NEVER schedule GA Tech

TN vs Tech

• Total voters
You do not face the triple in the sec. You most likely will never face it in a playoff ( the ACC and GA will take care of tech because they face it every year and know exactly how to contain/stop them ). If the athletic department scheduled this game while Paul Johnson was coach at tech, it may be regretting that decision in the near future. There is a difference between knowing what to do and still having to think about it to be sure, and knowing to the point that it comes natural and you can play fast. Those acc teams and ga have faced it enough that they know and play fast. We haven't.

This game in my mind is 50/50 for both teams, UT and CBJ with the most to lose. If we still had dobbs, I would be a UT lean, 60/40. We are gonna need plenty of offense to keep up with tech. Dobbs leading this offense would have given me the confidence that we wouldn't shoot ourselves in the foot, and put at least 35 on the board. We are gonna need 35 points to win this game imo. Idk if we can count on that with Dobbs gone.

Folks, if we escape with the W, be happy. Be very very Happy. I don't care if it takes a miracle catch or tech giving us the ball 6 times for no good reason for us to get the W. I'll take it any way I can get it against this offense and this team.

Are you in the group of our fans that think we should take Alabama off the schedule too?

Tennessee wins by 10. Which is like winning by 3 scores against a ball control offense. The defense will be up for the task. Shoop is a good coach with some good players to work with on that side of the ball.

Reactions: 2 people
Appy State- had to go to OT to win
Ohio- only won by 9
Lost to SC
Lost to Vandy

Georgia Tech is better than the first 2 and about equal to the last 2

All that with a team picked to win the east and darkhorse for the NC

Some vol fans need to wake up and realize the reality of our situation

Reactions: 1 person
But if you do schedule GA Tech, schedule them in your first game. At least we have time to prep.

But what is gained by prepping specifically for them? It does very little to prepare you for anybody else in the season. At least defensively, anyway.

Ohio- only won by 9
Lost to SC
Lost to Vandy

The YEAR that we're in? :)

Ohio- only won by 9
Lost to SC
Lost to Vandy

Be serious. Can't you tell from reading this forum that UT only gets better after graduating players, changing coaches, and adding untested freshman?

Ironically, every other team gets worse with the same circumstances.

But what is gained by prepping specifically for them? It does very little to prepare you for anybody else in the season. At least defensively, anyway.

You prepare for the team you're going to play. SPECIFICALLY the upcoming one on the schedule. They may do the same for Indiana State. :dunno:

Be serious. Can't you tell from reading this forum that UT only gets better after graduating players, changing coaches, and adding untested freshman?

Ironically, every other team gets worse with the same circumstances.

Who's the "untested freshman"?

But if you do schedule GA Tech, schedule them in your first game. At least we have time to prep.

This will help a little. Problem is that our version of their offense and their version is night and day. They will run it much faster and execute it much better.

Defense can either play back or attack and both can be very effective with the right personnel. If I'm shoop and cbj, I attack this offense. I man and zone blitz 80% of the time. I leave gaps unmanned and overload ( post snap. never give it away presnap ) the area I think the run is going. If we guess wrong, the run could go for 60. If we guess right we get a stop for no gain and or possibly a fumble due to attacking the play and messing up the timing. If we play back, guys have to get off blocks and safeties have to be disciplined due to the amount of miss direction tech employs. Lb's have to be disciplined cause tech will not only unleash miss direction, they will start running counters.

A 3rd option is to play cover 0 and take away all the gaps in the run game. CB's, lb's, and safties better be able to cover the pass 1 on 1 if we employ this strategy. IMO, I play aggressive and play cover 0 most of the game. Do not play back in a 3 deep shell with no blitzing. I don't think we have the discipline to not bite on miss direction and counters, and i don't think we can consistently get off blocks and contain the run.

BE AGGRESSIVE! so what if you give up big runs. So what if you give up two or three big TD runs. It's worth it for the amount of stops you get and potential TO's. If we play back, it will be a slow dreadful death. 400 plus rush yards and surrendering about 31 to 35 points.

Last edited:
I am worried about this game, too, for the same reasons as the OP. I expect it will be a tough game.

What nobody has mentioned and scares me more than losing the game is the cut blocking they do and the resulting higher injury potential for our defense. Just thinking about it gives me cold sweats thinking about how we ended up last year with all the injuries.

VN Store

Back