No coach .....

Vandy played UF when injuries had decimated their team and they were playing their back up QB. Georgia was also plaques by injuries. Let's not act like Vandy beat Georgia and UF when they were totally healthy.

Bro, the level of reaching you are displaying is nearing astronomical levels. Butch Jones couldn't even beat this year's cluster**** Florida team AT HOME. Are you seriously going to argue that those two games turn into automatic wins for you under some other circumstances? Even with Gurley out, last year's Georgia team was WAY more talented than Vanderbilt. Aaron Murray still played, and they completely shut him down, in fact it was one of his worst games of his UGA career.

Reactions: 3 people
I would just like to see after 18 games at least one thing happen to make me think he is going to out coach someone. So far it hasn't happened. Looks like he is going to be another one of those TN coaches who can only win with far superior talent than the other team. If it's close or equal we have no chance.

After all that's who wins the games, the better players

None, not one, nada, would have came in here and started with what CBJ has and done any better. It is a process folks. Everyone is tired of hearing how young we are, well its because WE ARE!!! What needs to happen? Fire CBJ? Do we really want to go down Knee Jerk Avenue again? Wait, I'm sorry firing a NC coach with a 75% winning percentage without a plan is not kneejerk, its freakin stupid. But, thats for another thread.

Ok. I know that the chances of beating Alabama are slim, but I think we "can" win the rest. I dont think we will win out, but I think we "can". Let me preach on it.

South Carolina - Tough to play them on the road, but it will probably be a 12:00 kickoff which will make it a little less rowdy in Columbia.

Mizzou - We may win, could get the hell beat out of us. Will we get the MIzzou that Ga played or the Mizzou that Fla played. Will the real Mizzou, please stand up.

Kentucky - After last night, let me be the first to welcome the big blue back to earth. It will be the way it always is, was, and will be. They will bring a ton of fans here, plan victory parties, and leave upset to the chant of "same ole Wildcats, same ole Wildcats".

Vanderbilt - Our home game in Nashville. Checkerboard their stadium. They've got an a** whoopin coming.

GO BIG ORANGE.[/QU
I like how you put it. Most of us understand the process. It has went on longer than we expected after Fulmer. We are tired of coming up short a play/game from making a bowl. Their is a chance we may not make one this yr and maybe next. We want hope and our BAD OL play and new QB next yr doesn't provide a lot of hope. Fans fear a couple of more bowless seasons. How we lost to a bad FL team @ home when the fans brought it just has a lot of ppl paranoid

Bro, the level of reaching you are displaying is nearing astronomical levels. Butch Jones couldn't even beat this year's cluster**** Florida team AT HOME. Are you seriously going to argue that those two games turn into automatic wins for you under some other circumstances? Even with Gurley out, last year's Georgia team was WAY more talented than Vanderbilt. Aaron Murray still played, and they completely shut him down, in fact it was one of his worst games of his UGA career.

So, in essence, you want CBJ fired tonight, correct???

Listen OP. Of course it's a process.
Florida is in the process of firing their coach
UT fans came prepared and ready to win. UF came prepared and ready to lose. The only problem is that Jones couldn't find a way to manufacture a freakin TD against a team that is in the ditch. I mean in the ditch.

I didn't expect UT to win 8 games, but I expected a staff that could do more with less. And sorry, but there are coaches who would do better. You think Petrino or Freeze wouldnt be able to one TD against UF and Ole Miss. One.

Nope, not with this line and QB

Reactions: 1 person
None, not one, nada, would have came in here and started with what CBJ has and done any better. It is a process folks. Everyone is tired of hearing how young we are, well its because WE ARE!!! What needs to happen? Fire CBJ? Do we really want to go down Knee Jerk Avenue again? Wait, I'm sorry firing a NC coach with a 75% winning percentage without a plan is not kneejerk, its freakin stupid. But, thats for another thread.

Ok. I know that the chances of beating Alabama are slim, but I think we "can" win the rest. I dont think we will win out, but I think we "can". Let me preach on it.

South Carolina - Tough to play them on the road, but it will probably be a 12:00 kickoff which will make it a little less rowdy in Columbia.

Mizzou - We may win, could get the hell beat out of us. Will we get the MIzzou that Ga played or the Mizzou that Fla played. Will the real Mizzou, please stand up.

Kentucky - After last night, let me be the first to welcome the big blue back to earth. It will be the way it always is, was, and will be. They will bring a ton of fans here, plan victory parties, and leave upset to the chant of "same ole Wildcats, same ole Wildcats".

