Neyland I (Formerly known as Gruden Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, is pruitt coming to knoxville pronto to start working, or is he going to coach the playoff game? if he's the guy, he needs to have his tail at work, in light of the early signing day.

thoughts?
info?

thanks.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME??!!

Twitter

If this happens I hope Tee brings a team here and beats Tennessee... it will be the first time in my life I have ever cheered against the Vols but I will if this happens

I will actually not be against a vol but cheering for a real Vol

Real Bruce Feldman tweet.

One of the coaches I'm told who is expected to be in the mix for an OC job at #Tennessee with Jeremy Pruitt is #USC passing game coordinator/QB coach Tyson Helton.

So we hire a USC coach and it’s not our national championship QB?? Just when I was ready to give the guy a chance.

If y'all want a laugh, and to maybe bring up your spirits a bit this morning about the coaching search (if you're still not sold.) Go check out Bama's VN equivalent:

Tennessee has officially offered Pruitt (Update: Hired)

Edit: I see there are no new ideas under the sun.

I didn't go far in there. But this was my favorite one...

Personally, I think Fulmer knows that their mess isn't reparable within 3-4 years and he's looking for a scapegoat. I also think that whoever takes the job will have zero control over the team. Fulmer will pick his OC, a booster will pick his DC, donors will pick the position coaches, and alumni will call the plays. But guess who gets fired when they go 5-7 in his third year?

Even a damn bammer can understand how f'd up it is here.

If y'all want a laugh, and to maybe bring up your spirits a bit this morning about the coaching search (if you're still not sold.) Go check out Bama's VN equivalent:

Tennessee has officially offered Pruitt (Update: Hired)

Edit: I see there are no new ideas under the sun.

Hmmm, post from there.

Re: Tennessee has officially offered Pruitt
I'm happy for Pruitt. I wish him the best luck at Tennessee. I found it interesting that some players are happy to see him go... But, in the end.. we still have two games left and Pruitt and Saban will figure it out.

*goes outside to pull orange tri-star magnet off car*

Yea she's not kidding. When I moved there in 2006, it was February or so. So football is done and dusted. No orange, no T, nothing on my car except a Tennessee license plate (like the standard, green mountain one).

Guy comes up to me in the parking lot of my apartment... "Who you go fur?"

"Excuse me?"

(Edit, sorry: He also asked again "Who you go fur?" and I said "College basketball?" and he just stared at me before the following part. LOL)

"Who you go fur? Alabama or Auburn?"

(fearing I am about to be murdered and stuffed into my own trunk)

"Uh... I'm... more of a Tennessee fan..."

"I don't care about that. You's in Alabama and have to pick. Alabama or Auburn?"

"Yea.. I don't know..." (walks away slowly)

This legitimately happened. Different breed down there. Nothing to dilute the crazy. No other sport matters, there is no NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS franchise.

It's all Tide or Tigers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Haha, yeah, man, I get that--the part about our lads being led by a Bammer. I really do get that. But as long as he's wearing orange, doing things in an orange way, respecting General Neyland and Smokey and the Pride and the Hill and the Vol Navy and the T ... well, as long as he embraces us, I'll embrace him.

Plus, in the world of football loyalties, a person really can have two homes. I know that from personal experience, being deeply tied to both Tennessee and Army. Think about this: Tennessee will forever, no matter what else happens, forever be Jeremy Pruitt's first head coaching job. Sure, he may compete with Jimbo Fisher, Will Muschamp, Kirby Smart and others for the Bama vacancy if Saban ever finally retires, but that doesn't mean he'll leave.

Being here, this being his first head coaching stint, will forever change Jeremy as it has so many others--starting with Robert Neyland.

So I'm okay with that, as long as he embraces this university and its history and traditions and excellence, and restores us to our rightful place among the very best teams in the college game.

When all is said and done, it is one possible future that we could be farewelling long-time Tennessee hall of fame and multiple-championship coach Jeremy Pruitt in the year 2040 as he heads into retirement. That is one possible future, among many.

So, he's my guy now. As long as he is, he is.

Go Vols!

