No longer an elite program

The last time we were in a final four, the current recruits were in elementary school. With the lack of depth in the women's game, that equals no longer being elite. No longer in the same breath as ND, let alone UConn.

Only 4 schools in the country can claim to be more "elite" than Tn this year.

Take a long hike off a short pier, why don't ya,Troll.

I don't like Holly. With that said she did a great job with the major injuries. Quit crying and be happy

That we beat mighty Pitt at home in the tourney? Not a top 35 team--and had to hang on to do that? That we rallied against Gonzaga--not a top 35 team? We haven't even been to the final four in 7/8 years. The SEC is not even a good basketball conference. South Carolina was the only other good team in the conference. I can take losing--but I'm tired of seeing us wilt and play terribly in big games. It's the lack of confidence that is troubling--that is why we shoot so badly. Maryland was completely beatable last night: Had we played even a halfway decent offensive game we would have won. We missed a TON of easy shots in the first half. You have to make shots, and we didn't.

The thing is the talent pool in girls basketball is slowly getting better. Besides uconn there is starting to be more parody. Now I know that no one wants to hear this and I can't stand they guy buy Geno is the best coach in women's basketball history. If he continues to coach In the women's game he will have more national titles and wins than coach summit. He of course will never be the trail blazer she was, and he might never have caught her if she didn't get sick in wins but I think he would have in titles.

We are still an elite program. Unfortunately the woman's game has changed but our perception of it hasn't. Parity has come to it. What UCONN has going is unbelievable. They not only get great athletic girls. They get the purest shooters. Its going to be a while before they fall off. Will Tennessee ever win another title. I don't know. Question is when will UCONN not win one.

Oh, they get great players and great shooters. There is a lot more to UConn than that: They have a great coach who gets the most out of them, who understands how to coach great team offense, and they play hard and with confidence. We, on the other hand, have lost our mojo: we do not have great coaching, we do not have a great offense and we do not play well under pressure.

We're still Elite.
Yes been down a bit. This year is trending up, couple of shots or a missed 3 and we're in final four with our best all american on the sideline. 30 wins not bad in a bit of rebuilding year. With the new players we can be competitive with UConn next year.
Really wish Izzy could have finished - it would have been fun to see if we could've taken UConn or ND. They are Only 2 programs clearly better than us right now with Izzy healthy.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm a big lady-vol fan as anyone but no were not an elite program.Some people on here seem to defend Holly instead of her coaching ability.We can beat teams on talent but when we play teams equal we lose.Next year if we can't get to the final four I think it's time go in a different direction.

Reactions: 1 person
Pat was suffering from Alzheimer's the last few years she coached. Both Holly and Pat have said that Holly was handling the bulk of the responsibilities then. I like Holly, and I respect her hard work and obvious love for UT. But great assistants don't always make great head coaches. Leaders lead, and natural leaders don't stay in someone's shadow for 30 years. We are an elite program, although a diminished one, and I hope we always will be. But the competition is stiffer now, and Holly will never be Pat.

The last time we were in a final four, the current recruits were in elementary school. With the lack of depth in the women's game, that equals no longer being elite. No longer in the same breath as ND, let alone UConn.

It's just the lamentations of people who find their worth in the college sports they support with their fandom.

These people have been let down because their expectations are only to win- always.

They do not live in reality.

Do our fans deserve an elite team? When we lose most of the petulant, whiny little hermits come out of the woodwork and spin around on the floor and have temper tantrums like a bunch of little two year olds.

Reactions: 4 people
Do our fans deserve an elite team? When we lose most of the petulant, whiny little hermits come out of the woodwork and spin around on the floor and have temper tantrums like a bunch of little two year olds.

In fairness, they do that when Tennessee wins also. See Gonzaga game.

It took you until 2015 to realize that? You guys haven't been to a F4 in 7 years. Even Pat's last few years with SS and GJ were horrible. Give it up. It was fun.

how many final fours has SC been to? 1 :eek:lol:

Have fun getting beat by ND. but hey it was fun.

Reactions: 3 people
Let's see, they were ranked in the top ten all year and went to the elite 8. Yea, their not an elite program anymore. (sarcasm) Some of you people are as dumb as they come.

A lot on here don't wanna hear it and would never admit it, but the truth is UT was not an elite program the last 3-4 years Pat coached either. The decline began under her and has continued under Holly. FACT.

