Nearly 100 Underclassmen Declare For The Draft

He is not going to run a 4.3 forty yard dash.

Agree. More in the 4.45 range imo, which is still plenty fast and more than good enough to help his draft stock. Fact is, if Malone was a legit 4.3 guy and we all knew that, D4H would say he's gonna run sub 4.2 and set an all-time NFL combine record....that's his schtick,

Plenty fast enough. Too many people get caught up in the 40 time ran in shorts & a t-shirt.

Does anyone know or care what the current 40 times are the top receivers in the NFL? NO! Why? Because all that matters is they're fast enough.

Agree completely. 40 time isn't everything BUT if someone runs a 4.3 or less they are definitely going to turn heads. If they can't do much else then the heads will quickly turn the other way :p

I wonder if it has more to with the uncertainty at QB next season and how that will affect the number of touches he gets nex year.

I think the uncertainty is valid. Number of touches may be too, if there are lots of errant throws. He'll definitely be targeted though. JMHO if he were to come back next season he would be the go-to WR.

Actually he was a better run stopper this year than Barnett and was one of the best in the nation.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

I'm showing Garrett with 18 solo and 15 assisted tackles vs Barnett's 40/16.

I'm finding it difficult to reconcile your claim with those numbers.

Agree with all three. I saw a mock yesterday that had DB falling all the way to the 20s to my Atlanta Falcons. While this would please me to no end, there is no bleeping way he will last that long.

Prediction sure to go wrong:

Someone drafts Garrett 1-3, Barnett goes around 10, and in 5 years we look back at the draft and everyone says, "Garrett is ok, but Barnett was there for the taking!!! Fahr ______!!"

Garrett over Barnett.

Are you saying this is almost tantamount to Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning?:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

I'd like to see those numbers.

Here they are: https://www.profootballfocus.com/dr...as-the-skills-to-be-an-elite-nfl-pass-rusher/

After grading at a solid 79.4 against the run in 2015, Garrett did take a big step forward in 2016, finishing at 87.8 to rank third among the nation’s edge defenders.

I can't find the article right now but I do remember it saying this run support grade was higher than Barnett.

But regardless 3rd overall, whether its higher or lower than Barnett, is still a good position to be at for a guy you guys claim is weak in run support.

His plan from the start was to play 3 years and leave

I think that is the plan for all 5 star HS players. Some are ready after 3 years and some are not. Every years, a lot of them are either not drafter go in the last 2-3 rounds. I would guess, the odds are that about half of those entering the draft after their third year will make a roster or survive to sign a second contract. In the case of receivers, longevity often depends on the QB of the team which drafted them.

Hard to blame Malone. The fact is, it doesn't matter where he's currently projected if he will not have a shot to improve his stock next year. Losing Dobbs, along with uncertainty around OC and QB coach all make returning potentially more dangerous than declaring now and trying to impress at combine/pro days.

If Marquez North can run 4.48 at the combine then I'm pretty sure Malone can break 4.39. Malone played much faster than North.

Sorry Josh is a long strider. He would be much faster than peers at 100 yard pace than the initial burst the 40 brings. 4.42 to 4.7 is more likely. The following is what you will find.

According to a five-year NFL combine report, wide receivers and cornerbacks had the fastest average times at 4.55, followed by running backs at 4.59. The following average times were measured between 2008-2012 at the NFL combine.

Last edited:
Sorry Josh is a long strider. He would be much faster than peers at 100 yard pace than the initial burst the 40 brings. 4.42 to 4.7 is more likely. The following is what you will find.

According to a five-year NFL combine report, wide receivers and cornerbacks had the fastest average times at 4.55, followed by running backs at 4.59. The following average times were measured between 2008-2012 at the NFL combine.

4.59 will not outrun Floridas secondary. Like Malone did. With ease.

The dude was a 5 star for a reason.

D4H is Mr Hyperbole. But not in this case.

Josh Malone will absolutely run sub 4.4.

Probably 4.36 to 4.39 range.

