New OC???

Apparently Vandy isn't a cupcake anymore.

They are far better than they used to be. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not been paying attention and is in denial. In the last 5 years they have competed regularly with UGA, UF, and UT among other SEC opponents

Reactions: 1 person
Was that what I said?

Please don't tell me you are naïve enough to think that recruits, players, and some coaches don't read and see things posted in these places and that doesn't have some affect on programs.

None. You think Rock Gullickson was struggling with the decision to come here while looking at his pro/con list??

Pro: $375k, incredible facilities, SEC P5 team, etc, etc

Con: meanies on fan website

Didn't seem to deter him.

Reactions: 3 people
Debord had the "most productive offense in UT History" because 1/3 of our stats came against Tenn Tech, Mizzou, and UK.... Let us not get carried away with Debord being this offensive genius.... Dude sucked vs quality teams.

UT has the equivalent of those 4 teams scheduled every year. Your argument is terrible

Reactions: 2 people
I'm a Vol fan, and you're criticizing ME for defending our coaching staff, you hypocrite.

Throwing our coaches under the bus when they don't deserve it isn't being "dedicated" to the program; it's sabotage. I'm calling you out to stop you from destabilizing the program and hurting our recruiting.

Empirically speaking, plenty of teams with lukewarm fans have been successful. Look at Miami or USC during the early 2000s... their fans are as apathetic as it gets. More importantly, though, you're misframing the debate as one between passion and apathy. Passionate fans are a plus, but only to the extent that they're cheering FOR the program, not against it.

Fans booing our team as they leave for the locker room at halftime, or poisoning Twitter with anti-Butch crap during games or recruiting visits, ARE a problem. And some of those "fans" have actually been saying other fans should boycott games to accelerate Butch's firing, as if that would somehow help the program in the long term.

As with 90% of the criticism posted here on Volnation, that kind of irrational negativity affirmatively hurts our program. Calling out Negavols for their harm and disloyalty makes me a GOOD fan, not a bad one.

I can see through your response how the fans are and will always be the problem. But those same fans were very supportive of this coaching staff until this year and for a reason. We had 40,000 people show up two years in a row for bowl games in Florida.

A lot of us developed suspicions the previous year with 4th quarter dives against Oklahoma and Florida. But losing to Muschamp and Vandy with the talent we have is not the fan's fault. That is not irrational. That is factual.

What is irrational is criticizing fans who pay good money to support this program, and those who follow the program for their point of view. Regardless of whether you are a idolizer or a hater. The fans, regardless of their opinions, are not the problem. They have not called one play or played one down.

None. You think Rock Gullickson was struggling with the decision to come here while looking at his pro/con list??

Pro: $375k, incredible facilities, SEC P5 team, etc, etc

Con: meanies on fan website

Didn't seem to deter him.
Ok, you have me changing my mind...social media and message boards don't affect anything at the university in any way. :crazy::crazy::crazy: What was I thinking? Post away bashing players, coaches, administration and so on. It has zero to do with anything.

Ok, you have me changing my mind...social media and message boards don't affect anything at the university in any way. :crazy::crazy::crazy: What was I thinking? Post away bashing players, coaches, administration and so on. It has zero to do with anything.

Only to over sensitive fans does it matter

Most people have bigger nads

Debord had the "most productive offense in UT History" because 1/3 of our stats came against Tenn Tech, Mizzou, and UK.... Let us not get carried away with Debord being this offensive genius.... Dude sucked vs quality teams.

Exactly!!

Debord has actually called plays before. When has Larry Scott ever done that? I'll hang up and listen.....

Jones needs a splash hire. If Scott fails then CBJ is most certainly doomed.

Tennessee took a chance on promoting an OL coach somewhere around 1989. He'd never called plays either and ended up being a HOF coach.

The longer CBJ makes to make the OC announcement, the more time apathy has to set in. As time goes by fans will be more accepting of promoting someone vs a big name hire from outside.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back