Agreed, but we don't like to talk about that because possibly some of that on the court decline could be due in part to Pats cognitive decline in the early stages of her illness.

Let's see, they were ranked in the top ten all year and went to the elite 8. Yea, their not an elite program anymore. (sarcasm) Some of you people are as dumb as they come.

This crew that believes we are still elite and still at the level that the Lady Vols once was are what hurt our program the most. Yall have fun accepting mediocrity.

Your acceptance of the product on the court will only send us spiraling further into irrelevance

I think we are still Elite. We just aren't a Top 2/3 program at this time. I think we will be back though. Notre Dame is elite but never win championships. I wonder do their fans complain about going to FF4s and never winning. I'm still upset about last night. Holly needs to go talk to a NBA coach and ask what are the best options when you have a player like Diamond and a player like Russell. We have to start thinking outside of the box.

WE did fantastic this season....
Take away 3 top players from any teams left playing and they lose too.

Reactions: 5 people
This crew that believes we are still elite and still at the level that the Lady Vols once was are what hurt our program the most. Yall have fun accepting mediocrity.

Your acceptance of the product on the court will only send us spiraling further into irrelevance

No they are still a elite team. What we have lost is some elite fans and gained fans that do not have a clue.

It took you until 2015 to realize that? You guys haven't been to a F4 in 7 years. Even Pat's last few years with SS and GJ were horrible. Give it up. It was fun.

Now this is hilarious....the first time the little chickens make it to the final four and you start talking about the Vols not being an elite team. Pat wrote the book on women's basketball and that is why we have so many banners in our arena. How many ya'll got? Shut up.

This team overachieved considering our injury woes. Thank you to the
Lady Vol seniors. Cierra Burdick, Ariel Massengale, and Isabelle Harrison.
Warlick on seniors, They are just outstanding young women. They do a lot in the community and just the type of kids we want at Tennessee.
Ariel Massengale: "Cierra, Izzy, and I wanted to
take our team back to the Final Four and wanted to end the drought. It hurts."
Until Hart puts money into the Lady Program it will be hard to be an elite program
Rank # 1 Baylor $5,921,999 (8% of total budget)
Rank #2 Connecticut $5,914,490 (9 of total)
Rank # 3 Vanderbilt $5,574,838 (9% of total
Rank #4 Oklahoma $5,411,291 (5% of total
Rank #5 Ohio St. $5,049,957 (4% of total
Rank # 6 Notre Dame $4,888,869 (6% of total
Rank # 7 Duke $4,811,565 (6% of total
Rank #8 Texas $4,688,863 (3% of total
Rank #10 Texas A$M $4,650,906 (6% of total
Rank #12 Kentucky $4,201,293 (5% of total
Rank #13 Penn St. $4,061,779 (4% of total
Rank #14 Rutgers $4,035,221 (6% of total
Rank #16 Florida St. $3,954,413 (5% of total
Rank #17 Louisville $3,861,717 (4% of total
Rank # 20 Tennessee $3,753,604 (3% of total
Rank #21 South Carolina $3,731,999 (4% of total
Rank # 23 LSU $3,511,302 (3% of total
Rank # 24 Stanford $3,445,917 (4% of total

Were still an elite program with our most talented players sitting on the bench for one reason or another. You have to be considered an elite program if you win 30 games and make the elite 8. Any top ten team would be an elite program.

The fact that people are complaining about this team only making the elite 8 without our Starting center is proof enough that UT is and will always be an elite program. You can only count on one hand the teams that are not happy about their teams "only" making the elite 8. I was happy with effort from the Lady Vols last night our size in the paint finally caught up to us.

damn grow up,most of the people doing all the fire this and that one haven't even posted in the Lady Vols Forum till CPS had to retire and the above ass holes were wanting to fire CPS? really ? if she wasn't a good enough coach for you,who the hell is ?

should I list all CPS accomplishments ? I assume you don't know who she is or what she has done for Women's Basketball ? or don't care, you will notice that all the championship banners that are hanging in TBA are hers ? if you haven't noticed that is her name on the court

I don't mind people giving CHW a hard time,which to me she doesn't deserve, but a University of Tennessee living Legend ? with what has happened to her?grow up,there will never be another coach that has done what she has done for the Vols or women's sports

And here is the definition of complacency. Someone accomplished something at one time so we just ride it out "cause they earned it".

As Christian Laettner would say, "you can't just sit back and rest on your laurels"

VN Store

Back