Vanderbilt - Our home game in Nashville. Checkerboard their stadium. They've got an a** whoopin coming.

GO BIG ORANGE.

This statement is false. Hugh Freeze took over a team that had went 2-10 the year prior to his taking the position and 4-8 the year prior to that. Ole Miss went 1-15 in league play in the 2 years prior to Freeze taking over. These are significantly worse records than what UT posted in the two years prior to Jones taking over. In year year one he improved to 7-6; year two he went 8-5; and you now see what he is doing in year three. Mullen took over a Miss. State team that had went 5-7 in the two year prior to his taking over. In year 1 he went 5-7, but in year two his team went 9-4.

With regard winning out after Bama, we should do so, but I wouldn't count on it with the way that this O-line is regressing rather than progressing as the season goes on. I hope you are right, and I am wrong. With regard to the games already played, I agree that we weren't expected to beat anyone other than Florida, but there is no excuse for blowing that Florida game. That Florida team that beat us is an absolutely horrible Florida team. Additionally, while I can live with our performance against Georgia, and even to certain degree our performance against Oklahoma, the horrible performance by our offense last night is inexcusable. We may not have the ability to win an SEC title yet, but have the ability to do better than what we saw last night if our guys were properly coached. I am sorry, I am not going to bury my head in the sand and ignore the obvious signs that this coaching staff isn't getting it done. I hope they turn it around, because we can't afford to start anew with yet another coaching staff. But I am starting to have serious doubts about this staff's ability to get it turned around! I will also say that if this staff doesn't have what it takes, the next time we hire a head coach, we shouldn't make another budget hire hoping to find a diamond in the rough. We need to pay the big bucks necessary to lure in a proven winner whether that be Dan Mullen, Hugh Freeze, David Cutcliffe, Bobby Petrino or Art Briles. We have one of the largest stadiums in the nation, and a fan base that is ready to support a winning team. Enough is enough!

After all that's who wins the games, the better players

You can't be serious. "Less talented" teams win every single week. Bill Snyder has made a career of doing it at Kansas State, and he just did it AGAIN beating Oklahoma on the freaking road. Kansas State is more talented than Oklahoma?

Both of them DID LOSE to their "big" OOC opponents in year one. Ole Miss lost to Texas, and MSU lost to both Georgia Tech AND Houston. To say that MSU was handed a cupcake OOC schedule in Mullen's first year is a joke. Georgia Tech won 11 game that year, Houston won 10. A loss is a loss...it doesn't make a difference if the loss came against Oregon, or if it came against Texas, Houston, or Georgia Tech.

Both did play ****ty OOC schedules in their second years (a bad Texas team for Ole Miss and a bad Houston team for MSU) with both being wins, but even if you were to replace those two wins with automatic losses, what do you get? MSU wins 8 games instead of 9, and Ole Miss wins 7 games instead of 8. Both seasons are still respectable, even if you take out the two weak OOC wins and replace them with auto-losses. Butch Jones on the other hand is on pace to win what, 5 games this season? 6 if they pull a huge upset? Even if you remove that Oklahoma loss and replace it with a win (to match Ole Miss and MSU in year two), you're still looking at a 6 win season, 7 at best if you want to speculate a miracle.

You're still behind what Mullen and Freeze did; regardless of the OOC games.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/227969-sagarin-2-strength-schedule.html

Go read this thread then do your research and tell what strength of schedule Freeze or Mullen played in year 2.

I know both of them only played the schedule they were dealt but I also do not think some are recognizing the schedule Jones has been dealt the last couple of years and the toll it takes on the team.

So, in essence, you want CBJ fired tonight, correct???

You can't be serious. "Less talented" teams win every single week. Bill Snyder has made a career of doing it at Kansas State, and he just did it AGAIN beating Oklahoma on the freaking road. Kansas State is more talented than Oklahoma?

So you refuse to answer a question? Way to go big boy. The simple question - Do you want CBJ fired?

If we had Vandys schedule last year, we would have easily made a bowl game.

Compare Vandys schedules to ours. Vandy played UF when injuries had decimated their team and they were playing their back up QB. Georgia was also plaques by injuries. Let's not act like Vandy beat Georgia and UF when they were totally healthy.

Keep in mind it is Vandy, you're talking about....not Bama, LSU, or Auburn...but VANDY.

