New OC???

Look at all these experts already convinced that Larry Scott will be a failure. These are the same geniuses who still criticize DeBord after he oversaw one of the most productive offenses in UT history.

Here's a question for all of you: why would any "big name" coordinators agree to coach at a program with such irrationally critical fans?

Debord had the "most productive offense in UT History" because 1/3 of our stats came against Tenn Tech, Mizzou, and UK.... Let us not get carried away with Debord being this offensive genius.... Dude sucked vs quality teams.

Reactions: 6 people
Look at all these experts already convinced that Larry Scott will be a failure. These are the same geniuses who still criticize DeBord after he oversaw one of the most productive offenses in UT history.

Here's a question for all of you: why would any "big name" coordinators agree to coach at a program with such irrationally critical fans?

Every big program has irrationally critical fans. Glad you convinced yourself thats the reason noone would want to come here

Reactions: 3 people
So Larry Scott gets OC job. I'm fine with that. It's Butch's offense and if he is comfortable giving the OC job to Scott then I trust him. I know we all want a home run hire here, but Butch's offense works and with the AD debacle and job security in question no home run hire will likely come here, I'm sure that's why Helfrich wasn't hired.
That means Azzanni could be out, Mahoney is highly likely out already, Strip could be retiring to an administrative position, Martinez is likely out, and Thig might leave. That's 5 coaches we'd have to replace. Along with a 6th hire in a QB coach. That's a lot of turnover in one offseason when Butch's job could be in jeopardy next season. It shouldn't be though. Butch makes a few good hires and could really turn this ship around. Let Shoop hire his defensive guys (for the record I hope Thig stays he's a good coach but a great recruiter), bring on a good WR coach, a good Oline coach, a proven QB developer and let's roll.

Reactions: 2 people
Debord had the "most productive offense in UT History" because 1/3 of our stats came against Tenn Tech, Mizzou, and UK.... Let us not get carried away with Debord being this offensive genius.... Dude sucked vs quality teams.

You do realize we play Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and at least one cupcake nonconference opponent every year, don't you? And I'm surprised to learn that Texas A&M and Florida weren't quality defenses.

Reactions: 9 people
So if Butch is just going to do Coach Scott, why take so long to announce? He is not going to get a big bounce from this. If that's his plan just get it over with.

Because promoting Scott was plan D. Just like hiring Butch was plan D.

Reactions: 1 person

Nothing worse than a "Vol fan" criticizing Vol fans. Considering the dedication this fan base exhibits any coach should jump at the opportunity to come here. Name me one school that has a lukewarm fan base and I will guarantee you a mediocre team. Fans are not the problem. Lack of fans would be a problem.

Larry Scott isn't the failure in this equation.

Debord has actually called plays before. When has Larry Scott ever done that? I'll hang up and listen.....

Jones needs a splash hire. If Scott fails then CBJ is most certainly doomed.

Because according to the same clowns the fans, message boards, and social media have no affect on any of this stuff.

It doesn't help. It also hurts recruiting.

We have had the same type of fans since I started following the Vols in 1970. Recruiting has always been up and down regardless. May be some problems with social media but our fans are no different than those of any other school.

One of the most important considerations that affects recruiting is whether your program is on the rise or decline and the competency of your coaching staff. I bet if you did a trend analysis those would be the most important factors, not fans.

And if you are embarrassed about UT fans I hear Vandy has a lot of openings for fans.

You do realize we play Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and at least one cupcake nonconference opponent every year, don't you? And I'm surprised to learn that Texas A&M and Florida weren't quality defenses.

Again, we scored 24 points combined on Alabama in two years. We made South Carolina and Vandy bowl eligible. Vandy game we had 3 points in second half against Vandy.
We were a fumble recovered in the end zone away from losing Appalachian state. 13 regulation points against Appy !!
Don't let the stats fool you. We watched the games. The offense was inconsistent when best and flat out sucked on other days. Yes we scored a lot of FL and TAMU but both games offense was missing until halftime. We trailed against GA and VT too. So even on its best days, we struggled to be consistent against good teams.

Are you saying past teams didn't put up big numbers against the cupcakes on the schedule? Have any stats to back this up?

Nothing worse than a "Vol fan" criticizing Vol fans.

I'm a Vol fan, and you're criticizing ME for defending our coaching staff, you hypocrite.

Considering the dedication this fan base exhibits any coach should jump at the opportunity to come here.

Throwing our coaches under the bus when they don't deserve it isn't being "dedicated" to the program; it's sabotage. I'm calling you out to stop you from destabilizing the program and hurting our recruiting.

Name me one school that has a lukewarm fan base and I will guarantee you a mediocre team.

Empirically speaking, plenty of teams with lukewarm fans have been successful. Look at Miami or USC during the early 2000s... their fans are as apathetic as it gets. More importantly, though, you're misframing the debate as one between passion and apathy. Passionate fans are a plus, but only to the extent that they're cheering FOR the program, not against it.

Fans are not the problem. Lack of fans would be a problem.

Fans booing our team as they leave for the locker room at halftime, or poisoning Twitter with anti-Butch crap during games or recruiting visits, ARE a problem. And some of those "fans" have actually been saying other fans should boycott games to accelerate Butch's firing, as if that would somehow help the program in the long term.

As with 90% of the criticism posted here on Volnation, that kind of irrational negativity affirmatively hurts our program. Calling out Negavols for their harm and disloyalty makes me a GOOD fan, not a bad one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
If Jones understands that his job is on the line (which it is), he'd be a fool to hire someone that has no experience in the job he's hiring them for.

Larry Scott may be a great coordinator, but to put blind faith in that when you could be out of a job is not smart, right now. IMO, TIFWIW

Give me some names of coaches that would not come here because of the fan base.
Was that what I said?

Please don't tell me you are naïve enough to think that recruits, players, and some coaches don't read and see things posted in these places and that doesn't have some affect on programs.

VN Store

Back