Never happened until tonight

They contested a good many but we missed several good looks and a few very open ones.
Exactly this! They played good D, but we had a lot of wide open 3's that we missed. They were "good shots", but couldn't knock them down.

I was more frustrated with some of our mid-range shots than the 3's. Felt like we took too many low-quality mid-range shots, rather than taking our time, and trying to get a better look. But most of those 3's were good looks --- we just couldn't hit a 3 to save our lives.

Good thing our guys were clutch on the FT line.

Also says a lot about Texas and their 9-10 conference record. The only team to get in the dance with an under .500 conference record and not win their conference tournament championship. Thank you NCAA selection committee for wanting to see the Barnes vs his old school rock fight. You got what you wanted and so did we!

Reactions: A-RodWiLks
We can't be blowing open dunk attempts either. Just throw it down. No need to cock arm back and try to windmill one. Even if you're "minorly" fouled. Those were some key dunk attempts that could've really hurt us. I was happily impressed at the clutch free throw shooting at the end....especially 1 and 1 situations where if u miss that 1st one it puts that game in danger...but man...those were some high pressure free throws.

We can't be blowing open dunk attempts either. Just throw it down. No need to cock arm back and try to windmill one. Even if you're "minorly" fouled. Those were some key dunk attempts that could've really hurt us. I was happily impressed at the clutch free throw shooting at the end....especially 1 and 1 situations where if u miss that 1st one it puts that game in danger...but man...those were some high pressure free throws.
We all know Awaka ain't tryna get cute around the rim...I do think it is mental with Jonas though as he clearly has the length and ability to dunk but he just refuses. I've never seen anything like it with someone that big since Uros.

Tennessee is the first team to ever win an NCAA tournament game while shooting

Less than 15% from 3 (min. 20 3PA)

And

Less than 35% overall from the field

In tourney history, teams that shot this poorly were 0-66 before tonight

They are now 1-66
Pointless stat. Every game is unique unto itself. we played like garbage offensively and Texas played an equally bad game. Case in point, Texas shot 1-14 from 3 in their game against Colorado State, or ~7.1%, and 40% from the field and won, but yet turned around and lost 2 days later. None of these “first team to win after (insert random qualifiers here)” have any significance and ESPN loves it because it gives a false sense of accomplishment and thus social engagement as a byproduct.

Pointless stat. Every game is unique unto itself. we played like garbage offensively and Texas played an equally bad game. Case in point, Texas shot 1-14 from 3 in their game against Colorado State, or ~7.1%, and 40% from the field and won, but yet turned around and lost 2 days later. None of these “first team to win after (insert random qualifiers here)” have any significance and ESPN loves it because it gives a false sense of accomplishment and thus social engagement as a byproduct.

Apparently they do it just to piss you off. Mission accomplished.

Vols will be a popular “upset” pick this week by the so called experts as the offense just isn’t looking good enough to continue. We all keep waiting for everything to click, but it just doesn’t appear it’s going to happen. You have to make shots to beat a good team. Last night was a mulligan.

It looked like a good team effort all around, and a refuse to lose mentality. Liked our big guys play under the basket

That was the lowest amount of points we had scored all season and still get the W. Any other time, we lose that game.

Again, hustle, defense, and pressure will win games when the shots aren't falling. And when the refs are stealing points from you 5 minutes later.
I don’t understand why they didn’t review and change possession when the ball hit the Texas kid in the head and went out of bounds. But they can review the goal tending and take points away. I think each team sheould have a challenge per half to use. The NCAA or whatever governing body needs to change this. Samford absolutely got hosed in their game the other night. No excuse for missed calls at this stage.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Also says a lot about Texas and their 9-10 conference record. The only team to get in the dance with an under .500 conference record and not win their conference tournament championship. Thank you NCAA selection committee for wanting to see the Barnes vs his old school rock fight. You got what you wanted and so did we!
Mississippi St. also had a sub .500 conference record and did not win the conference tourney (although they clobbered us). No doubt, the selection committee wanted the “Barnes vs. Texas narrative”.

Reactions: rocketskates
Mississippi St. also had a sub .500 conference record and did not win the conference tourney (although they clobbered us). No doubt, the selection committee wanted the “Barnes vs. Texas narrative”.
Sorry you are very correct sir…at least they didn’t give them a 7 seed..lol..thanks committee!

I’m not complaining about the refs but I’m complaining about the refs. Aidoo was literally mugged on several dunk attempts. The last one fouled Aidoo so hard he hurt himself and the refs had to stop play. And the announcers trying trying to question a call on a dunk when the wrist was clearly grabbed had me in disbelief-although they finally admitted the wrist may not be apart of the hand.

On the missed dunk attempt Aidoo was shoved slightly away from the rim, which was just enough to cause the miss. 99% of the time that’s a foul

Vols will be a popular “upset” pick this week by the so called experts as the offense just isn’t looking good enough to continue. We all keep waiting for everything to click, but it just doesn’t appear it’s going to happen. You have to make shots to beat a good team. Last night was a mulligan.
We made shots against St. Peter’s before the game was over

On the missed dunk attempt Aidoo was shoved slightly away from the rim, which was just enough to cause the miss. 99% of the time that’s a foul
My theory. Refs either hate the Vols for some real or imagined slight or nega-perception. Or, they are in somebody's pocket to screw us at the slightest opportunity. I believe it's the latter.

Reactions: HendoCinco

100%. Any time a committee can create a storyline they will. Worked out well for us though because had we played a high scoring team on an off night we likely would’ve lost.

This was a game that Tennessee and Barnes typically lose in the tournament. Great gutsy win by all involved. If we just shoot at an average clip, we win running away.

Mulligan my ass

VN Store

Back