Non-Lady Vol Game discussion

Why would a top player who can shoot want to just pound the ball in low?

I visited the SC forum *cockytalk" after the USC/UConn game. Lots of folks over there also questioning the "pound the ball into the post" offense - and they had the best post player in the country. Wilson got her points, but that's all the team had to offer.

Reactions: 2 people
I visited the SC forum *cockytalk" after the USC/UConn game. Lots of folks over there also questioning the "pound the ball into the post" offense - and they had the best post player in the country. Wilson got her points, but that's all the team had to offer.

If Wilson/Jennings aren't scoring, you think the SC guards are gonna score? Better to go 1-on-4 in the post than expect their teammates to make layups or God forbid a jumpshot. The difference between SC and Tennessee is that the LVs actually have offensive threats outside of their post players. SC has no choice but to dump it to A'ja or Alexis on every possession.

Reactions: 1 person
If Wilson/Jennings aren't scoring, you think the SC guards are gonna score? Better to go 1-on-4 in the post than expect their teammates to make layups or God forbid a jumpshot. The difference between SC and Tennessee is that the LVs actually have offensive threats outside of their post players. SC has no choice but to dump it to A'ja or Alexis on every possession.

I think it was Lawson that commented during the game that on defense all 5 UConn players had at least one foot in the paint. That just shows how good Wilson is and how bad the SC guard play is.

What UT doesn't have is players that can, or players that are allowed, to shoot from outside. I don't know if it's just not part of the UT offensive plan or if the shooters are that bad.UT NCAA 3 pt fg made ranking is 235th. They are only taking less than 5 threes per game. IMO you can't make them if you don't shoot them.

I think it was Lawson that commented during the game that on defense all 5 UConn players had at least one foot in the paint. That just shows how good Wilson is and how bad the SC guard play is.

What UT doesn't have is players that can, or players that are allowed, to shoot from outside. I don't know if it's just not part of the UT offensive plan or if the shooters are that bad.UT NCAA 3 pt fg made ranking is 235th. They are only taking less than 5 threes per game. IMO you can't make them if you don't shoot them.

Harris in particular was inexcusably bad in this game. She contributed nothing on offense or defense. She's a better player than she showed, but my God I think she turned in the worst performance I've ever seen from a starter on a top 10 team.

Tennessee has players with mid-range or perimeter jumpshot, but they are secondary to post touches. Holly doesn't screech "INSIDE OUT!!!!!" a million times for nothing...

Harris in particular was inexcusably bad in this game. She contributed nothing on offense or defense. She's a better player than she showed, but my God I think she turned in the worst performance I've ever seen from a starter on a top 10 team.

Tennessee has players with mid-range or perimeter jumpshot, but they are secondary to post touches. Holly doesn't screech "INSIDE OUT!!!!!" a million times for nothing...

Gotta agree on this. Was surprised Harris was a non-factor. She had huge games when A'ja was out. She's pretty good from 3pt.

Thats your opinion. Of course we lose our best player but winning is about TEAM. There will be no superstar next year so ball movement and chemistry should be better. Good guards and good forwards so I expect us to be good.

The TEAM was crap aside from Wilson. One only needs to look at their three games against Tennessee to see that. I don't care how many amazing players you think are coming in, none of them will elevate the team the way a generational talent like Wilson did.

Yes USC might still be decent, but their days as a legitimate Final Four threat are over....

Reactions: 3 people
The TEAM was crap aside from Wilson. One only needs to look at their three games against Tennessee to see that. I don't care how many amazing players you think are coming in, none of them will elevate the team the way a generational talent like Wilson did.

Yes USC might still be decent, but their days as a legitimate Final Four threat are over....

I generally Disagree with you, but I agree with you on this one.

Maybe Dawn Staley and Tea Cooper can lead Usc-JR to the promised land next season.

Dawn should leave while her rep is still good and run back to UVA.

Would Virginia even come close to matching her current salary.

Speaking of coaching change possibilities, how long do you see Gary Blair coaching? Will Vic S. Take his place?

Would Virginia even come close to matching her current salary.

Speaking of coaching change possibilities, how long do you see Gary Blair coaching? Will Vic S. Take his place?[/QUOTE

UVA is loaded. They can outbid S.C.—if they want to

More bad news for UConn, Azura Stevens has announced she will skip her final year of eligibility and enter the WNBA draft...

Reactions: 5 people
More bad news for UConn, Azura Stevens has announced she will skip her final year of eligibility and enter the WNBA draft...

I would have thought Stevens would have played the final year to maybe get that ring.

There was rumor of the Australian post going to UCONN or the West Coast. Any word on that?

That means he'll have to play the freshman a lot or play somewhat game of small ball. He has plenty of fire power on the perimeter next season. If Baylor and Texas had anyone coaching both should beat UConn next season.

Reactions: 1 person
If ND can win a NC with a 6 person rotation ... Geno isn't worried. In fact, like ND, their offense looks much better when they don't clog up the paint.

That means he'll have to play the freshman a lot or play somewhat game of small ball. He has plenty of fire power on the perimeter next season. If Baylor and Texas had anyone coaching both should beat UConn next season.

There is zero chance that his two freshmen will be able to replace Williams, Nurse and Stevens. ZERO! And no Gabby Williams to impersonate a 6'5 center. Napheesa is good, but she's a sitting duck against a player like Brown or McCowan. And she cannot afford to get in foul trouble.

Even if UConn recruits well in 2019, they are losing two first team AAs. The curse may have been broken, finally! Thank you, Morgan...thank you, Arike. Good times indeed, even if Tennessee will still svck.

VN Store

Back