Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

After watching that game I felt like we were poorly coached. Oregon State doesn't look to have that much talent. A big that does have good hands and can catch a pass. 26 turnovers to 4 for Notre Dame and yet they win. They did pound Notre Dame on the boards and their defense is either good or Notre Dame had one of their poorest shooting games of the season. I thought just by watching alone we had more talent that either one of those teams. I did notice neither one subs that much. They play five and throw another player out there for a three minutes or so. SC should win by 25 just from what I saw.

Reactions: JustaChicken
After watching that game I felt like we were poorly coached. Oregon State doesn't look to have that much talent. A big that does have good hands and can catch a pass. 26 turnovers to 4 for Notre Dame and yet they win. They did pound Notre Dame on the boards and their defense is either good or Notre Dame had one of their poorest shooting games of the season. I thought just by watching alone we had more talent that either one of those teams. I did notice neither one subs that much. They play five and throw another player out there for a three minutes or so. SC should win by 25 just from what I saw.

If Scott Rueck coached this years Tennessee team, they’d be no less than a 2 seed a shoe in for the FF.

Reactions: VolFuture
Oregon State’s two super sophs were both top ten in their class and played like it today. Rueck hadn’t been to the tourney the year before they came in and managed to keep them after only winning 13 games as a freshman. He got some players somehow in the age of NIL and the rest fit around them well. Having multiple top players can help you win quickly

Oregon State’s two super sophs were both top ten in their class and played like it today. Rueck hadn’t been to the tourney the year before they came in and managed to keep them after only winning 13 games as a freshman. He got some players somehow in the age of NIL and the rest fit around them well. Having multiple top players can help you win quickly
Those two late 3s were the daggers. When players hit big shots in big games . . .

Question is can he keep them? I wonder who will jump in the portal at the end of the season, so they can play in a power 5 conference.

Reactions: glv98
Let me watch them again against SC if they beat Indiana. They look like the one of the slowest teams in women's basketball even slower that us. They plodded along made 26 turnovers to 4 for Notre Dame and still won.

Let me watch them again against SC if they beat Indiana. They look like the one of the slowest teams in women's basketball even slower that us. They plodded along made 26 turnovers to 4 for Notre Dame and still won.
Which is exactly why their coach had them playing so, so slowly. But with precision execution, esp when it counted. And they hit huge shots, like those two 3s, when they needed them most. That makes up for alot. The definition of doing more with less.

Which is exactly why their coach had them playing so, so slowly. But with precision execution, esp when it counted. And they hit huge shots, like those two 3s, when they needed them most. That makes up for alot.
They will need to slow the game way down if they play SC. Not getting in a hurry certainly paid off today.

Oh for sure. i didn’t mean to say that they won simply bc of the two players. They are not the most athletic team at all, but they do what they do well. If SC wins, it will depend on which team imposes their highest act. If SC runs, game over. If Oregon State slows it down, it could be a game. SC has to beat INdiana first though.

I guess I am used to teams running down the court and jacking up shots 12 seconds into the shot clock. Their patience on offense was impressive. They still scored 70 on 48 shots. Notre Dame get 73 shots and score 65.Possessions were Notre Dame 78 Oregon State 53. Plus 25 possessions and they still lose wow never seen a game like that.

Their coach takes the Don DeVoe approach anyone remember when he was Tennessee men's coach and we won 30 to 29 games.
Maybe not quite that low, but his teams were deliberate, to say the least. Odd thing was he'd crouch in a corner and direct every single pass as if they were in practice. His players called it robo ball. Devoe was a good coach but a real hardass. Left and went to Navy, which was probably perfect for him.

VN Store

Back