Nick Saban Saying Strange Things - Retirement Rumors

I don't see how this in any way means Saban is considering retirement.

On the bowl game discussion though, bowl eligibility should be for teams with 7 or more wins. Select 6 win teams might be selected depending on how strong a team they are if there are spots still leftover. I think that would cut quite a number of extraneous bowl games and thus add interest to them.

Saban's line of thinking is among those in his generation. My Dad has always said the bowls are good for college football because teams get rewarded, usually go to a fun destination, and half the teams end on a positive note. It's all they grew up with. I can't disagree, and I am a bit of a traditionalist. However, in order to crown a champion, a playoff is the way to go, and both can co-exist. I actually believe the playoff should be expanded.

The statement you referenced. Google doesn't seem to believe it was ever said.

I heard the interview with Bill Clark on JOX Radio in B'ham. The interview took place before the decision was announced and Clark said he had called Saban and Saban told him he would do what he could in his power to talk with Bryant and the BOT to help UAB. Clark said Saban assured him that the UAB program was good for the state of AL and they both agreed UAB was not a threat to UA. Clark believes Saban did all he could, I don't know if he did nor do I care.

Last edited:
I don't see how this in any way means Saban is considering retirement.

On the bowl game discussion though, bowl eligibility should be for teams with 7 or more wins. Select 6 win teams might be selected depending on how strong a team they are if there are spots still leftover. I think that would cut quite a number of extraneous bowl games and thus add interest to them.

Problem is, I believe due to the TV contracts, pretty much all the bowls make money and the ratings are overall pretty decent for them all. Many of them have a ton of empty seats but that's probably the least of their cares.

I cannot tell you how happy I am that Bama has gotten to the point where folks don't consider the SEC Championship Game to be a "big game".

Probably won't be a big game when Auburn represents the West next year either. Bama football will crumble with Kiffin on staff. Just a matter of time.

Reactions: 2 people
Probably won't be a big game when Auburn represents the West next year either. Bama football will crumble with Kiffin on staff. Just a matter of time.

Maybe you're right. We probably should have hired a pencil pusher, who was kept away from any involvement with football for the past two years, as our OC.

Maybe you're right. We probably should have hired a pencil pusher, who was kept away from any involvement with football for the past two years, as our OC.

Kiffin "pushed his pencil" around quite a lot in Knoxville...what's his car leasing agreement like in Bama?

Reactions: 3 people
finally watched a little of the Alabama spring game today -- not only is Saban saying strange things - it looks like he is dressing strange too -- a salmon colored tie and sport coat for the spring game ? Ok

Last I checked Alabama won the SEC championship last year. They must have won at least 3-4 big games to do that no? Big games are always the ones you lose.

Then got smacked by OSU which was really supposed to be OSU's build up year for next year. Yea, he is busy losing the big ones. He will not win another NC and that is what he is getting paid to do.

Then got smacked by OSU which was really supposed to be OSU's build up year for next year. Yea, he is busy losing the big ones. He will not win another NC and that is what he is getting paid to do.

Has UT been paying their coaches to do something other than win national championships?

We've been paying them to leave. I'd say keep playing dumb but realize you aren't playing.

I've been screwing with you because you aren't actually capable of defending your first post in this thread. So I keep prodding to see how committed you are to your failure. Turns out you're very freaking committed.

Reactions: 5 people

Yup! Bama has no idea what they did when they hired Kiffin. Every program that's involved Kiffin in the last half a dozen years has regretted it.

Kiffin is a cancer to football programs. If the guy doesn't destroy the program on the field he'll do it in some other fashion, most likely from the inside out. Red flag example: The guy hadn't even been at Alabama for a year and was already making headlines for mocking Saban. It's not a matter of if but when with Kiffin.

Yup! Bama has no idea what they did when they hired Kiffin. Every program that's involved Kiffin in the last half a dozen years has regretted it.

Kiffin is a cancer to football programs. If the guy doesn't destroy the program on the field he'll do it in some other fashion, most likely from the inside out. Red flag example: The guy hadn't even been at Alabama for a year and was already making headlines for mocking Saban. It's not a matter of if but when with Kilofin.

Kiffin took a 5th year Senior that previously had bounced back and forth between running back and QB to the SEC championship. Oregon had a heisman winning QB and didn't fair to well against OSU either. Think what you will about Kiffin and I get it but the fact is the guy can flat out coach offenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Kiffin took a 5th year Senior that previously had bouced back and forth from running back to QB to the SEC championship. Oregon had a heisman winning QB and didn't fair to well against OSU either. Think what you will about Kiffin and I get it but the fact is the guy can flat out coach offenses.

People are still mad at the guy, they let the hate cloud their judgment.

Kiffin took a 5th year Senior that previously had bounced back and forth between running back and QB to the SEC championship. Oregon had a heisman winning QB and didn't fair to well against OSU either. Think what you will about Kiffin and I get it but the fact is the guy can flat out coach offenses.

At Tennesse, he also had two walk ons playing on the offensive line and made a bowl game while playing an SEC schedule, with a quarterback who had never accomplished anything. I guess Tennessee fans don't appreciate his lone year being the most successful season in eight years.

People are still mad at the guy, they let the hate cloud their judgment.

My comments are not based in hate they are based in the history of what has happened to programs that employed Kiffin and Kiffin's shenanigans on and off the field.

At Tennesse, he also had two walk ons playing on the offensive line and made a bowl game while playing an SEC schedule, with a quarterback who had never accomplished anything. I guess Tennessee fans don't appreciate his lone year being the most successful season in eight years.

They didnt appreciate a NC winning coach that averaged 9+ wins per season, while churning out NFL players - so what does one expect ?

I've been screwing with you because you aren't actually capable of defending your first post in this thread. So I keep prodding to see how committed you are to your failure. Turns out you're very freaking committed.

Says the guy that went straight to the "rules" defense.

VN Store

Back