No coach .....

I've been a fan of UT since the early 70's. I think I qualify for having seen it all, good and bad.

That being said, the current generation of instant gratification types are going to whine and complain. For the rest of us, we see it how it is, a multi year project.

That doesn't mean it hurts any less to see us lose, it means we've been there and done that already and understand how long it takes.

I have been a fan since the early 80's and I agree most of these crybabies on here would not have made it through those years. They would have jumped ship a long time ago.

I have been a fan since the early 80's and I agree most of these crybabies on here would not have made it through those years. They would have jumped ship a long time ago.

Truth.
Pooch punt on third down against bama would have had them peeing their panties.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
it is a process we all understand but it's time to turn that process in to at least a 7-6 season with one win over a ranked team.

Well we already have a win over a ranked team. Also this is our coach's second year, can people stop with the unrealistic expectations?

Reactions: 1 person
Truth.
Pooch punt on third down against bama would have had the peeing their panties.

You have been around that long to then. I say the hard times only make the good times that much better.

I can remember in the early 90's thinking this is finally the year we beat Bama and a guy named David Palmer had a career day against us and spoiled waht I thought was a sure victory.

CBJ is in year one with his first full recruiting class. Freeze is in year three and Mullen is in year six.

Those two (Freeze and Mullen) were still putting up respectable seasons (7 or more wins) even while they were still "building", hence there was tangible proof that their "process" was at least heading in the right direction, because they still found ways to win games. Freeze is in year three, but his team has won 7 or more games in all three of those seasons. Dan Mullen? 7 or more wins in five out of six seasons...the only season in which his team won less than 7 games was his first one. So really, those two are a combined eight of nine. Butch Jones is en-route to zero in two.

Reactions: 2 people
Those two (Freeze and Mullen) were still putting up respectable seasons (7 or more wins) even while they were still "building", hence there was tangible proof that their "process" was at least heading in the right direction, because they still found ways to win games. Freeze is in year three, but his team has won 7 or more games in all three of those seasons. Dan Mullen? 7 or more wins in five out of six seasons...the only season in which his team won less than 7 games was his first one. So really, those two are a combined eight of nine. Butch Jones is en-route to zero in two.

The problem is both of them were handed cupcake OOC schedules plug Oregon or Oklahoma into either of their schedules in year one or two and that would have been a sure loss for bothe.

Ole Miss is Ole Miss this year. Bama game won't be much better. Youth and experience was going to show it's face there no matter what.

Losing to possibly the worst UF team in a generation, at home, is what gives me pause about this coaching staff.

Reactions: 8 people
You have been around that long to then. I say the hard times only make the good times that much better.

I can remember in the early 90's thinking this is finally the year we beat Bama and a guy named David Palmer had a career day against us and spoiled waht I thought was a sure victory.
I agree.
The hard times make the good times sweeter.
I recall sitting on my couch the night we won it all, telling myself, "Savor this.... You may never have this moment ever again."
And I did.
Dammit, I did!

Reactions: 5 people
Ole Miss is Ole Miss this year. Bama game won't be much better. Youth and experience was going to show it's face there no matter what.

Losing to possibly the worst UF team in a generation, at home, is what gives me pause about this coaching staff.

Very understandable.

I know we are recruiting better, but I just hope Jones and his staff know what to actually do with all that talent.

Recruiting is one thing, but you cant just assume that he and his staff can coach them up to win the biggest SEC games. This was my big fear when we hired him.

I expected Jones to be the kind of coach that could do more with less. But up to this point he's doing no better than Dooley.

But but but... we have no o-line. Dooley screwed us... etc.

Like I said, good coaches do more with less. I expect more. Not NC, but well more than we are getting.

Reactions: 4 people
It is inconceivable to me to think that James Franklin inherited that much more at Vandy than Butch did here - I just do not believe that to be the case. Yet Franklin seemed to coach them up enough to beat Florida, Georgia and UT (for the second year in a row) last year and to go to two straight bowl games. How does that jibe with all this crap about Butch walking into such a terrible situation?

Is it inconceivable to think that Vandy shot an arrow and drew a bullseye where it landed. Think about things before spouting off. Vandy at the time was a top heavy team (juniors and seniors) - playing teams that when we played were healthy - but when Vandy played were crippled - think about it before posting stupid dribble.

Gruden didn't want the job, neither did Charlie Strong, or David Cutcliffe. Jones was fourth on the list.

It is inconceivable to me to think that James Franklin inherited that much more at Vandy than Butch did here - I just do not believe that to be the case. Yet Franklin seemed to coach them up enough to beat Florida, Georgia and UT (for the second year in a row) last year and to go to two straight bowl games. How does that jibe with all this crap about Butch walking into such a terrible situation?

the ONLY reason Franklin beat UT was because of Dooley and what he did to our program.

His tenure at Vandy directly coincided with the worst period of Tennessee football history.

Thats all you need to know about him.

The problem is both of them were handed cupcake OOC schedules plug Oregon or Oklahoma into either of their schedules in year one or two and that would have been a sure loss for bothe.

Both of them DID LOSE to their "big" OOC opponents in year one. Ole Miss lost to Texas, and MSU lost to both Georgia Tech AND Houston. To say that MSU was handed a cupcake OOC schedule in Mullen's first year is a joke. Georgia Tech won 11 game that year, Houston won 10. A loss is a loss...it doesn't make a difference if the loss came against Oregon, or if it came against Texas, Houston, or Georgia Tech.

