Northwestern and what they are saying about the Vols

I can't wait to see how this game plays out in the trenches. Hopefully we can give them a steady dose of Hurd & Kamara.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'm watching their game against Wisconsin. There was a hit where the NW defender had a clear targeting hit on a Wiscy receiver. The defender launched into the defenseless receiver. Luckily the hit itself wasn't as bad as it could've been, but here come the dumbass of the sports announcers Matt Millen. He said it was a perfectly legal hit with no intent for hat-on-hat. I remember the 2013 game against Candy where there was a clear vicious late hit on Astro. What did Dumbass say? Perfectly legal hit and good on the defender. No wonder why he's announcing for the Big Ten Network.

Just watched their game against Michigan, and they looked like hot garbage. Watching their game against Stanford and Stanford looked like hot garbage. I'm yet to see anything from NU that makes me scared. UT can definitely lose this game, just as Stanford lost to them. But it would be the same way Stanford lost to them--by playing flat, uninspired football that creates adversity for the good guys and needless opportunities for the bad.

Ruh-roh

How many VN posters are over there giving them crap?

1) you don't know
2) your self-righteous BS is falling on deaf ears.

If they had any balls, they would come to my house and talk about my mama's cooking to her face instead of hiding at their house and talking shiite about something they actually know very little about. You guys are wimps.

Talking trash on a message board is the true test of wimpiness.

No, it is me. I refuse to be negative vs. a scrub team like NW. I hope Tennessee beats them by as much as humanly possible. I want people to remember the day that Tennessee embarrassed the S10W...

I agree, but I don't see Butch running up the score. He seems to shut it down way to early like the Iowa game last year.

The Stanford and Michigan games are irrelevant. Just as our games against UF and OU are. No previous game can be used to predict what can or will happen in our game.

I don't understand why people think so negatively about fans never attending the college they're fans of. It's a childish jest that takes no consideration of real life events such as said college not having the major or just being too expensive. It irks me when people use it.

This. I grew up watching Tennessee football and for most of my childhood there was no professional football team here so I never really got into the NFL. I couldn't attend UT because it was too far from home to have to travel back to Nashville every 7 weeks plus other appointments (for medical reasons) and it was about twice as expensive as TN Tech. Buuuuut I guess since I didn't attend the university I always wanted to attend, I'm not a true fan - even though I've supported the football team for over 20 years and spent thousands on football tickets over the years.

Reactions: 6 people
They were dead. Butch just refused to kick the corpse for 15 minutes.

Yup. Anybody with half a brain knows those last couple of Iowa td's were garbage td's against our backups. It makes sense to give some other guys some playing time. ...even if we get scored on. They deserve it.

This. I grew up watching Tennessee football and for most of my childhood there was no professional football team here so I never really got into the NFL. I couldn't attend UT because it was too far from home to have to travel back to Nashville every 7 weeks plus other appointments (for medical reasons) and it was about twice as expensive as TN Tech. Buuuuut I guess since I didn't attend the university I always wanted to attend, I'm not a true fan - even though I've supported the football team for over 20 years and spent thousands on football tickets over the years.

Yeah, don't let that bother you one bit, man, you or Paper_Towel either one.

Private schools and their fans/graduates simply can't understand the totally different dynamic of a major state university like Tennessee.

NU fans didn't grow up cheering for NU, they probably didn't even know it existed (unless their mom or dad went there before them). That's completely different from growing up in the great state of Tennessee and knowing all about the Vols before we even learned the alphabet.

Michigan fans understand. Texas fans, too. And Georgia fans, North Carolina fans, Nebraska fans, heck even Montana fans get it.

Don't let it bother you that NU fans don't. Not one iota.

Reactions: 6 people
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been trying to find Northwestern message boards but it looks like they aren't into it like we are. But here's what I found. Northwestern really wanted to play Florida. They saw them as much better match up because of Florida's lack of QB play.

Does anyone else find it strange that Northwestern would rather play a team that has beaten UT every year for an entire decade rather than playing the Vols?

Originally Posted by Paper_Towel View Post
I don't understand why people think so negatively about fans never attending the college they're fans of. It's a childish jest that takes no consideration of real life events such as said college not having the major or just being too expensive. It irks me when people use it.

In my opinion, simply going to a college shouldn't necessarily have much impact on whether one is a fan of that school or not. If you went there, it merely makes that school your alma mater. If any particular school has to depend solely on it's alumni to be fans, then it really doesn't have much of a fan base. Sad actually.

Going on their messageboard (lurking) is an odd experience. They don't seem to adept at trash talking. When they do, they get really defensive when an opposing fanbase dishes it back. The most surreal thing for me was when a NU fan started a thread trash-talking UT by bringing up Manning's lack of a Heisman, losing out to CW 20 years ago. They used a rival team's player from 20 years ago to try to trash talk UT.

UT folks were just kind of like... Well, OK? OP just kept swinging the foam hammer like it was Thor's.

Strange.

Reactions: 3 people
Going on their messageboard (lurking) is an odd experience. They don't seem to adept at trash talking. When they do, they get really defensive when an opposing fanbase dishes it back. The most surreal thing for me was when a NU fan started a thread trash-talking UT by bringing up Manning's lack of a Heisman, losing out to CW 20 years ago. They used a rival team's player from 20 years ago to try to trash talk UT.

UT folks were just kind of like... Well, OK? OP just kept swinging the foam hammer like it was Thor's.

Strange.

It's very Vandy-esque, the posting that is.

. . .Does anyone else find it strange that Northwestern would rather play a team that has beaten UT every year for an entire decade rather than playing the Vols?

They wouldn't have to play all ten of those Florida teams, just this year's. And, I can certainly see why they felt they would have a better chance of beating Florida. Florida, while very good defensively, can't score. Northwestern is sort of in the same boat.

They don't have the offense to overcome when they are trailing by a 2-3 possession difference, and Tennessee is more likely to hang that on them than is Florida.

The reason NU doesn't understand other than grads being fans is they've never seen it happen before.

A true fan is someone that sticks with the team no matter the outcome. They also get highly pissed off watching games because they love winning and they hate other conference teams.

I like Oklahoma. I never had any connection with them. I just remember when I was a kid, I saw Adrian Peterson's first touchdown run and I was like, I like that team. Followed them since. I know that's considered bandwagoning but I don't care. But I was a kid, and I was infatuated. I pull for them against all except Tennessee.

The reason NU doesn't understand other than grads being fans is they've never seen it happen before.

There are very few college programs that can garner a significant fan base outside their alumni.

In the south east, it was easier in the past, I believe, because professional football did not have a significant presence there for quite a while. Atlanta and Miami started in the 60s. Tampa came in the 70s, then the Titans in the 90s. Growing up in Tennessee in the 1970s, college football was the biggest stage around. It's popularity far exceeded professional football. The same is true for some areas of the Midwest. But in most every case, it is the big state school that wins the day.

A few other schools have a particular appeal that draws fans for one reason or another. For example, Notre Dame was long the official school of every blue collar Irish Catholic in the United States. But, schools like Northwestern in a large city with an NFL franchise don't stand much of a chance to draw a whole lot of love.

These days with dozens of CFB games being televised regionally and nationally, it's easier to happen. Fans can consume a football program with little or no exposure to the other aspects of the university. Obviously, the more popular the program and the greater exposure it gets, the more likely it is to draw these kinds of fans. This is likely why you see the dominance of "Roll Tide" nationwide. For the longest, it seemed like it was Florida State that was the trendy school.

I don't necessarily agree with NU's stance, but I do understand where they are coming from.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back