Nick Saban says NIL made him ask, "Why are we doing this" Ted Cruz YouTube

Please baby Jesus, do NOT let the government anywhere near college football 🙏...

NEVER underestimate government's ability to totally ef up whatever it touches...
He aint a baby anymore ftr. Government for the people by the people....Saban's wife hit the nail on the head as to why he was in the industry and she supported it. But when kids came over to,with parents, eat at their house all the conversation centered around was how much $$$ can I get. Light switch on for final straw and adios...off into the million dollar sunset..

Saban and Byrn are so disingenuous!!! Whining to congress under the guise of helping student athletes. They could care less about any athlete outside of Tuscaloosa. They just want things in place to benefit Bama and so they can maintain the stranglehold they had over players and the SEC. Remember this is the guy that wanted to ban the no huddle hurry up offense under the guise of player safety!!

Last edited:
College football is going to end up like triple A ( or minor league) baseball. With all the money that is to be made in this level of football there will be no need to be related to a university. Wealthy individuals or corporations will own the teams that are now staffed with college players. Players will all be paid and won’t have to attend class and spend time studying.

Nick Saban tells Congress what wrong with NIL. Says "who ever pays most money gets best players and has best chance to win" he talks about freedom of transfer and how NIL is effecting all sports even sports that doesn't earn money.
Will Congress fix NIL or make it worst?
Nick Saban said his wife said( players don't care what they had to offer them. They just cure How much money their going to get.)
Nick Saban and wife have dinners for players that's where his wife got to talk to players.
Side note Im liking all on comments in this thread
Thanks for your input on this thread

I think Saban has legitimate concerns about the state of CFB, but also the gripe that NIL money is now a priority for players is so stupid. As if $ wasn't a huge part of the equation for him when he chose Bama. Like what are we talking about here? You think if Bama were selling him on the job and just told him they were going to develop him as a coach he wouldn't be bringing up money? A lot of them are of modest means, and Saban was already a millionaire when he went to Bama. WTF. Of course they care about money.

Saban got out at the right time for him. I totally understand not wanting to navigate this new world as an old man who had the best run we've ever seen. But a lot of this is old man yelling at clouds stuff.

****'s in disarray right now, but this is the nature of change when it's this monumental. NIL + conference realignment hasn't been great...yet. I think we have to see how things look 10 years from now to really judge it. The death of the NCAA and the formation of one super-conference (60ish teams) for football are potential outcomes of all this, and I think that would be a good place to land. If I were Saban, I wouldn't want to deal with this ride.

Your comment is absurd. The players are full-time students. The coach is a private employee with many years of high-level experience. Big difference. The student-athletes are getting a free college education plus numerous other benefits--all worth a lot of money, probably close to $50K a year. How come we never hear the activists--and this BS about paying the players was started by black activists, mostly--talk about the value of a free college education? Because education never meant much too them. It's always about the free cash--and now this nonsense has infected everybody--including privileged basketball players at Dartmouth and swimmers. It's also influenced judges, who've bought into this ludicrous idea that the student-athletes are soooo put upon. NIL in recruiting is wrong, corrupt and should be outlawed--period. NIL for current student-athletes is a good thing, but keep it out of recruiting. Of course now that idiot schools have let the genie out of the bottle and the money-grubbers are all licking their jobs, it will be hard to put back in.
👍 Keep those boys working for free or reduced wages. They’s just don’t know how lucky they is🤬

She said, from their 18 million dollar Florida "second home." Vomit worthy hypocrisy. The Sabans want to be the only ones who only care about the money, esp the money they made off the backs of those kids. They're exactly why this mess happened.
I wish I could like this 100 times!

Your comment is absurd. The players are full-time students. The coach is a private employee with many years of high-level experience. Big difference. The student-athletes are getting a free college education plus numerous other benefits--all worth a lot of money, probably close to $50K a year. How come we never hear the activists--and this BS about paying the players was started by black activists, mostly--talk about the value of a free college education? Because education never meant much too them. It's always about the free cash--and now this nonsense has infected everybody--including privileged basketball players at Dartmouth and swimmers. It's also influenced judges, who've bought into this ludicrous idea that the student-athletes are soooo put upon. NIL in recruiting is wrong, corrupt and should be outlawed--period. NIL for current student-athletes is a good thing, but keep it out of recruiting. Of course now that idiot schools have let the genie out of the bottle and the money-grubbers are all licking their jobs, it will be hard to put back in.
Lol shut up, quit riding sabans chode

Saban is just mad because Dodge Chargers and 10,000 bucks won't buy five stars any more.

He quit because the playing field was leveling. Not because of some self righteous caring about the game or his players.
Who knows what's in a man's heart?