Both did play ****ty OOC schedules in their second years (a bad Texas team for Ole Miss and a bad Houston team for MSU) with both being wins, but even if you were to replace those two wins with automatic losses, what do you get? MSU wins 8 games instead of 9, and Ole Miss wins 7 games instead of 8. Both seasons are still respectable, even if you take out the two weak OOC wins and replace them with auto-losses. Butch Jones on the other hand is on pace to win what, 5 games this season? 6 if they pull a huge upset? Even if you remove that Oklahoma loss and replace it with a win (to match Ole Miss and MSU in year two), you're still looking at a 6 win season, 7 at best if you want to speculate a miracle.

You're still behind what Mullen and Freeze did; regardless of the OOC games.

Reactions: 5 people
the ONLY reason Franklin beat UT was because of Dooley and what he did to our program.

His tenure at Vandy directly coincided with the worst period of Tennessee football history.

Thats all you need to know about him.

So how does that deflate the Georgia and Florida wins? Tennessee was one game on Franklin's schedule.

You guys can keep saying this until you are blue in the face. It won't make it any closer to true.

You don't have any proof to back it up, and you never will because other coaches have started with less talent and worse facilities and less support and they have done better. Anyone can plainly see that.

Butch Jones has yet to even improve on Dooley's worst record.

1976 Battle 6-5
1977 Majors 4-7
1978 Majors 5-5-1
1979 Majors 7-5
1980 Majors 5-6

Battle's worst record was 6-5. To quote Mick Jagger: We can't always get what we want.

We are deep in a hole. I believe Butch is the guy to lead us back. Hope we give him a legit chance to do so.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree.
The hard times make the good times sweeter.
I recall sitting on my couch the night we won it all, telling myself, "Savor this.... You may never have this moment ever again."
And I did.
Dammit, I did!

I said the same thing night and I still remember that feeling today and hope to some time in the future relive watching the Vols win it all again.

That's a false statement. Jones may yet turn things around and win championships at UT but there have been several coaches recently take over similar situations and succeed quickly... UT just played one of them.

The game had passed Fulmer by. He and his poor recruiting/player discipline is what started this whole mess. Recruits weren't listening anymore and especially OL's.

If you look back... Dooley's OL recruiting was at least as good as Fulmer's last 3 years. And just to be sure you know... that's not a compliment.

Jones gets this year and next. If he has another losing season this year then he will be and will deserve to be on a hot seat needing something GOOD to save himself in '15.

This year so far is not going any better than last year. Last year they had neither a good D nor a good O. This year the D is playing well. Next year you basically have the same OL's to choose from... and a new QB. How much better do you really expect it to be?

I don't personally expect us to be any better next year offensively. This "system" appears to be so complicated, players have to be RS JR's by the time they can understand and execute it. Note my sarcasm....

So how does that deflate the Georgia and Florida wins? Tennessee was one game on Franklin's schedule.

If we had Vandys schedule last year, we would have easily made a bowl game.

Compare Vandys schedules to ours. Vandy played UF when injuries had decimated their team and they were playing their back up QB. Georgia was also plaques by injuries. Let's not act like Vandy beat Georgia and UF when they were totally healthy.

Both of them DID LOSE to their "big" OOC opponents in year one. Ole Miss lost to Texas, and MSU lost to both Georgia Tech AND Houston. To say that MSU was handed a cupcake OOC schedule in Mullen's first year is a joke. Georgia Tech won 11 game that year, Houston won 10. A loss is a loss...it doesn't make a difference if the loss came against Oregon, or if it came against Texas, Houston, or Georgia Tech.

Both did play ****ty OOC schedules in their second years (a bad Texas team for Ole Miss and a bad Houston team for MSU) with both being wins, but even if you were to replace those two wins with automatic losses, what do you get? MSU wins 8 games instead of 9, and Ole Miss wins 7 games instead of 8. Both seasons are still respectable, even if you take out the two weak OOC wins and replace them with auto-losses. Butch Jones on the other hand is on pace to win what, 5 games this season? 6 if they pull a huge upset? Even if you remove that Oklahoma loss and replace it with a win (to match Ole Miss and MSU in year two), you're still looking at a 6 win season, 7 at best if you want to speculate a miracle.

You're still behind what Mullen and Freeze did; regardless of the OOC games.

I guess your are not smart enough to listen to the experts and all of them picked us to finish 6-6 so yes remove Oklahoma and replace with a weaker out of conference team and Jones would have a chance at 8 wins with a bowl game win in year two just like Freeze and Mullen but he can only play the hand he was dealt.

Also throw out Oklahoma and plug in a weaker out of conference team and maybe we would have been given the chance to play the 2's in the depth chart which builds depth for later in the season that we desperately need right now.

Listen OP. Of course it's a process.
Florida is in the process of firing their coach
UT fans came prepared and ready to win. UF came prepared and ready to lose. The only problem is that Jones couldn't find a way to manufacture a freakin TD against a team that is in the ditch. I mean in the ditch.

I didn't expect UT to win 8 games, but I expected a staff that could do more with less. And sorry, but there are coaches who would do better. You think Petrino or Freeze wouldnt be able to one TD against UF and Ole Miss. One.

VN Store

Back