Nick Saban Saying Strange Things - Retirement Rumors

A change that needs to be made is to let all D1 teams regardless of being eligible or accepting a bowl invitation have the same pre-bowl practice time.

A change that needs to be made is to let all D1 teams regardless of being eligible or accepting a bowl invitation have the same pre-bowl practice time.

I strongly disagree with that. Those extra practice sessions should be a part of the reward for getting to bowl eligibility.

If the practices were guaranteed, you'd see some programs decline bowl invites because they don't want to spend the money when they can hold the practices for free.

Reactions: 2 people
I strongly disagree with that. Those extra practice sessions should be a part of the reward for getting to bowl eligibility.

If the practices were guaranteed, you'd see some programs decline bowl invites because they don't want to spend the money when they can hold the practices for free.

Not such a bad thing IMO........we have entirely too many bowls

Bowl games are diminished by the sheer number of them being played and still they are adding yet 3 more this year. When 84 out of 128 teams get to go to a bowl game, it's just another game at that point and there isn't much special about it...except not sucking bad enough to get left out.

Yep. There should never be a bowl game where a 6-6 team is playing.

Reactions: 2 people
While he's never said this outright, Saban seems to be of the belief that the small conferences should fend for themselves. On numerous occasions, Saban has said that he wants the Power 5 conferences to just play each other, and not schedule any small schools out of conference. I don't agree with that at all, because it would spell doom for a bunch of programs.

That belief seems at least somewhat contradictory to his statement about the bowls, considering a lot of those "lowered interest" bowls have those smaller conference teams in them.

Unless of course he clarifies that he only means bowls with Power 5 conference teams.

That belief seems at least somewhat contradictory to his statement about the bowls, considering a lot of those "lowered interest" bowls have those smaller conference teams in them.

Unless of course he clarifies that he only means bowls with Power 5 conference teams.

While I can't speak for him, I feel confident in saying that he wasn't referring to the New Mexico or Magnolia Bowls. But no one has ever been interested in them, so there is no room for a decline.

Yes they would, really why do we need some of these 6-6 directional schools losing money to go play another 6-6 nobody in a game just to have extra practice time?

Yes they would, really why do we need some of these 6-6 directional schools losing money to go play another 6-6 nobody in a game just to have extra practice time?

It isn't the small schools that will decline. They have reason to view bowl games as promotional opportunities.

It's big schools that wouldn't go. A 5-7 SEC team isn't going to want to spend money going to Shreveport if they can hold two weeks worth of practices without spending a dime.

It isn't the small schools that will decline. They have reason to view bowl games as promotional opportunities.

It's big schools that wouldn't go. A 5-7 SEC team isn't going to want to spend money going to Shreveport if they can hold two weeks worth of practices without spending a dime.

A 5-7 team shouldn't be going anywhere.

What they need to do is make bowl eligible teams 7 or 8 wins instead of 6

You realize we wouldn't have gone to a bowl game if this rule were in place. That was a very much needed event to help team building and gave us crucial practices.

While he's never said this outright, Saban seems to be of the belief that the small conferences should fend for themselves. On numerous occasions, Saban has said that he wants the Power 5 conferences to just play each other, and not schedule any small schools out of conference. I don't agree with that at all, because it would spell doom for a bunch of programs.

So when he told Bill Clark he'd do what he could to help UAB he likely did nothing?

Reactions: 1 person
You're so aggressive while agreeing with me. You're right: nothing other than a national championship game, or playoff, is a big game for Alabama. I'm right there with you, pal.

I believe this is Coach Sabans biggest concern because if Alabama has an off year and they only go to a bowl game and not in the playoffs,the crimson faithful will consider it a busted year and the talk that the coach is losing his game will begin.

You're so aggressive while agreeing with me. You're right: nothing other than a national championship game, or playoff, is a big game for Alabama. I'm right there with you, pal.

Don't really care where you're at. Satan will never win another NC and that is what he is getting paid to do.

VN Store

Back