NCAA softball selection show

Is there any chance that they could give Gaffin a padded glove and a couple of naproxen to give us some innings?

Last edited:
Is their any chance that they could give Gaffin a padded glove and a couple of naproxen to give us some innings?

Wouldn't that be awesome.... There is a slim chance she could pitch .... Hopefully the fracture is small and not causing a lot of pain ..... I'm gonna hold on to some hope that she will be able to play.

Is their any chance that they could give Gaffin a padded glove and a couple of naproxen to give us some innings?

No way she plays in the regionals. I would doubt if we advanced that she would play in the super regionals either. Maybe a slight chance to play if we make the CWS. I know she's itching really bad to play but it's a fracture so I don't see her playing anymore this season.

I think they avoid them if the teams played during the regular season....so you could see a Florida vs Mizzou matchup this year....and an outside chance of Bama vs Tennessee as we only played one non-conference game against them....I'm hoping for FSU though

Like I said, doesn't come into play. Hopefully we make it through to see Auburn.

I've finally taken a good look at the overall bracket. Took their(NCAA) website a delay in getting the full brackets up. Here are some things that jump out at me or I question:

1. How in the darn world did Kentucky jump up into a #9 seed? They weren't even ranked in the top 10 before the SECT & didn't they lose in their 1st game? I know they were seeded #2 for tourney but that was mostly luck in how things played out in the final games of the regular season. They in no way deserve to be a #9 national seed. That's a load of bull.

2. How in the world did Georgia get into the top 16 with the #16 seed? They finished the season what 8th overall in the SEC? They got knocked out early in the SECT too. They lost 17 total games.

How could the NCAA not put a team like Baylor, Fresno State, or even USF in there at #16? One of those 3 teams should have replaced Georgia as the #16 seed. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. I believe Georgia's RPI heading into the SECT was #19. They lost their 1st game in the tourney yet they move up to get into the top 16? NCAA you messed up here majorly.

3. James Madison as the #7 overall seed looks to have a very solid chance at making it to the CWS. They have two really good players who are also their best pitchers & hitters. They have already played a tough schedule including beating our own Lady Vols. Looks like the only real threat to them would come in the super regionals possibly vs LSU.

4. How did we fall all the way to a #13 seed after being ranked #9 before the SECT? I think I know the reason(s) for this & have explained it in the other Lady Vols softball thread. It was mainly due to losing Gaffin to injury. For the ones that don't know this, the NCAA is allowed to factor in injuries to determine seeding. We lost in the semis to what was an LSU team that was a pre-season #3 ranked team.

They were a hot team coming into the SECT anyhow. I can see why they jumped LSU up into the #10 seed but I feel like we fell a couple of spots lower than we should have. I thought a #11-#12 seed would be the absolute lowest we would fall. However, it looks like we got in one of the better regional brackets compared to what some other teams have to go through to advance.

5. I also feel like Washington got the shaft in seeding. They received an #11 seed. Their RPI was 6th. They were ranked 10th in the last polls. They played a pretty tough schedule too hence their higher RPI. They should be in the top 10 in place of Kentucky as the #9 seed. They will advance to the super regionals but would probably run into Alabama in the Supers so their run would probably end there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Washington is very good. They went toe to toe with the same LSU team that everyone is going on and on about being so hot. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they beat Bama in a Super.

The best teams in the Pac-12 are just as good as ours it's just we have more of them.

Washington is very good. They went toe to toe with the same LSU team that everyone is going on and on about being so hot. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they beat Bama in a Super.

The best teams in the Pac-12 are just as good as ours it's just we have more of them.

You're right. Washington could very well beat a Bama team in the supers & make it to the WCWS. I surely don't see them getting knocked out in the regionals for sure.

Bama isn't a great team like they usually are in the past. You could even make the argument they are seeded to high at #6 nationally. If it was to come down to Washington vs Bama in the supers that's going to be a great series to watch.

Agree: I feel like some of these seedings are out of whack. We've got a better team than bama.

I've finally taken a good look at the overall bracket. Took their(NCAA) website a delay in getting the full brackets up. Here are some things that jump out at me or I question:

1. How in the darn world did Kentucky jump up into a #9 seed? They weren't even ranked in the top 10 before the SECT & didn't they lose in their 1st game? I know they were seeded #2 for tourney but that was mostly luck in how things played out in the final games of the regular season. They in no way deserve to be a #9 national seed. That's a load of bull.

2. How in the world did Georgia get into the top 16 with the #16 seed? They finished the season what 8th overall in the SEC? They got knocked out early in the SECT too. They lost 17 total games.

