No longer an elite program

This team overachieved considering our injury woes. Thank you to the
Lady Vol seniors. Cierra Burdick, Ariel Massengale, and Isabelle Harrison.
Warlick on seniors, They are just outstanding young women. They do a lot in the community and just the type of kids we want at Tennessee.
Ariel Massengale: "Cierra, Izzy, and I wanted to
take our team back to the Final Four and wanted to end the drought. It hurts."
Until Hart puts money into the Lady Program it will be hard to be an elite program
Rank # 1 Baylor $5,921,999 (8% of total budget)
Rank #2 Connecticut $5,914,490 (9 of total)
Rank # 3 Vanderbilt $5,574,838 (9% of total
Rank #4 Oklahoma $5,411,291 (5% of total
Rank #5 Ohio St. $5,049,957 (4% of total
Rank # 6 Notre Dame $4,888,869 (6% of total
Rank # 7 Duke $4,811,565 (6% of total
Rank #8 Texas $4,688,863 (3% of total
Rank #10 Texas A$M $4,650,906 (6% of total
Rank #12 Kentucky $4,201,293 (5% of total
Rank #13 Penn St. $4,061,779 (4% of total
Rank #14 Rutgers $4,035,221 (6% of total
Rank #16 Florida St. $3,954,413 (5% of total
Rank #17 Louisville $3,861,717 (4% of total
Rank # 20 Tennessee $3,753,604 (3% of total
Rank #21 South Carolina $3,731,999 (4% of total
Rank # 23 LSU $3,511,302 (3% of total
Rank # 24 Stanford $3,445,917 (4% of total

Vanderbilt is getting a horrible ROI

Vanderbilt is getting a horrible ROI

I wonder what inputs go into those numbers. I feel we need to give Holly at least two more years. That will be 5 years. We really should have a great shot at a NC next year or at least a Final Four. If not then we need to take a hard look at her.

It took you until 2015 to realize that? You guys haven't been to a F4 in 7 years. Even Pat's last few years with SS and GJ were horrible. Give it up. It was fun.

It's seldom that I won't support an SEC team against an ACC team. But in your case, I might make an exception.

Reactions: 2 people
More proof that Tennessee really does have the dumbest fanbase on the planet.

Does anyone realize that we got to shoot ONE FREAKING FREE THROW last night?????

NO TEAM ON THIS PLANET will win against close to equal competition dealing with that.

Good Lord. Ya'll need to get over the butthurt and look at the circumstances.

Reactions: 3 people
It's seldom that I won't support an SEC team against an ACC team. But in your case, I might make an exception.

Their trip to the FF may be a one-and-done. They will be good next year, but not as good as this year with the loss of Welch and to a lesser extent, Ibiam.

At least 5 times, Bashara got prison raped down low and no call. She reaches to bat away an entry pass and.... BAM! FOUL!!!

These officials in the women's game really do suck. If they only knew how much they damage the credibility of the game.

Reactions: 3 people

Does anyone realize that we got to shoot ONE FREAKING FREE THROW last night?????

NO TEAM ON THIS PLANET will win against close to equal competition dealing with that.

So what exactly is the point you are making. And how does that relate to whether UT is still an elite program.

Next heart will tell whether Holly can do the job. A lot of players back from injuries and a new difference maker. No final four next year and the confidence in Holly will deteriorate quickly.

In your opinion, was the fact the we only shot 1 free throw due to our style of play or the referee's bias ?

Last edited:
In your opinion, was the fact the we only shot 1 free throw due to our style of play or the referee's incompetence ?

The refs allowed quite a bit of physical play under both baskets. MD didn't start really shooting FTs until Tennessee started fouling to prolong the game.

The refs allowed quite a bit of physical play under both baskets. MD didn't start really shooting FTs until Tennessee started fouling to prolong the game.

I agree. Neither team went to the line very much at all until the very end of the game. It's another case of fans complaining when the refs let them play and don't blow the whistle or complain when there are too many fouls called and it interrupts the flow of play. Like some coaches, the refs are in a no win situation.

The last time we were in a final four, the current recruits were in elementary school. With the lack of depth in the women's game, that equals no longer being elite. No longer in the same breath as ND, let alone UConn.

Where have you been since 2009? I don't disagree with your assertion, but it didn't just happen last night.

This team overachieved considering our injury woes. Thank you to the
Lady Vol seniors. Cierra Burdick, Ariel Massengale, and Isabelle Harrison.
Warlick on seniors, They are just outstanding young women. They do a lot in the community and just the type of kids we want at Tennessee.
Ariel Massengale: "Cierra, Izzy, and I wanted to
take our team back to the Final Four and wanted to end the drought. It hurts."
Until Hart puts money into the Lady Program it will be hard to be an elite program
Rank # 1 Baylor $5,921,999 (8% of total budget)
Rank #2 Connecticut $5,914,490 (9 of total)
Rank # 3 Vanderbilt $5,574,838 (9% of total
Rank #4 Oklahoma $5,411,291 (5% of total
Rank #5 Ohio St. $5,049,957 (4% of total
Rank # 6 Notre Dame $4,888,869 (6% of total
Rank # 7 Duke $4,811,565 (6% of total
Rank #8 Texas $4,688,863 (3% of total
Rank #10 Texas A$M $4,650,906 (6% of total
Rank #12 Kentucky $4,201,293 (5% of total
Rank #13 Penn St. $4,061,779 (4% of total
Rank #14 Rutgers $4,035,221 (6% of total
Rank #16 Florida St. $3,954,413 (5% of total
Rank #17 Louisville $3,861,717 (4% of total
Rank # 20 Tennessee $3,753,604 (3% of total
Rank #21 South Carolina $3,731,999 (4% of total
Rank # 23 LSU $3,511,302 (3% of total
Rank # 24 Stanford $3,445,917 (4% of total

