No coach .....

No they didn't. And any criticism levied at that performance was warranted.

It'll be 3 weeks removed when we take the field against a very underwhelming USCe defense. Should see some progress against a lesser opponent.

I hope you're right, it would be nice to have some positivity about the team and the coaches.

Those two (Freeze and Mullen) were still putting up respectable seasons (7 or more wins) even while they were still "building", hence there was tangible proof that their "process" was at least heading in the right direction, because they still found ways to win games. Freeze is in year three, but his team has won 7 or more games in all three of those seasons. Dan Mullen? 7 or more wins in five out of six seasons...the only season in which his team won less than 7 games was his first one. So really, those two are a combined eight of nine. Butch Jones is en-route to zero in two.

Could you stop pouting long enough to pull up some of your old posts where you praised the hiring of those two, or begged for UT to hire them when looking for a coach. Just asking since you seem to be an expert at spotting proper rebuilding of college football teams.

Unless we win it all, there will always be someone who did more with less, won more than us, beat who we couldn't beat etc. I just find it hard to see how you being productive pointing any of this out, which is obvious. What good is it?

Do you want to fire our new coach mid season? Are you hoping we hire away Mullen or Freeze? What is your plan? Outside of complaining that is.

Not huge on sports shows but did appreciate what the sports source did Sunday.
They broke down the # of starts by a line... no opinions, just factual numbers.
For 3 years they looked at the numbers for the entire country and the SEC seperately.
The result gave me a better understanding....And basically, for all those (including me) who have said " other coaches have done similiar", No....No they haven't.

This is not me saying Butch will do this or that, I have to see myself..
Never have had the ability of others to see the future, good or bad.
I do understand the complete cluster**ck of what he is working with.

Nothing is going to make that line SEC ready but time.
Given I am as sick of waiting as everyone else, I believe I will start going to
games at UF and Bama. When I hear something frustrating from the UT game,
I will discreetly chuck a rock at Kiffen/Muschamp.
Best possible use I could find for my frustration.

Reactions: 3 people
Does anybody remember Sunseri's defense? That was 2 years ago. We now have a top 10 defense by anybody's measure.

That's a false statement. Jones may yet turn things around and win championships at UT but there have been several coaches recently take over similar situations and succeed quickly... UT just played one of them.

The game had passed Fulmer by. He and his poor recruiting/player discipline is what started this whole mess. Recruits weren't listening anymore and especially OL's.

If you look back... Dooley's OL recruiting was at least as good as Fulmer's last 3 years. And just to be sure you know... that's not a compliment.

Jones gets this year and next. If he has another losing season this year then he will be and will deserve to be on a hot seat needing something GOOD to save himself in '15.

This year so far is not going any better than last year. Last year they had neither a good D nor a good O. This year the D is playing well. Next year you basically have the same OL's to choose from... and a new QB. How much better do you really expect it to be?

Fulmer had 10 wins in 2007. None since with three coaches. Keep preaching but with each passing year the "Adams" argument is idiotic. Bring in Cutcliff and they will win SECCG.

I agree.
The hard times make the good times sweeter.
I recall sitting on my couch the night we won it all, telling myself, "Savor this.... You may never have this moment ever again."
And I did.
Dammit, I did!

I remember Phillip Doyle ruining the best seats I ever had for a game at Neyland.

Gotta support Butch! I'm full Butch ahead!! Brick by brick y'all!!!! Everyone needs to learn patience, Dooley killed this program!!!! To all negavols, the door is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!

#VFL #GBO #BRICKBYBRICK

CBJ is the Vols coach and he is the right man for this job, I am sorry this offends some but it is true. His recruiting abilty is outragous, just give him time to develop them. Don't give up, You really disrespect him when you guys compare him to Dooley and Kiffen. Them two yahoo's don't even come close. We got us a coach guy's I'm telling you. Just wait and see.:clapping:

I'm sure we all have short memories due to alcohol abuse around here, but this is exactly what people were saying about Dooley until late in his 3rd year. It's getting old.

I'm sure we all have short memories due to alcohol abuse around here, but this is exactly what people were saying about Dooley until late in his 3rd year. It's getting old.

THIS. It's amazing to see the vitriol and blame toward Dooley now coming from the same people who went ballistic over even modest criticism during his obviously flawed tenure here. Except it really is not surprising at all.

None, not one, nada, would have came in here and started with what CBJ has and done any better. It is a process folks. Everyone is tired of hearing how young we are, well its because WE ARE!!! What needs to happen? Fire CBJ? Do we really want to go down Knee Jerk Avenue again? Wait, I'm sorry firing a NC coach with a 75% winning percentage without a plan is not kneejerk, its freakin stupid. But, thats for another thread.

Ok. I know that the chances of beating Alabama are slim, but I think we "can" win the rest. I dont think we will win out, but I think we "can". Let me preach on it.

South Carolina - Tough to play them on the road, but it will probably be a 12:00 kickoff which will make it a little less rowdy in Columbia.

Mizzou - We may win, could get the hell beat out of us. Will we get the MIzzou that Ga played or the Mizzou that Fla played. Will the real Mizzou, please stand up.

Kentucky - After last night, let me be the first to welcome the big blue back to earth. It will be the way it always is, was, and will be. They will bring a ton of fans here, plan victory parties, and leave upset to the chant of "same ole Wildcats, same ole Wildcats".