How could the NCAA not put a team like Baylor, Fresno State, or even USF in there at #16? One of those 3 teams should have replaced Georgia as the #16 seed. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. I believe Georgia's RPI heading into the SECT was #19. They lost their 1st game in the tourney yet they move up to get into the top 16? NCAA you messed up here majorly.

3. James Madison as the #7 overall seed looks to have a very solid chance at making it to the CWS. They have two really good players who are also their best pitchers & hitters. They have already played a tough schedule including beating our own Lady Vols. Looks like the only real threat to them would come in the super regionals possibly vs LSU.

4. How did we fall all the way to a #13 seed after being ranked #9 before the SECT? I think I know the reason(s) for this & have explained it in the other Lady Vols softball thread. It was mainly due to losing Gaffin to injury. For the ones that don't know this, the NCAA is allowed to factor in injuries to determine seeding. We lost in the semis to what was an LSU team that was a pre-season #3 ranked team.

They were a hot team coming into the SECT anyhow. I can see why they jumped LSU up into the #10 seed but I feel like we fell a couple of spots lower than we should have. I thought a #11-#12 seed would be the absolute lowest we would fall. However, it looks like we got in one of the better regional brackets compared to what some other teams have to go through to advance.

5. I also feel like Washington got the shaft in seeding. They received an #11 seed. Their RPI was 6th. They were ranked 10th in the last polls. They played a pretty tough schedule too hence their higher RPI. They should be in the top 10 in place of Kentucky as the #9 seed. They will advance to the super regionals but would probably run into Alabama in the Supers so their run would probably end there.
Aside from the Texas A&M / ULL regional our regional would be the next toughest with Arizona/Ohio State.... The only regional were 3 teams r ranked in top 25/or receiving votes.

Like I said, doesn't come into play. Hopefully we make it through to see Auburn.

This year though they went way too regional.... I mean Florida/Georgia, UCLA/Oregon, and Tennessee/Auburn....talk about really not wanting to spend money on flying teams haha

The seeding was probably a one-two punch. Gaffin going out gave other players a chance to step up. They didn't. Our leaders weren't clutch. We left something like 13 players on base (compared to LSU's 2)... and a big opportunity on the field. The table was set for UT to make it to the SECCG, and we didn't get it done without Gaffin. That hurt us.

Don't get the UK and UGA seeding, though. LVs have another opportunity. Let's see what they can do.

Well, I have a vague sense is that this is one of the toughest regionals we've had in a while. If we hit the ball like we can, we should be OK.

Tennessee's road to the WCWS looks tough. I mean it's not easy at all. Thanks a lot Selection Committee, we'll see you in OKC in a few weeks. Admittedly, I haven't been following Arizona/OSU, but Arizona is a traditional powerhouse and OSU is no slouch. You can never take these powerhouse programs lightly even when they are having a down year. They usually have a great coaching staff behind and I'm sure Mike Candrea will have a few tricks up his sleeve and have his Wildcats ready to play. I still remember the year 2011 when we got upset in the regional by Oklahoma State Cowgirls, a traditional powerhouse program. OK St was very hot that time and after upsetting Tennessee they went all the way to the WCWS that year. Even if we get out of the regional, facing Auburn in the super regional at their house is a daunting task. It seems like Auburn now got their mojo back and is clicking on all cylinders after rallying around the turtle. Beating Tigers 4 times this year (4 out of 4, or 4 out of 5) is what Tennessee has to do to advance to OKC, and w/o Gaffin that's a tall order. But Auburn's pitchers are hittable, and if our bats come alive, TN can beat them. Auburn got that turtle power thing going on right now, I wonder what our players will do with Rainey. We have to be creative and do something with "Rainey", right?

Even if we get out of the regional, facing Auburn in the super regional at their house is a daunting task. It seems like Auburn now got their mojo back and is clicking on all cylinders after rallying around the turtle. Beating Tigers 4 times this year (4 out of 4, or 4 out of 5) is what Tennessee has to do to advance to OKC, and w/o Gaffin that's a tall order. But Auburn's pitchers are hittable, and if our bats come alive, TN can beat them. Auburn got that turtle power thing going on right now, I wonder what our players will do with Rainey. We have to be creative and do something with "Rainey", right?

Well, that's kinda the problem. AU used the turtle thing to empower the team, while the LVs deflated without Rainey. We had our best players-- the team leaders-- at bat in the bottom of the 7th and they didn't put the game away. We left two in scoring position with the game-- and a spot in the SECCG on the line. Maybe the LVs can clean slate it, but it wasn't unseasoned freshmen who lost their mojo; it was juniors and seniors who'd been there before. Hopefully, we can reboot this week.