He's got over 4 million reasons to 'embrace' us, I guess, if he's hired. Once those reasons are gone, guess what.

The danger of blind patriotism is a real thing, at UT or anywhere else but.

I'm just pissed and don't get how people aren't as well so I'll bow out. You guys have a great day, I'm off to slay dragons.

Living here in Alabama, trust me. They do.

Good morning :)

Moved to Birmingham in '97 during our last stretch of wins versus the tide. I had two power-T plates broken off the front of my car. Not just taken off, broken off.

Was a bit testier around then.

Last few years, not so much. I hate pity from Bama fans... After this hire though, probably not so much pity - back to hate. I like it that way better. :thumbsup:

thank you, and to all you guys for the kind words and prayers. if we can get thru friday, we'll (me, wife, kids) start healing. just dread friday.

Stay strong. The funeral is hard man but it is also a memory. If you look at it that way, it seems a little better, a little more precious instead of tragic. At least to me it did. I know it's rough, just trying to help. You seem like a strong man; you're a preacher: you must be.

If you need anything, let me know preacher. I will help if I can. Love you brother.

Reactions: 1 person
Yea she's not kidding. When I moved there in 2006, it was February or so. So football is done and dusted. No orange, no T, nothing on my car except a Tennessee license plate (like the standard, green mountain one).

"Excuse me?"

(Edit, sorry: He also asked again "Who you go fur?" and I said "College basketball?" and he just stared at me before the following part. LOL)

"I don't care about that. You's in Alabama and have to pick. Alabama or Auburn?"

This legitimately happened. Different breed down there. Nothing to dilute the crazy. No other sport matters, there is no NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS franchise.

It's all Tide or Tigers.

Ha, I get that! My ringtone is Rocky Top. It goes off one day while we were out shopping. Someone said “What’s that song?”. I said Rocky Top....they said what??? I just turned around and walked off. It didn’t matter. I was just so glad to be back in the south.

Reactions: 4 people

"Excuse me?"

It's all Tide or Tigers.

lol I've been in some similar situations myself down there. And there's always only 1 right answer in their mind.

Venturing out in the other threads is not advised, I am a pretty tuff cookie and it's still scary. We've been Haslamed....AGAIN!!!
We just were led to believe we got rid of him, and we bought it and he did what he does. Now those of us that knew what was needed are like this.

giphy.gif

Moved to Birmingham in '97 during our last stretch of wins versus the tide. I had two power-T plates broken off the front of my car. Not just taken off, broken off.

Was a bit testier around then.

Last few years, not so much. I hate pity from Bama fans... After this hire though, probably not so much pity - back to hate. I like it that way better. :thumbsup:

That doesn’t surprise me. We’ve only been here since July. At a meet and greet with our new neighbors the inevitable question of our SEC alliances came up. When I said we’re Vols fans I got immediate pity and the bless your heart look.

I take a dance class once a week and my teacher walked with me out to my car which has a big orange power T on the back. She stopped our conversation and yelled “What is that thing? Get that off your car!”.

Ha, I get that! My ringtone is Rocky Top. It goes off one day while we were out shopping. Someone said “What’s that song?”. I said Rocky Top....they said what??? I just turned around and walked off. It didn’t matter. I was just so glad to be back in the south.

lol I've been in some similar situations myself down there. And there's always only 1 right answer in their mind.

Yea, I find it to be like Tennessee and Vandy a bit. If you cheer for Auburn/Vandy, you went there, or your parents/children went there. It's open game with Tennessee and Alabama, as Clay Travis called it the "85%" vs the "15%". (To be fair, I suppose I fall into the 85% at UT except my Mom and Uncle both went there, and it isn't because I didn't go get a college education somewhere...)

They're proven winners, not quite the same, obviously.

To use some BigOrangeFish lingo, they're Kobe Beef and we got 50% off manager special flank steak.

I remember just last year people saying that Kirby would and could not do what he’s doing right now with Georgia . Kirby Smart two years ago had just came from Bama with the same question marks as Pruitt and then was beaten by Butch Jones . I’m sure at that point nobody would guess that he would have Georgia playing for a national championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back