He's a head scratcher as a player.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree he will move up draft boards. You only have to catch 1 team with a needs eye. But seriously 4.3? I see no way Josh is that fast.

We all see here in a couple of months.

Josh never really found himself in the open field with a running lane. Just a few times.

Georgia game his freshman year he had a reverse. And we got to see a glimpse if his burst.

He's a 4.37 type guy full tilt.

He's just as fast as him.

Not nearly as skilled.

But Malone would tie him or win in the 40 and beat him in the 100.

When Malone doesn't run a 4.3 come back to this post. It's absolutely comical you and D4H think this. I don't think either of you know how fast a 4.3 is. If you think Josh Malone can keep up with one of the fastest receivers in the NFL and apparently out run him he's 1st round worthy

Look I want Josh to run a 4 flat. I want the best for him I just think you're all setting yourselves up for disappointment. I know he's fast I'd say 4.4 to 4.5 range but a 4.3 is absolutely blazing

Reactions: 1 person
Odell beckham runs a 4.3. If y'all think Josh Malone can keep up with him you're delusional

Actually he's not if we're using combine times where OBJ's time is listed as 4.43.

Most people don't appreciate how fast a legit sub-4.4 is at the combine. IIRC only 2 WR managed that last year.

Actually he's not if we're using combine times where OBJ's time is listed as 4.43.

Most people don't appreciate how fast a legit sub-4.4 is at the combine. IIRC only 2 WR managed that last year.

He recently got clocked at a 4.3. Like before this season began I can find the article if I need to. He also was clocked at running 22MPH on a TD run. But yes at the combine he did a 4.43. I'm just saying, these guys saying Malone has 4.3 speed don't realize how fast that really is. If he was thay fast with his size he'd be an automatic first round pick

I think there are a lot of overrated WRs in this draft class and could see Malone jumping a lot of them throughout pre-draft evaluations. I think he could have had a chance to be a 1st/2nd round draft choice if he replicated his production next year, but there is a risk with that considering he would have had to acclimate to a new QB, new coordinator, and risk injury..he is getting hot and might as well cash in..In the end I think he goes 3/4th round, but no later than 5th.

I love Vol fans that talk about kids "cashing in." Truth is and one mo' time, the NFL is not guaranteed money outside the 1st round and some special second rounders. It's signing bonus money and chump change until a lot of these kids get released and that's it or one injury before actual season start, just alot of things keeping these kids from big money. State, federal, and in some cases city income taxes, agents fees and you can easily find yourself not cashing in, far from it.

When Malone doesn't run a 4.3 come back to this post. It's absolutely comical you and D4H think this. I don't think either of you know how fast a 4.3 is. If you think Josh Malone can keep up with one of the fastest receivers in the NFL and apparently out run him he's 1st round worthy

Your problem is you confuse 4.3 speed with high skill level. Malone is a burner in terms of speed. But being a dominant receiver is about more than just speed. It takes great route running, hands, agility, and ball skills. What makes OBJ special is he's got all those other attributes not just speed.

And FYI Odell ran 4.43 at the combine. Not 4.3.
NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Odell Beckham

He recently got clocked at a 4.3. Like before this season began I can find the article if I need to. He also was clocked at running 22MPH on a TD run. But yes at the combine he did a 4.43. I'm just saying, these guys saying Malone has 4.3 speed don't realize how fast that really is. If he was thay fast with his size he'd be an automatic first round pick

First of all, we don't know where Malone ultimately goes. Its possible his stock increases substantially if he runs a 4.3 at the combine as I expect.

But more importantly great speed isn't sufficient to being a great NFL receiver. I think you overvalue speed. There are many speedsters who struggle to be NFL receivers because they lack all the other attributes necessary to play receiver. And there are many successful receivers without great speed. Look no further than Antonio Brown. He ran 4.6 at the combine and is today one of the most explosive receivers in the NFL.

I think Malone kills at the combine but I don't think he'll be a great receiver in the NFL.

VN Store

Back