Well, that's kinda the problem. AU used the turtle thing to empower the team, while the LVs deflated without Rainey. We had our best players-- the team leaders-- at bat in the bottom of the 7th and they didn't put the game away. We left two in scoring position with the game-- and a spot in the SECCG on the line. Maybe the LVs can clean slate it, but it wasn't unseasoned freshmen who lost their mojo; it was juniors and seniors who'd been there before. Hopefully, we can reboot this week.

Auburn had a week to deal with their turtle's injury before coming into the SECT, so they had more time to reexamine their situation, rally the troops, invade the local toy stores to get all the available Ninja turtle gear, get galvanized and recharge. On the other hand, Rainey's injury happened just the day before, and our team just didn't have enough time to readjust properly in such a quick turnaround. But, now the team would have a week to prepare for the NCAA since Rainey's injury, and the empowerment is definitely coming for our players. Look-alike life size Rainey Dolls and all the Rainey-inspired gear will carry this team through the NCAA playoffs. Be afraid. Be very afraid...

Meh, it is what it is at this point. Once brackets are out no amount of whining will change it. Once you are out of the top 8, it all comes down to match ups.

With that said, I am thrilled with the potential SR match up with Auburn, a team the players know they can beat. But also, I think Auburn's head is in a much better place now and they may have a chip on their shoulder.

If the committee had seeded UT higher, at say...11...look who the SR matchup is? A Bama team UT lost to earlier this year. Or what if UT was 12 and had to go to Oregon? Or even 10 and going to what lots of people think is a soft #7 seed in JMU, who shut UT out earlier this year? And be glad UT didn't drop to 14 and potentially have to go to Oklahoma...

The committee does take injuries into account, which is probably why Washington fell as their ace pitcher is questionable with a bad ankle sprain. UT missing Rainey certainly played a role.

As far as the UT regional, if we are worried about Arizona or OSU, then there are bigger issues. Don't get me wrong, you still need to respect your opponents and play the game, but if UT loses in regionals then OKC was never an option.

For this weekend:
1. Buy your tickets
2. Bring your raincoat
3. Pack lots of food and drinks in the car
4. Have patience with the potential rain delays

Weather not looking good for Fri/Sat.

I just find it very interesting that the Selection Committee has AU going against TN in the super regional and Florida against AU in the WCWS. The message: beat your nemesis if you wanna play in OKC or win a national championship. The path to the promised land is definitely laiden with a minefield to navigate through and a tall mountain to climb up.

The UT Ticket office is selling the tickets for all three sessions (Fri-Sun) for a grand total of $25. Individual tickets can be purchased on the game day. I got mine. Go get yours while the supply lasts.

Reactions: 2 people
The committee does take injuries into account, which is probably why Washington fell as their ace pitcher is questionable with a bad ankle sprain. UT missing Rainey certainly played a role.

Weather not looking good for Fri/Sat.

You said exactly what I had stated above in bold as to the cause for us falling down to a #13 seed. It was more about Gaffin getting injured than anything else in my opinion. Like you said & I have as well, the committee factors in injuries.

How they determine how far a team falls/drops in seeding because of injury nobody would know but them. I think we were going to be around a #10-#11 seed until Gaffin got hurt. If we had made the SEC championship game we might still could have kept that #10-#11 seed but it didn't happen. I know if we had won the SECT we would have been a top 10 seed.

I said due to losing Gaffin & not making the SEC championship game would cost us a few spots but I said no lower than a #14 national seed but more likely a #11-#12 seed. Of course, we got a #13 national seed but no way we can be too mad about that even though it's a little lower than I expected.

Two things the committee did that doesn't make not one bit of sense is place Kentucky in as the #9 seed. There's now way they deserve to be that high. Same thing with Georgia. How did they get the #16 seed when you have at least 3 other teams way more deserving?

I guess the seedings you could throw them all in a pot of the top 20 teams & draw them out. Is that what they did because it sure looks like it? I've never seen such a mess in NCAA seedings like this year.

I know JMU is a mid-major school but even they in my opinion deserved to be in the top 5 probably at #5. That would be one spot ahead of Bama who is 6th. You have a valid argument if you're a JMU fan/coach that they should be ranked ahead of Bama. Their record is better than Bama & their RPI is right behind them. I don't want to hear this they play in a weak conference crap. They beat us.

They beat other top teams in the country all season. Their record is 46-4. Bama is 46-12. Bama only was placed ahead of them at #6 because they play in the SEC. That's it. Oregon who is 2 spots ahead of JMU as the #5 seed is behind JMU in RPI as well. JMU should have been at #5 but just like most other seeds they are all messed up.

