Never happened until tonight

That was the lowest amount of points we had scored all season and still get the W. Any other time, we lose that game.

Again, hustle, defense, and pressure will win games when the shots aren't falling. And when the refs are stealing points from you 5 minutes later.
Absolutely we stunk on offense last night. A good team will eat our lunch!

Reactions: Clad in Big Orange
Vols will be a popular “upset” pick this week by the so called experts as the offense just isn’t looking good enough to continue. We all keep waiting for everything to click, but it just doesn’t appear it’s going to happen. You have to make shots to beat a good team. Last night was a mulligan.
I don’t think a 3 over 2 seed is much of an upset. But I really don’t see any mismatches that our next game presents. They’re a good team, but I think we match up with them well. It’s our game to win. Will we? That depends on what game we play, not what game they play.

I've never seen a game where they just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn shooting 3s. We have so many players that can shoot the 3s yet they were not going down--just unbelievable. Kudos for the guys hanging in there.
It's not like they were half way down and popped back out, most of them weren't close.

so this is wild UNC actually won the natty in 2017 when shooting 4-27 from 3. so hey it happens.

Reactions: Lankykong
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but we missed 5 shots at the rim within the first 3 minutes of the game. Rick did mention it post game but we simply CAN NOT continue to do that. It prevents us from knocking opponents back on their heels with a quick double digit lead which generally sets the tone for the rest of the game. And we also missed multiple “run outs” on layups and turned the ball back over. A couple times they were 5 pt swings. Need to eliminate that as well. Still…great win for the Vols!

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but we missed 5 shots at the rim within the first 3 minutes of the game. Rick did mention it post game but we simply CAN NOT continue to do that. It prevents us from knocking opponents back on their heels with a quick double digit lead which generally sets the tone for the rest of the game. And we also missed multiple “run outs” on layups and turned the ball back over. A couple times they were 5 pt swings. Need to eliminate that as well. Still…great win for the Vols!
This! Every time this happens we struggle offensively. I’ve noticed it and yesterday scared me to death after those “rim shots” did not go in! It’s kind of like Aidoo struggles from that time on even to catch the ball, and for some reason, Ziegler has a rough game too. I was glad we were able to pull this one out.

Tennessee is the first team to ever win an NCAA tournament game while shooting

Less than 15% from 3 (min. 20 3PA)

And

Less than 35% overall from the field

In tourney history, teams that shot this poorly were 0-66 before tonight

They are now 1-66

I wonder how many of our tournament losses were part of that 66? Too often TN has been bounced due to hideous shooting. Great D and clutch FT shooting in last couple of minutes saved the day against Texas.

Better not shoot poorly against Creighton.

Last edited:
That was the lowest amount of points we had scored all season and still get the W. Any other time, we lose that game.

Again, hustle, defense, and pressure will win games when the shots aren't falling. And when the refs are stealing points from you 5 minutes later.
Usually when you shoot that bad it bleeds over to free throws, but we finished the game 6 of 6 on free throws to close it out thankfully.

Reactions: Wireless1
I don’t think a 3 over 2 seed is much of an upset. But I really don’t see any mismatches that our next game presents. They’re a good team, but I think we match up with them well. It’s our game to win. Will we? That depends on what game we play, not what game they play.
If it becomes a 3 pt shooting contest, I don’t like our chances vs Creighton. Hopefully our athleticism will give them problems in the paint and on defense. But this team must shoot a LOT better or the season is over.

Yep, those shots just weren’t falling. The Vols looked nervous when they were shooting. Hopefully that’s out of their systems now.
That’s what I don’t understand. I watch other games and their guys hit most threes when they get an open, uncontested look. We shot brick after brick on those. They seem to have a confidence problem. It’s way too late to fix this, we just need to hit those first several shots to get in a groove instead of a funk.

If it becomes a 3 pt shooting contest, I don’t like our chances vs Creighton. Hopefully our athleticism will give them problems in the paint and on defense. But this team must shoot a LOT better or the season is over.
Creighton took 39 three point shots yesterday against a very loose match up zone by Oregon. I really thought Oregon laid way off Creighton’s shooters. I’m betting guarding the three point line will be a priority for us. It better be.

Last night’s game should be viewed as a positive. Don’t get me wrong scoring more points are always welcomed in a basketball game but UT dodged a huge bullet against Texas. UT made more plays down the stretch and our defense traveled once again. Survive and move on. Odds are, we don’t shoot that poorly again. I’ve watched Creighton a few times this year and they have much better shooters than Texas but don’t appear to be as athletic. Their big man is a load but we have faced better competition down low. We won’t be victorious with another bad shooting performance against Creighton. We just need to be able to shoot well enough. I like this matchup in our favor by 8-10 points.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Tennessee is the first team to ever win an NCAA tournament game while shooting

Less than 15% from 3 (min. 20 3PA)

And

Less than 35% overall from the field

In tourney history, teams that shot this poorly were 0-66 before tonight

They are now 1-66

Against the previous team the coach was at. This will never happen again in history and may be a sign. If Barnes wins it all this year it will be a footnote.

Stunk from the field, really stink from 3pt range but 15 of 18 in FT including 6 of 6 in the final 2 minutes in 1 and 1 situations, that’s how you win games

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
This! Every time this happens we struggle offensively. I’ve noticed it and yesterday scared me to death after those “rim shots” did not go in! It’s kind of like Aidoo struggles from that time on even to catch the ball, and for some reason, Ziegler has a rough game too. I was glad we were able to pull this one out.
For sure. I love Aidoo’s game when he’s in the flow and establishing himself physically. BUT…JA really needs to work on his hand strength. And I’m sure he is. Hopefully he’s hitting the leg machine to while he’s at it🤷‍♂️. I said some time ago Uros had the strongest hand among our big men last year and some didn’t quit understand that. CLEARLY…strong hands don’t equate to athleticism but when Uros did get his hand on the ball…no one was taking it from him. That’s what I would love to see from Jonas.

VN Store

Back