Not Impressed - Florida

Couldn't agree more.

This is going to be a battle for who gets bragging rights of NOT being the worst in the SEC East. I'm thinking/hoping Tennessee is the team that is better this year.

Could be. You can finish 3/4 in the East. Us 4/5.

UGA, S Car, and Ky probably 1-3.

They still have the Poulan Weedeater Bowl? Might be what's on the line come 9/22.

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
Agree. I think CJP should get all the time he needs, within the outer bounds of reason. Like, maybe 7 years? When Majors was hired by TN from Pitt he was the local hero and got a lot of time to turn the Vols around. It took him a good bit longer than anticipated, but he got the program there. This instant gratification mentality has to stop, or the program is never going to be anything but mediocre. And, why fire the coach you have unless you have a "can't miss" replacement already in tow? Makes no sense to me to set some artificial deadline on expectations and pull the plug on your coach, only to enter a process where you have no guarantee you will hire someone better. Just my two cents.

And look at recent "can't misses" in Harbough, Herman, and Chip Kelly. They may all find success but are shining examples of how it's not easy and rarely quick

Reactions: MAUSERWERKE
Can't believe some think Florida is much better than us. Our recruiting rankings the last 4 years are actually a bit better than theirs. They were also 4-8 last year, just like us. Finally, and most important, they were very fortunate that Butch choked away the wins in 2015 and 2017. We should be on a 3-game, if not 4-game winning streak (IMO 2014 was a toss up, but Vols coulda shoulda won that also).

Important point...if we have a lead late like in 2015 and 2017, CJP will NOT choke it away like Butch. And I can see us leading in the 4th quarter. I think we might even be favored.

Florida might even lose to CSU. For real.

Can't believe some think Florida is much better than us. Our recruiting rankings the last 4 years are actually a bit better than theirs. They were also 4-8 last year, just like us. Finally, and most important, they were very fortunate that Butch choked away the wins in 2015 and 2017. We should be on a 3-game, if not 4-game winning streak (IMO 2014 was a toss up, but Vols coulda shoulda won that also).

Important point...if we have a lead late like in 2015 and 2017, CJP will NOT choke it away like Butch. And I can see us leading in the 4th quarter. I think we might even be favored.

Recruiting rankings don't mean ****.

Reactions: FBtime
Florida is a mediocre football team. Same with UT. No one that starts for either team's offensive or defensive lines would start at Alabama. Or Clemson. Maybe one or two at UGA, at best.

Both programs are light years away from being competitive at the level we hope for.
I do think Trey Smith would start for Alabama. Guy is an All American

CSU? Unlikely. But could be more competitive than it ought to be.

The consensus on Swampgas and in Florida papers is that UF is not physical, soft. I think that is spot on.

As for the rest of your commentary about comparing talent, I tend to agree but I'm not sure it matters. Whether we have an underperforming 3 star or you have an overachieving 2 star really doesn't matter much. Both are average players.

Agree that the difference in recruiting is minor and doesn't really matter. My post was to refute a few that somehow think Florida is currently much better than Tennessee. Recruiting is only part of it, and maybe the least important part. More important..identical records last year, early season losses, and the fact that Tennessee "coulda shoulda" been on a 3-game win streak anyway.

Basically all the evidence says it's pretty even, and with the game at Neyland I give the nod to the Vols. The biggest unknown is Pruitt vs. Mullen, but already both have had embarrassing losses, so we can rule out a miracle first season recovery for either team. Back to even.

Tennessee is in the same position as KY is in. They have outplayed Florida for the last few years but the Gators have somehow won.

Florida may not be a good team, but they will look like World beaters against the hapless Vols and remind everyone that UT is the bottom feeder of the SEC, unfortunately.

Florida may not be a good team, but they will look like World beaters against the hapless Vols and remind everyone that UT is the bottom feeder of the SEC, unfortunately.
Tn can’t get Fla out of their heads. That has to change.

I really, really hope you have to eat each and every one of these words. :)

I know the end of this season is a long way off but just wait and compare our team to our team right now. In my opinion it will be absolutely awesome because we will be knocking heads, moving the ball well, and finishing up a good season. Give these guys time to jell and come together as a team. Right now we have Butch's team and a lot of young high school age kids. I think they will play like men before too long. Hang in there and quit wanting the pot of gold before it is time for that. GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VN Store

Back