NEVER schedule GA Tech

TN vs Tech

• Total voters
Or we could limit our 4 and 5 star beasts minutes against your OL hatchets and do whatever Duke & UNC does to give you fits every year...they seem to win a lot of your meetings. :dunno:

Huh?

Paul Johnson is 5-4 Vs UNC and 7-2 Vs Duke.

So that's a 66% winning percent between those two teams. Wouldn't say they are winning "a lot" of the meetings.

We've lost Vs UNC and Duke more recently but more often than not the defense was the problem.

Over his career here Tech has averaged 34.1 PPG Vs Duke and 31.7 PPG Vs UNC.

Over the last 5 years he's averaged 32.6 Vs Duke and 38 Vs UNC.

Others here have covered it. But, a good DL is what gives us problems (as it does for all offenses right?) I also think being aggressive Vs us is a smart thing to do. Playing conservative isn't a good idea IMO.

From the GT side what worries me most about this game is the potential of you guys DL. Kungbo, McKenzie, Vickers, Tuttle, etc. That's a potentially great group and that's just a handful of them.

Tuttle is going to be a problem if healthy.

Others here have covered it. But, a good DL is what gives us problems (as it does for all offenses right?) I also think being aggressive Vs us is a smart thing to do. Playing conservative isn't a good idea IMO.

From the GT side what worries me most about this game is the potential of you guys DL. Kungbo, McKenzie, Vickers, Tuttle, etc. That's a potentially great group and that's just a handful of them.

Tuttle is going to be a problem if healthy.

The key against playing the option is fundamental football at its best. Can't get caught watching the ball!

That takes a lot of disclipine. Have to play assignment FB and flow to where the ball is.

We've not fared well against the option in the past. But, that's with different D coaches and staff.

The key against playing the option is fundamental football at its best. Can't get caught watching the ball!

That takes a lot of disclipine. Have to play assignment FB and flow to where the ball is.

We've not fared well against the option in the past. But, that's with different D coaches and staff.

Yeah, assignment football is crucial. Which is why a lot of teams practice for us without even using a football.

Personally the teams I've seen have the most success against us are school that attack and switch up coverages. Don't just sit in the same defense all day and adjust to what Coach Johnson is doing. Make him adjust to what you are doing.

Each game and especially year is different. Who knows what's going to happen. Only thing I do know is that I'm looking forward to it!

Tech has my respect and attention. I will just be glad when this game finally starts. Also anxious to see our Gridiron Vols HEALTHY and PREPARED. There are a lot of guys that have a chance to shine and make there own highlight reel. Yes we lost a lot of experience, leadership and talent. On the other hand it's time for new faces to take the reins and fill those gaps with there time to shine. I see a younger team this year eager to play with a chip on there shoulder every game. Let's take the "W"

You do not face the triple in the sec. You most likely will never face it in a playoff ( the ACC and GA will take care of tech because they face it every year and know exactly how to contain/stop them ). If the athletic department scheduled this game while Paul Johnson was coach at tech, it may be regretting that decision in the near future. There is a difference between knowing what to do and still having to think about it to be sure, and knowing to the point that it comes natural and you can play fast. Those acc teams and ga have faced it enough that they know and play fast. We haven't.

This game in my mind is 50/50 for both teams, UT and CBJ with the most to lose. If we still had dobbs, I would be a UT lean, 60/40. We are gonna need plenty of offense to keep up with tech. Dobbs leading this offense would have given me the confidence that we wouldn't shoot ourselves in the foot, and put at least 35 on the board. We are gonna need 35 points to win this game imo. Idk if we can count on that with Dobbs gone.

Folks, if we escape with the W, be happy. Be very very Happy. I don't care if it takes a miracle catch or tech giving us the ball 6 times for no good reason for us to get the W. I'll take it any way I can get it against this offense and this team.

There is a big diffrence between playing GA Tech with a week to prepare and playing them with an entire off season to prepare.. Vols win by 14+

I laugh at the praise GT gets. It's almost as if their program has hundreds of national championships and won the last 15 straight NC's.

4 ain't all bad for a nerd school. (edit: 3 more than Georgia, one of which is more recent)

And if you can point me to all this praise, I'd appreciate it. We're an afterthought in the Atlanta media, and we're picked to finish third in the coastal.

One thing I will say about this opener.. ..it's probably not going to be a good indicator of the rest of the season for either team, no matter who wins it. Too many variables.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
https://gtswarm.com/forums/georgia-tech-football.4/

Link if you want to engage with some tech fans about the game. They seem about as confident of winning as our fan base.

Here's another option if you'd like to discuss football with GT fans.

http://www.scout.com/college/georgia-tech/forums/2938-the-hive-sports-center

You'll need to sign in and request permission to post as on most message boards, but the webslave is normally good at approving opposing fans as long as they don't have a track record of acting like morons. Welcome to "The Hive" if you are so inclined.

Here's another option if you'd like to discuss football with GT fans.

http://www.scout.com/college/georgia-tech/forums/2938-the-hive-sports-center

You'll need to sign in and request permission to post as on most message boards, but the webslave is normally good at approving opposing fans as long as they don't have a track record of acting like morons. Welcome to "The Hive" if you are so inclined.

Nothing can make one go from indifferent to hating another teams fanbase faster than reading their message boards. They sound an awful lot like Vandy or Northwestern fans over there.

This is TENNESSEE, we aren't scared to play anybody. We have history with west coast powers, now the Big 12 powers, Notre Dame, and we live in the SEC the home church of big boy college football. We aren't skeered to play any program, hell they skeered of us!!!

VN Store

Back