Vanderbilt - Our home game in Nashville. Checkerboard their stadium. They've got an a** whoopin coming.

GO BIG ORANGE.

Love your post Big Orange 1!! It is a process and I am proud of the way the Vols are playing! That first half was extremely competitive - just got out of hand later. Next year the OL will be miles ahead of this year. . .I would like to see our RT position produce more quickness - got beat badly on numerous occasions.

Would really love to see Worley run some after riding Hurd into the line - seems like it would be open.

Love the vibe in Knoxville. . .stay positive everyone!

It will happen. . .

Go Vols!

Mike

None, not one, nada, would have came in here and started with what CBJ has and done any better. It is a process folks. Everyone is tired of hearing how young we are, well its because WE ARE!!! What needs to happen? Fire CBJ? Do we really want to go down Knee Jerk Avenue again? Wait, I'm sorry firing a NC coach with a 75% winning percentage without a plan is not kneejerk, its freakin stupid. But, thats for another thread.

Ok. I know that the chances of beating Alabama are slim, but I think we "can" win the rest. I dont think we will win out, but I think we "can". Let me preach on it.

South Carolina - Tough to play them on the road, but it will probably be a 12:00 kickoff which will make it a little less rowdy in Columbia.

Mizzou - We may win, could get the hell beat out of us. Will we get the MIzzou that Ga played or the Mizzou that Fla played. Will the real Mizzou, please stand up.

Kentucky - After last night, let me be the first to welcome the big blue back to earth. It will be the way it always is, was, and will be. They will bring a ton of fans here, plan victory parties, and leave upset to the chant of "same ole Wildcats, same ole Wildcats".

Vanderbilt - Our home game in Nashville. Checkerboard their stadium. They've got an a** whoopin coming.

GO BIG ORANGE.

It was the same team. Mizzou didn't outplay Florida in that game, Florida gave it away, literally! If Mizzou plays the way they did against Florida we have a very good chance of winning that one. Only 120 yards of total offense??? Even our weak offense put up almost twice that many. I know it is a long shot but I believe we still get 6 wins and maybe 7. The only question mark I see is South Carolina.

Reactions: 1 person
I've been a fan of UT since the early 70's. I think I qualify for having seen it all, good and bad.

That being said, the current generation of instant gratification types are going to whine and complain. For the rest of us, we see it how it is, a multi year project.

That doesn't mean it hurts any less to see us lose, it means we've been there and done that already and understand how long it takes.

Best damn post of the day, possibly the week!

:good!:

GBO!!!!

That's a false statement. Jones may yet turn things around and win championships at UT but there have been several coaches recently take over similar situations and succeed quickly... UT just played one of them.

The game had passed Fulmer by. He and his poor recruiting/player discipline is what started this whole mess. Recruits weren't listening anymore and especially OL's.

If you look back... Dooley's OL recruiting was at least as good as Fulmer's last 3 years. And just to be sure you know... that's not a compliment.

Jones gets this year and next. If he has another losing season this year then he will be and will deserve to be on a hot seat needing something GOOD to save himself in '15.

This year so far is not going any better than last year. Last year they had neither a good D nor a good O. This year the D is playing well. Next year you basically have the same OL's to choose from... and a new QB. How much better do you really expect it to be?

sorry to bust your bubble, but their is no other coach in a America who has taken a job in worst position as UT was! lol probably went a little over board but fooley shouldn't even be coaching a pee wee football team let alone the greatest team in SEC FOOTBALL!!

p.s. i expect to be ALOT BETTER!! oline will have more time under their belt and a better QB it's not all the oline fault worley just not a sec caliber QB

Last edited:
I do not mind recruiting rankings as long as you factor in attrition so we get an apples to apples comparison and strength of schedule so we can see where both coaches were in year two.

To what end?

Even if I pull all the numbers to show that Butch inherited more 4 star rated players than Hugh Freeze did and show you that Hugh Freeze won more games against ranked opponents, that he won more games against unranked conference opponents, and any other legitimate measure of similar competition, what will it matter?

I mean, you could just as easily pull the numbers up yourself. They are no great mystery. They are on the internet for all to see. But why give up another 10 minutes of my time to assemble them? We both know you and your ilk will never concede a point, but always look for the next excuse and obfuscation.

To what end?

Even if I pull all the numbers to show that Butch inherited more 4 star rated players than Hugh Freeze did and show you that Hugh Freeze won more games against ranked opponents, that he won more games against unranked conference opponents, and any other legitimate measure of similar competition, what will it matter?

I mean, you could just as easily pull the numbers up yourself. They are no great mystery. They are on the internet for all to see. But why give up another 10 minutes of my time to assemble them? We both know you and your ilk will never concede a point, but always look for the next excuse and obfuscation.

You cannot do what I requested because Jones has not completed year 2 and that is what I was baiting you into and instead of admitting it you once again avoid the fact that you and half the posters on here are assuming we will not have a winning season. So how about instead of coming on here whining after every loss how about focussing on that after this weekend we have a chance to win every remaing game on our schedule and then at the end of the season lets compare Jones year 2 to other coaches year 2.

Have a good day :hi:!!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back