a good QB in the grand scheme of football!!! He would have never shined under the lights at Alabama, that is ridiculous!!! He is what he is, a game manager for a weak program. Time will tell if that game translates to the NFL but i believe that it won't JMHO!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back