Nearly 100 Underclassmen Declare For The Draft

+1. 4.45-4.5 seems more likely which is still fast

Plenty fast enough. Too many people get caught up in the 40 time ran in shorts & a t-shirt.

Does anyone know or care what the current 40 times are the top receivers in the NFL? NO! Why? Because all that matters is they're fast enough.

Reactions: 1 person
Plenty fast enough. Too many people get caught up in the 40 time ran in shorts & a t-shirt.

Does anyone know or care what the current 40 times are the top receivers in the NFL? NO! Why? Because all that matters is they're fast enough.

How quick they make their cuts and the precision in route running is much more important than straight line speed for the NFL.

It's why a guy like Patterson can't do much more than return kicks for the Vikings or a guy like Treadwell can't get on the field.

I don't ever see wide receivers really taking off and developing in this offense.

The scheme seems pretty rudimentary. Especially after watching Clemson does with their guys on Monday night.

And Jones insists on rotating so many guys that they can't put up really eye popping numbers to get noticed.

Does Malone even get a combine invite? We had a safety last year who put up some impressive UT Pro day numbers and still didn't get drafted? If the draft projection doesn't predict you as round 4 or higher, then it seems like the better odds are for coming back and trying to improve your stock. IMHO, TIFWIW, AARP

I was wondering the same thing. There were around 35 WRs invited to the last NFL combine and I have not seen any listing so showing where JM ranks. He will most likely have to participate in a UT pro day where he can be evaluated by scouts face to face. My question is who would be the QB for such a practice?

Last edited:
Wonder if Malone is unhappy

Probably more of a business decision. With a new QB starting this fall look for Jones to be conservative throwing the ball downfield. How can he help his draft stock with even less opportunities this year over last.

Agree with all three. I saw a mock yesterday that had DB falling all the way to the 20s to my Atlanta Falcons. While this would please me to no end, there is no bleeping way he will last that long.

Prediction sure to go wrong:

Someone drafts Garrett 1-3, Barnett goes around 10, and in 5 years we look back at the draft and everyone says, "Garrett is ok, but Barnett was there for the taking!!! Fahr ______!!"

Agreed! The GM who takes Garrett over Barnett will be out of work when their 2nd contract negotiations folks around. Garrett never stopped the run at A&M no reason to think he will in the NFL.

How quick they make their cuts and the precision in route running is much more important than straight line speed for the NFL.

It's why a guy like Patterson can't do much more than return kicks for the Vikings or a guy like Treadwell can't get on the field.

I don't ever see wide receivers really taking off and developing in this offense.

The scheme seems pretty rudimentary. Especially after watching Clemson does with their guys on Monday night.

And Jones insists on rotating so many guys that they can't put up really eye popping numbers to get noticed.

Good points...all of them!

I've never understood our WR rotations, or over-rotation.

That's a record number...so 92...that's almost 3 full rounds and would represent 36 percent of the entire draft...if they all get drafted.

Last year there were over a 100, not sure what the final figure was but for some reason I remember reading conflicting reports - maybe 109-117 declared. Then in 2014 98 declared. So it's not a record but it's close.

malone is a great athlete, but i honestly believe his talents have not been showcased as of yet. Another year under a QB (be it QD or JG)that will definitely be throwing the ball more, I think could really increase his draft stock. That translates to more money.
I wish (somewhat selfishly) he would have stayed

malone is a great athlete, but i honestly believe his talents have not been showcased as of yet. Another year under a QB (be it QD or JG)that will definitely be throwing the ball more, I think could really increase his draft stock. That translates to more money.
I wish (somewhat selfishly) he would have stayed
fact is he's good enough to get drafted. that's good enough for most players...

when u guys gonnna realize D4H isnt a real person?

its just some robot Freak hired to rile the VN faithful - in the end he helps inflate the sites traffic, thus giving Freak more money

I'm onto you Freak

Reactions: 2 people
I believe there were 107 last year. Still time to top that number - this statement not accurate

Found an article that said 96 was number. I had 106 in my spreadsheet which was a number I picked up over a year ago. Have that many names and now I will need to research to see which ones ended up not going to draft.

looked at bottom of link. 11 players had graduated and even though they had another year of eligibility they went out to the draft. that is where I got my number

List of underclassmen granted eligibility for 2016 NFL Draft - NFL.com
My Lord, do you do this for a living??
If so, good for you. If not, you have my admiration for your dedication to the sport.

What the writer isn't considering is this:

What are the odds that with a new QB, new #1 RB, and new OC that Malone's numbers improve next year?

He may not be NFL ready but it's hard for me to call it a mistake for him to declare. I'd say he's a steal in the 5th-7th round.

I wonder if maybe this hasn't been looked at very closely to help him make his decision. Surely some thought other than "I'am gonna go" plays into this choice.

I wish the NCAA would adopt a rule that players declaring early but who don't sign with an agent and go undrafted could return to college. I always have wondered what happened to the guys who declare early and don't get a spot.

Reactions: 1 person
I wish the NCAA would adopt a rule that players declaring early but who don't sign with an agent and go undrafted could return to college. I always have wondered what happened to the guys who declare early and don't get a spot.

That'd be a thought call. Every junior in the NCAA would declare every year just for the heck if it. It'd probably be a logistical nightmare for the NFL

Exactly. How fast was Jerry Rices 40 time? Or Steve Largents? Route running and good hands are much mire important than a 40 time.

I agree he will move up draft boards. You only have to catch 1 team with a needs eye. But seriously 4.3? I see no way Josh is that fast.

If Marquez North can run 4.48 at the combine then I'm pretty sure Malone can break 4.39. Malone played much faster than North.

LOL he isn't running a 4.3. You haven't learned evidently

Sure he will. His combine will propel him into a first round pick. Kamara and Dobbs will get picked in the first round because they are generational talents. Barnett will drop to the 4-5 round because he really isnt that good.

Jalen Hurd will be drafted #1 overall and shatter all roomie rushing records. He will then go on to have a career that makes Barry Sanders career look silly. Remember, Hurd is the Calvin Johnson of RBs.

Agreed! The GM who takes Garrett over Barnett will be out of work when their 2nd contract negotiations folks around. Garrett never stopped the run at A&M no reason to think he will in the NFL.

Actually he was a better run stopper this year than Barnett and was one of the best in the nation.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Mock drafts are always fun. Here's a two rounder that has Barnett going 8th. UDFApodcast.com

I believe there were 107 last year. Still time to top that number - this statement not accurate

Found an article that said 96 was number. I had 106 in my spreadsheet which was a number I picked up over a year ago. Have that many names and now I will need to research to see which ones ended up not going to draft.

looked at bottom of link. 11 players had graduated and even though they had another year of eligibility they went out to the draft. that is where I got my number

List of underclassmen granted eligibility for 2016 NFL Draft - NFL.com

LWS: Do you know how many of those 106 got drafted? I would like to see:

1. What % of those players got drafted.
2. What % signed as UDFA
3. What % of those players made a roster.
4. What % did not make a roster or practice quad.
5. What % did not do either of the above. They declared early didn't get drafted, didn't sign as UDFA and didn't make a practice squad.

If the percentage of question 1 is low and the percentages of 4 and 5 make up for over 20% would it be safe to say that if you aren't projected to be a high round pick is it even worth the risk?

VN Store

Back