I still get upset when I see us ranked 20th in the amount of money spent on our women's basketball team. I bet the men's basketball team has a lot more than that at its disposal. When the University going to realize that the Lady Vol's basketball team is important to this University. A lot of us became Lady Vol fans because of the greatness that Pat put into this program, making it the most elite program ever.

Reactions: 1 person
As I said before I do not hate Holly, but in realty she is not an elite coach no matter how many wins she has. She has a ways to go before she is in the elite ranks. Does she know defense it appears that she does, however, when it comes to coaching and making changes on the fly, especially on offense, she appears to be lacking.

We keep trying to blame players for loses, repeated mistakes, and bad decisions, but no matter which way you cut it, some of that responsibility has to be blamed on the head coach and/or the entire coaching staff. We talk about our players being at the wrong division level, how others are too slow, and others do not have very high basketball IQ's. Who recruited these players? Who is responsible for their development? Why are they not playing like other five star players?

Not every great coach is the greatest tactician or knows everything about the game, however, he/she knows his/her weaknesses and tries to surround themselves with a great staff that turns their weaknesses into strengths for the team. Yes we did great this year, no argument, but for us to become a consistent top 5 team we need to make some changes. Our offense and offensive decisions have to get better.

Last edited:
As I said before I do not hate Holly, but in realty she is not an elite coach no matter how many wins she has. She has a ways to go before she is in the elite ranks. Does she know defense it appears that she does, however, when it comes to coaching and making changes on the fly, especially on offense, she appears to be lacking.

We keep trying to blame players for loses, repeated mistakes, and bad decisions, but no matter which way you cut it, some of that responsibility has to be blamed on the head coach and/or the entire coaching staff. We talk about our players being at the wrong division level, how others are too slow, and others do not have very high basketball IQ's. Who recruited these players? Who is responsible for their development? Why are they not playing like other five star players?

Not every great coach is the greatest tactician or knows everything about the game, however, he/she knows his/her weaknesses and tries to surround themselves with a great staff that turns their weaknesses into strengths for the team. Yes we did great this year, no argument, but for us to become a consistent top 5 team we need to make some changes. Our offense and offensive decisions have to get better.

Teacherdan, correct me if I am wrong but weren't you one of the Jeff Waltz bang-wagoners earlier in the season as a replacement for CHW??? We see how his team did.

The last time we were in a final four, the current recruits were in elementary school. With the lack of depth in the women's game, that equals no longer being elite. No longer in the same breath as ND, let alone UConn.

FQ is making the final four the definition of being Elite? UConn for women is like UK on the men's side this year ... it is them and then everyone else. Next year if UT is healthy, they will be expected to make the final four so will they then be elite? If they make the final four and don't make it to the finals people will still question the team and CHW. Until she wins a championship, she and her teams will always be criticizes.

I think Uconn has in the last few years distanced themselves from the field and I think ND is following right behind. After those two programs, there are another 6, 8, whatever teams that are very competitive and 'elite'. TN isn't going away, they are vying for FFs most years - they are not at the same level they were at in the 90s-2008, but that has more to do with the competition which has gotten stronger than with TN falling behind.

Is Holly a great coach, probably not, but she has kept TN relevant in both the SEC and nationally and there aren't that many great coaches out there - and it isn't just the coach - it is the marriage between program and coach which is not easy to find. GG at Duke was very successful, at TX she was a disaster. JPM at Duke has not been as good as she looked elsewhere.

So why does everyone want Pearl back then ?

You don't know much about basketball to make that comparison. Elite 8 for men's is solid enough for the CURRENT expectations of our men's bball fans.

With the current dispairty in women's basketball it does not mean the same thing when they ONLY go to the elite 8.

Apples and Oranges...not saying anythi bad about women's athletics

Last edited:
Agreed ... all in with that one.... Now the question.... how best to change the situation...... i think the answer pretty clear

The answer is clear. We continue building and moving in a positive direction! Holly has improved her win count in each of her 3 years. We will continue to improve with a healthy roster and great things are yet to come !

I know it's tough for people to accept, as evidenced by the impassioned responses about how close the game was last night. It isn't a one game or one season indictment. If you took 'Lady Vols' off the records for the last 7 years and showed them to people around the country, they'd say, "that's a very good program that can't get over the hump." 6 teams (off the top of my head, it may be more) have gone to multiple final fours in that timeframe. But because of all the great history behind those records, the name carries weight.

It will be refreshing when this pro-Holly negative-Holly argument gets settled in the next three years....and it will get settled. The DeShields-Russell-Cooper class is the make or break.

VN Store

Back