List the games any college coach has won with inferior talent. How many games has Kirby, or Urban, or Bobby Bowden, or Woody Hayes, or Bear Bryant won with inferior talent? Did they all run teams out there who were consistently less talented than the opponents they played?

In college, the good coaches almost always have superior talent on the field. That's the entire point. It's why the sport is so obsessive about recruiting.
TENNESSEE Beat bama in 2022 with Inferior talent. Every game Mike Leach won vs his Conference Opposition (Big 12 and SEC) was with Inferior Talent. Most of Auburn's wins vs bama have been with Inferior Talent. La Monroe beat bama with Inferior Talent. Boise consistently beat the Big Boys with Inferior talent. At Bama, Nick Saban beat ------------------- with inferior talent. THAT is my point.

TENNESSEE Beat bama in 2022 with Inferior talent. Every game Mike Leach won vs his Conference Opposition (Big 12 and SEC) was with Inferior Talent. Most of Auburn's wins vs bama have been with Inferior Talent. La Monroe beat bama with Inferior Talent. Boise consistently beat the Big Boys with Inferior talent. At Bama, Nick Saban beat ------------------- with inferior talent. THAT is my point.
Greatest recruiter in history, because he was the greatest cheater in history. Kirby would have had the chance to surpass him but I think NIL will prevent that.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
this BS about paying the players was started by black activists, mostly--talk about the value of a free college education? Because education never meant much too them.

You kill an otherwise pretty solid post with some valid thoughts right here.

The problem is and always has been the greed of the NCAA, conferences, and schools themselves - the idea of 'student-athletes' and the 'great value' of the free education as remuneration for players went out the window when the Monopoly money started pouring in from equipment companies, networks and media in the '90's and '00's. That was the time to address the issue of NIL and get ahead of this mess, but instead the powers that be raked it in and hoped no one would notice. Blaming players for this is the easy way out and unfortunately works with too many fans.

Count me as one that wants Congress nowhere near this issue. Those parasites live for issues like this, easy ones that play to voters in their states and allow them to avoid the myriad real problems plaguing the country that are the reason we ostensibly send them to DC in the first place. Government has never touched a single thing that it didn't f***k up, let's not add college sports to that never ending list.

Reactions: butchna
You are proving my point. Your are of course correct that most of Auburn's wins against Alabama have been with lesser talent. They've also gone 4-12 against Alabama since 2008. That's because over the last 15 years, they've always had lesser talent. If you want to get real particular, I'd argue that Saban beat Tennessee in 2007 with lesser talent, beat UGA in 2008 with lesser talent, and beat UF in 2009 with lesser talent.

Of course there are one off games, or coaches with losing records (like Mike Leach in SEC play), or series where one team usually has more talent than the other (like the Iron Bowl) where the less talented team wins. My point isn't that the less talented team never wins. My point is that the great coaches don't typically win games with the lesser talented team because they hardly ever have the less talented team. That's the entire point.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpookyAction
Pretty much about Power and control as that is the short of the long of it.
Anything Tennessee wants Saban is opposite.
Saban is the "fly in the slaw" and the fact that he is part of the NCAA's pitch to Congress is not good for College football in the NIL era.
NCAA's only hope is to get Congress into the arena and with nay sayers supporting Federal laws of the land vs on a state by state basis.
The SEC and B10 need to move on from the NCAA with an organization that will streamline the rules and enforce them equally. Call it whatever you want "Farm League" "Mini NFL" two divisions 16-20 teams each.

Rofl....yes, when I think of someone I want to fix something and not make it 1000 worse, fat Wolverine is the one that comes to mind.

Are most 18 year old boys as mature as most 26 year old young men?

No. Prefrontal cortex development (reasoning, planning, judgment, and impulse control) lags 3-4 years behind that of females, and doesn't fully develop in males until their late 20s or early 30s.

Do we have other laws which recognize that fact of life, and thus protect them until they are older and more capable of making better decisions and controlling impulses?

Yes.

Do tens of thousands of dollars open up more temptations than just a beer keg or grass?
Do we send those same 18year olds and their underveloped prefrontal cortex's off to war?

he said two NFL people said the college players aren't being developed like they were before NIL more entitlement is what some NFL said NIL players that the NFL are getting now.
Nick Saban said (they need to be a balance between helping players and having level Competition balance)
There is another guy their talking to Congress about NIL
That is extremely rich coming from him.
I respect his ability to beg, plead, whine, and speak up for the cause of competitive balance while being feted as the GOAT because he stockpiled blue chip talent with unrecorded payments and benefits for players and their family members.
Everyone did it to an extent, but Bama's machine has never been out of sight or in the shadows like most.

Lots of income tax fraud committed during his tenure.

VN Store

Back