And to your 1st sentence, had UT beaten Vandy, UT would have well made a bowl game.

That's a false statement. Jones may yet turn things around and win championships at UT but there have been several coaches recently take over similar situations and succeed quickly... UT just played one of them.

Funny. Everyone of the Ole Miss folks I talked to all said that we reminded them of their own team last year. Down to the skills upgrades, defense being great, and OL being a mess.

So you refuse to answer a question? Way to go big boy. The simple question - Do you want CBJ fired?

I'm an Auburn fan, do you really care if I want Butch fired or not? To answer your question, no, you can't fire him until at least after next season, but the argument here isn't whether you need to fire him, it is whether or not he has what it takes to actually turn Tennessee into a nationally competitive program in this conference. A coach either has that or he doesn't...in my opinion, I have not seen Butch Jones as being one who possesses those qualities. If he doesn't have it, then it doesn't matter if he's there for 3 years, or 8 years. Recruiting means nothing; not in this conference where all of the big-name schools can recruit. You have to start showing something on the field, and no, that doesn't mean just "winning". Losing to Florida this season, at home, is a gigantic red flag.

Funny. Everyone of the Ole Miss folks I talked to all said that we reminded them of their own team last year. Down to the skills upgrades, defense being great, and OL being a mess.

Heard that also all day and night long yesterday, but they do love to see Tennessee down. Biggest bunch of snobs I've ever been around. I know I can't judge every Reb but those 50 yd line chair back peeps were something else.. Felt like I was sitting amongst kings and queens of nations.

GO BIG ORANGE.

We win UK and Vandy, but need to win one of the other two to make the season a solid success.

GO BIG ORANGE.

horse crap. jones just can't coach it is that simple.

Those who have an influence upon such decisions will not even consider questioning Coach Jones tenure for 3 to 4 more years. You can cry all you want.

Not even close to being accurate.

I'm pretty certain CBJ is here for awhile and hope he makes it a no brainer to keep him, but make no mistake about it, if he goes 4-8 or 5-7 this season and follows it up with the same next season his ass will be gone as it should be.

Reactions: 3 people
Not even close to being accurate.

I'm pretty certain CBJ is here for awhile and hope he makes it a no brainer to keep him, but make no mistake about it, if he goes 4-8 or 5-7 this season and follows it up with the same next season his ass will be gone as it should be.

You are wrong but you do have every right to be. The only way Jones doesn't get at least 5 years is if he tires of this nut case of a fan base and moves to greener pastures.

Last edited:
1976 Battle 6-5
1977 Majors 4-7
1978 Majors 5-5-1
1979 Majors 7-5
1980 Majors 5-6

Battle's worst record was 6-5. To quote Mick Jagger: We can't always get what we want.

Yep, and if you think that Majors is the rule rather than the exception, then that is truly sad. Also, if you think that any program can afford to give a coach they are paying millions and millions of dollars the same leeway guys 40 years ago got, you really need to look around.

The sane way you do not have proof to back up that any other coach would have doen any better than Jones. You can try to compare but there is going to be a difference no matter how hard you try to make there not be one.

Can you show any fact that Jones would not have done the same or better than Freeze at Ole Miss because if not your agrument does not hold water.

I like your Freudian slip there. Yes, any sane person can see that Freeze took over a worse situation with less resources and less talent than what Butch inherited.

And don't whine to me about the burden of proof. The OP introduced the thread by declaring no one else could do any better, which is, quite frankly, absurd.

Reactions: 2 people
Yep, and if you think that Majors is the rule rather than the exception, then that is truly sad. Also, if you think that any program can afford to give a coach they are paying millions and millions of dollars the same leeway guys 40 years ago got, you really need to look around.

LOL....If you intend to hang around as a VOL fan, some would probably recommend that you divert some of your energy into finding something positive to focus upon. The efforts you will go to exacerbate the negative is truly remarkable. Coach Jones and the Vols are more or less right where most expected them to be. Suck it up.

9]I like your Freudian slip there. Yes, any sane person can see that Freeze took over a worse situation with less resources and less talent than what Butch inherited. [/B]

And don't whine to me about the burden of proof. The OP introduced the thread by declaring no one else could do any better, which is, quite frankly, absurd.

Prove Freeze took over a worse situation with fact not something you make up or that is your opinion but with cold hard fact. I will be waiting:whistling:

Could any coach beat UF? We'll have to ask all the ones that do this year after Muschamp is fired and ask them.

VN Store

Back