No longer an elite program

It took you until 2015 to realize that? You guys haven't been to a F4 in 7 years. Even Pat's last few years with SS and GJ were horrible. Give it up. It was fun.

How many FFs or Championships does USC have?

And let's not even bring up football

Last edited:
The last time we were in a final four, the current recruits were in elementary school. With the lack of depth in the women's game, that equals no longer being elite. No longer in the same breath as ND, let alone UConn.

Until next season. We will be elite again! GLV!!

I hate to break it to some of you but Pat didn't take the team to the final four every year. Out of 31 tourneys, she made it 18 times so I'm not really sure what the criteria is for being elite. Are we elite this year? No, we weren't. Will we be next year? That's yet to be determined. Some of you act like we are in the finals every year. We are not and never have been contrary to how some of you act. Get behind our team and cheer them on. We will be back. We have always come back. I admit I didn't want Holly to take over but I think she has done a pretty darn good job and I will stand by her until it's obvious a change is needed and that time is not now.

I hate to break it to some of you but Pat didn't take the team to the final four every year. Out of 31 tourneys, she made it 18 times so I'm not really sure what the criteria is for being elite. Are we elite this year? No, we weren't. Will we be next year? That's yet to be determined. Some of you act like we are in the finals every year. We are not and never have been contrary to how some of you act. Get behind our team and cheer them on. We will be back. We have always come back. I admit I didn't want Holly to take over but I think she has done a pretty darn good job and I will stand by her until it's obvious a change is needed and that time is not now.

that Warlick is not the answer and needs to be replaced? Here's the problem: We'll always make the tournament and, barring an even greater falloff, probably keep making the Sweet 16--we only have to beat two mediocre teams at home to get to the Sweet 16. We do it EVERY YEAR, or almost every year. But that is our ceiling now: We lose either the next game or the Elite 8 game. So what's the criteria? If we wait and slide even farther, we'll be in big trouble. Apparently a lot of fans are perfectly happy getting to the Sweet 16 now--the standards of our fans have fallen!

Reactions: 2 people
that Warlick is not the answer and needs to be replaced? Here's the problem: We'll always make the tournament and, barring an even greater falloff, probably keep making the Sweet 16--we only have to beat two mediocre teams at home to get to the Sweet 16. We do it EVERY YEAR, or almost every year. But that is our ceiling now: We lose either the next game or the Elite 8 game. So what's the criteria? If we wait and slide even farther, we'll be in big trouble. Apparently a lot of fans are perfectly happy getting to the Sweet 16 now--the standards of our fans have fallen!
I have the same standards now as before. If Holly gets us to 18 Final Fours in 31 tries, I will be happy. I'm still waiting on that long list of better coaches we could have hired instead of Holly that people talked about in an earlier thread.....

Reactions: 5 people
I'm still waiting on that long list of better coaches we could have hired instead of Holly that people talked about in an earlier thread.....

I'm guessing Walz, Mitchell and Caldwell have dropped off the chart. I predict some people still think Tyler Summitt can take them to the promised land :no:

Sadly I have to agree that this is no long an elite program and players are not growing up wanting to play for Tennessee anymore. We can change this within the next 3 years with Diamond, Mercedes, Tea, et al. But Holly have to be able to recruit great player that includes post players with size, pure shooters, good point guard and that one special player. in the past that one special player was Candace, Holtzclaw and Tomeka. Diamond will be that player for us the next two years. There will be no excuse to miss the final four next year.

Their trip to the FF may be a one-and-done. They will be good next year, but not as good as this year with the loss of Welch and to a lesser extent, Ibiam.

That just means Wilson and Coates will start the 4/5 positions.

What is Holly's recruiting criteria. Skill? Height? Or looks? Flame away. Its a joke.

Last edited:
The last time we were in a final four, the current recruits were in elementary school. With the lack of depth in the women's game, that equals no longer being elite. No longer in the same breath as ND, let alone UConn.

I've read thru the thread and as of yet you've yet to name a replacement for the current coach.

You've stated that we are not elite any longer but provided no pathway back to elite-ness other than the person in charge should not be in charge, which begs the question...

Who would you have carry us back to elite-ness, which I guess to you means final fours every year?

I've read thru the thread and as of yet you've yet to name a replacement for the current coach.

You've stated that we are not elite any longer but provided no pathway back to elite-ness other than the person in charge should not be in charge, which begs the question...

Who would you have carry us back to elite-ness, which I guess to you means final fours every year?

your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired

Reactions: 1 person

I'll give you one: Jim Jabir at Dayton. Look at their run in the tournament versus Tennessee's run and tell me honestly which was the better coached team. Imagine what he could do with some real talent.

Look for his name to come up for the next major coaching vacancy in women's basketball....

I'll give you one: Jim Jabir at Dayton. Look at their run in the tournament versus Tennessee's run and tell me honestly which was the better coached team. Imagine what he could do with some real talent.

Look for his name to come up for the next major coaching vacancy in women's basketball....

Jim Jabir has been around forever with a career coaching record of around .500. Yes, Dayton has had a couple good years, but I'm not sure I would say he is a better coach based on having a good record for the past couple seasons in the A10 conference. Not quite the same as the SEC, though they did make a nice run this year in the NCAA tourney.

Jim Jabir has been around forever with a career coaching record of around .500. Yes, Dayton has had a couple good years, but I'm not sure I would say he is a better coach based on having a good record for the past couple seasons in the A10 conference. Not quite the same as the SEC, though they did make a nice run this year in the NCAA tourney.

Ask Kentucky how they think he would do in the SEC....

You just lost any credibility you had with that statement. If they had hired this guy instead of Holly or Nikki people would have burned the place down. Get back to me next year at this time and compare how he did to what Holly did. Seriously, I'm stunned that this is what you came up with for a name.

Let's face it people. The woman's game is changing. In 20 years it will look even more different. Tennessee is still elite. Problem is. There are 10 to 20 other elite programs. Then there is UCONN. They are not elite. They are the freaking best team ever in woman's.

They would welcome them with open arms. Just because the sun shines on a dogs a** every once in a while doesn't mean they will bask in the sunshine all the time.

They had a hot run and beat some solid teams along the way, but they were a #7 seed coming in for a reason. And it's not like with Princeton where they were undefeated. They lost to some fairly average teams along the way.

But they definitely played very well in the tournament and their offensive execution was crisp and ball movement was solid. I don't know if anyone has seen them play outside the tournament, but I'd be curious to see whether or not they looked this good during the regular season.

Dayton lost 6 games before the NCAAs - after a bad opening loss, they lost at Gonzaga, at Iowa, and three times to GWU - so except for their first game, they only lost to NCAA teams (a 3 seed, an 11 seed, and three times to a a 6 seed.) So, I would say they didn't have any bad losses except for that first one.
Jabir had a very bad run in a very bad situation at Providence which is where coaches go to die - they have not supported the women's team in the modern era - they were last relevant in the early 90s. He is at .613 in his 11 seasons at Dayton and that includes 15-41 in his first two seasons - since then he is around .750

VN Store

Back