'25 NJ OT Jaelyn Matthews

Like has been stated butch got rid of his strength and conditioning coach and Dooley didn’t recruit any offensive linemen. I’m not sure which is worse but both were pretty damn dumb
It wasn’t that he fired Lawson, it’s because he hired the players choice as the replacement. That was a fixable mistake but his whole approach lended to losing the team eventually. Dooley’s carried over imo and it wasn’t just the one off class. He had a bad relationship with high school coaches in our most important recruiting territories and that had to be slowly repaired by his successors.

It wasn’t that he fired Lawson, it’s because he hired the players choice as the replacement. That was a fixable mistake but his whole approach lended to losing the team eventually. Dooley’s carried over imo and it wasn’t just the one off class. He had a bad relationship with high school coaches in our most important recruiting territories and that had to be slowly repaired by his successors.
He alienated alumni, high school coaches. He also coddled a few players which quickly alienated a large portion of the team. Add in some odd yet hilarious fits as well such as “lock up the Fing Gatorade” and the shower discipline. I do think Dooley was a bright offense mind and he’s a smart guy. He cared about the program and wanted to succeed but he was just out of his depth here.

He alienated alumni, high school coaches. He also coddled a few players which quickly alienated a large portion of the team. Add in some odd yet hilarious fits as well such as “lock up the Fing Gatorade” and the shower discipline. I do think Dooley was a bright offense mind and he’s a smart guy. He cared about the program and wanted to succeed but he was just out of his depth here.
“Opportunity is Nowhere!” - Derek Dooley

Anybody remember that dufus-ism…

Agree. I will say Butch benefited mightily from the instate talent and legacy players he got in a couple of classes and Dobbs as well. It was a perfect storm for him to be successful and he still managed mediocrity
Butch at least had shown success at Cincinnati, so the hire made sense. Pruitt had been a highly successful DC at 3 powerhouses, so that hire made some sense.

Dooley was coming off a 5-7 season at La Tech. Just a bizarre hire.

Butch at least had shown success at Cincinnati, so the hire made sense. Pruitt had been a highly successful DC at 3 powerhouses, so that hire made some sense.

I feel like Dooley was hired for his “pedigree”. He had name recognition, a clean and respectful reputation, worked with Saban and got recruiter of the year once while there I believe, familiar with athletic administration (which was a mess for us). On paper he was a model professional, one who could bring stability, the exact opposite of Kiffin. Just turns out he wasn’t as good of a coach, manager, or recruiter as he needed to be.

They were looking at Dooley the year they hired Kiffin…. Dooley won 8 games and made or won their first ever bowl game.

I feel like Dooley was hired for his “pedigree”. He had name recognition, a clean and respectful reputation, worked with Saban and got recruiter of the year once while there I believe, familiar with athletic administration (which was a mess for us). On paper he was a model professional, one who could bring stability, the exact opposite of Kiffin. Just turns out he wasn’t as good of a coach, manager, or recruiter as he needed to be.
Dooley was hired bc Hamilton was scrambling for his survival. Part of it though that got it over the finish line was he was the opposite of Kiffin.

They were looking at Dooley the year they hired Kiffin…. Dooley won 8 games and made or won their first ever bowl game.
That’s not true. Hamilton got referred onto Dooley by Muschamp. Dooley wasn’t even a consideration before that. Patterson and Kiffin were your coaches that had a chance to be here when Kiffin was ultimately hired.

Edit: I forgot Troy Calhoun was also called both times. Kippy Brown after Kiffin departure was interviewed but a deal with Dooley was already in place when Kiffin left. I think Sumlin was also on the list but I can’t remember which time probably when Kiffin left.

Last edited:
That’s not true. Hamilton got referred onto Dooley by Muschamp. Dooley wasn’t even a consideration before that. Patterson and Kiffin were your coaches that had a chance to be here when Kiffin was ultimately hired.

Edit: I forgot Troy Calhoun was also called both times. Kippy Brown after Kiffin departure was interviewed but a deal with Dooley was already in place when Kiffin left. I think Sumlin was also on the list but I can’t remember which time probably when Kiffin left.
There was an article that came out after we hired Dooley that said we had him on the list the season before…. We were really interested in him bc of his pedigree, intelligence, and the way he had turned that program around…. We didn’t interview him bc we were trying for much bigger targets. Tennessee would have to be turned down by more than a few coaches before we got Dooley… He was already on our radar though.

There was an article that came out after we hired Dooley that said we had him on the list the season before…. We were really interested in him bc of his pedigree, intelligence, and the way he had turned that program around…. We didn’t interview him bc we were trying for much bigger targets. Tennessee would have to be turned down by more than a few coaches before we got Dooley… He was already on our radar though.
Believe whatever you want but Derek Dooley was never on any list before the year we hired him. I can promise you we didn’t fire Fulmer with any intention of bringing in Derek Dooley. You had the likes of Kiffin, Calhoun, Patterson and a couple others oj the short list. Dooley’s name came up in talking to Will Muschamp.

Edit: I’m going to expound on this post bc I don’t want to waste anyone else’s time in this kids thread. Derek Dooley wasn’t even known to Hamilton before talking to will Muschamp. We had reached out to several guys before Dooley was hired, names like Calhoun, Golden, early talks with Sumlin, etc; at least seven guys were asked about the job before Dooley got the offer. (Not sure we can count Patterson bc he never really considered us after Hamilton pissed him off in the previous search enough to where he wouldn’t even take our calls) Hamilton also said only Dooley was offered the job. When Kiffin was hired Dooley had only completed his second year as a head coach; he was relatively unknown. Muschamp recommended Dooley bc he had coached with him at LSU and Miami and became friends. Again believe whatever fluff piece you want to; also believe he was the only coach “offered” the job as well that year.

Last edited:
Believe whatever you want but Derek Dooley was never on any list before the year we hired him. I can promise you we didn’t fire Fulmer with any intention of bringing in Derek Dooley. You had the likes of Kiffin, Calhoun, Patterson and a couple others oj the short list. Dooley’s name came up in talking to Will Muschamp.
I didn’t say we considered hiring him…. we were impressed by him and noticed him that year…. It was what was reported at the time that we actually hired him.

A poster in the GQ asked if Matthews getting no mention in the war room means we’re slipping after the recent Miami visit. The response:

Nothing has changed for me… Still believe Tennessee is in a fantastic spot.
-AP
I know GQ stands for VQ but why do people call it GQ?

Reactions: LLcoolDave

VN Store

Back