I see you mentioned the weather not looking good for the weekend. That's not good. Hopefully it will stay away from Knoxville. The good Lord can bring it up my way here in the Tri-Cities area instead if he wants & keep it away from Knoxville. We need the rain badly up this way anyhow. :)

Last edited:
You said exactly what I had stated above in bold as to the cause for us falling down to a #13 seed. It was more about Gaffin getting injured than anything else in my opinion. Like you said & I have as well, the committee factors in injuries.

How they determine how far a team falls/drops in seeding because of injury nobody would know but them. I think we were going to be around a #10-#11 seed until Gaffin got hurt. If we had made the SEC championship game we might still could have kept that #10-#11 seed but it didn't happen. I know if we had won the SECT we would have been a top 10 seed.

I said due to losing Gaffin & not making the SEC championship game would cost us a few spots but I said no lower than a #14 national seed but more likely a #11-#12 seed. Of course, we got a #13 national seed but no way we can be too mad about that even though it's a little lower than I expected.

Two things the committee did that doesn't make not one bit of sense is place Kentucky in as the #9 seed. There's now way they deserve to be that high. Same thing with Georgia. How did they get the #16 seed when you have at least 3 other teams way more deserving?

I guess the seedings you could throw them all in a pot of the top 20 teams & draw them out. Is that what they did because it sure looks like it? I've never seen such a mess in NCAA seedings like this year.

I know JMU is a mid-major school but even they in my opinion deserved to be in the top 5 probably at #5. That would be one spot ahead of Bama who is 6th. You have a valid argument if you're a JMU fan/coach that they should be ranked ahead of Bama. Their record is better than Bama & their RPI is right behind them. I don't want to hear this they play in a weak conference crap. They beat us.

They beat other top teams in the country all season. Their record is 46-4. Bama is 46-12. Bama only was placed ahead of them at #6 because they play in the SEC. That's it. Oregon who is 2 spots ahead of JMU as the #5 seed is behind JMU in RPI as well. JMU should have been at #5 but just like most other seeds they are all messed up.

I see you mentioned the weather not looking good for the weekend. That's not good. Hopefully it will stay away from Knoxville. The good Lord can bring it up my way here in the Tri-Cities area instead if he wants & keep it away from Knoxville. We need the rain badly up this way anyhow. :)

Alabama beat James Madison when they played this year...and the committee gave JMU a gift of a regional no hard teams there none zero zilch

Hardest regionals with team rpi's....dropped the 4th teams rpi from each regional...they are in order of Hardest to easiest

1. FLORIDA STATE (7, 20, 24)=17
2t. FLORIDA (1, 23, 31)=18.33
2t. LAFAYETTE (12, 17, 26)=18.33
4. OREGON (9, 13, 37)=19.67
5. UCLA (14, 18, 28)=20
6t. OKLAHOMA (4, 27, 41)=24
6t. TENNESSEE (11, 21, 40)=24
8. WASHINGTON (6, 22, 51)=26.33
9. ALABAMA (3, 37, 44)=28
10. LSU (15, 33, 39)=29
11. MISSOURI (10, 32, 46)=29.33
12. AUBURN (8, 25, 57)=30
13. KENTUCKY (16, 30, 48)=31.33
14. GEORGIA (19, 34, 45)=32.66
15. JAMES MADISON (5, 35, 64)=34.66
16. MICHIGAN (2, 29, 127)=52.66

Alabama beat James Madison when they played this year...and the committee gave JMU a gift of a regional no hard teams there none zero zilch

So, going by your post after this one with the hardest to easiest, only Michigan has the easier road to the super regionals. Did you use today's latest updated RPI's to get the numbers you listed? New RPI rankings came out today. Thanks!

So, going by your post after this one with the hardest to easiest, only Michigan has the easier road to the super regionals. Did you use today's latest updated RPI's to get the numbers you listed? New RPI rankings came out today. Thanks!

I'm not sure I got it from the softball message board those guys spend more time on than I do

Yeah, JMU got what should be a cake walk regional. Would have loved to see an SEC team like Ole Miss or Texas A&M there to test them, or even a PAC12 school. Somebody at the NCAA HQ wants to see the "cinderella" story, although they have better pitching than most of the teams in the field, just don't have the 1-9 depth as others do.

Like I said, forecast not looking good. Plan for what could be a long Friday evening and long long long Saturday.

And why did they give Georgia a 16 seed? Seriously? That was one of the biggest surprises in the history of ever.

Oh well, called in my ticket order today and plan on having my butt in the chair and seeing some great softball this weekend, mother nature allowing for such.

VN Store

Back