National media figuring out Haslam

Background article on the JLL deal is linked (University of Tennessee: Outsourcing would save $6.8 million). Outsourcing by other industries has been going on for years. The company I work for started usIn JLL years ago. I don’t know the actual savings, if any, but the original proposal was substantial. Outsourcing facility management, such as groundskeepers, electrical work, etc is following the path of IT work, distribution, and other roles.

A key part of this story is Haslam’s financial involvement in JLL and the lack of competitive bidding for the contract. JLL is not the only company performing this service and should have been required to compete for the contract against other proposed companies.

The governor also tried to outsource some of the state parks with golf courses and overnight cabin rentals to his “buddy’s” so they could get paid, luckily the legislature blocked it from happening

Reactions: 4 people
Seems this entire situation wreaks of the worst elements of both poles in our society politically. You have a Marxist on one end and a power crazed Capitalist on the other.

I have no side to take here. But I have a feeling UT better lube up.

I am trying to figure out where I am supposed to care. The government workers want to keep their for life jobs (and who often vote Dem) - while UT will pay a little less to the new contractor (who funds Reps) who will pay some private workers even less for probably doing a better job.

Just one interest group trying to grab from another one. Either way I doubt the taxpayers of TN will benefit that much. So why do I care again?

Reactions: 1 person
Now THAT is so true. Pi$$ poor AD's have been a huge part of the mess UT athletics is in.

Not so fast. Performance issues are the responsibility of the head coaches. Many in our fan base are totally deluded as to our attractiveness as a football program. In my lifetime, we've hired one big name/big time coach and he was an alumnus. Otherwise, we've hired "up and comers". With the exception of Fulmer and Battle, all of the others have walked into varying degrees of a difficult situation. It doesn't always work out.

I am interested in seeing how Fulmer handles Holly. If he's the savior to our AD that many in his camp believe, he'll replace her in short order. She is though, a loyal, former player. In the past as a head coach, we saw some real difficulty with Fulmer handling performance issues with those who have been loyal to the program.

For me right now, it's wait and see. I'm not going to proclaim anything about Fulmer as AD and Pruitt as HFC. Talk is cheap. Let's see how it plays out over the next couple of years

I am trying to figure out where I am supposed to care. The government workers want to keep their for life jobs (and who often vote Dem) - while UT will pay a little less to the new contractor (who funds Reps) who will pay some private workers even less for probably doing a better job.

Just one interest group trying to grab from another one. Either way I doubt the taxpayers of TN will benefit that much. So why do I care again?

Everyone here is too worried about the political aspect or how they feel about Bev. Neither of those are the point. It's the 'why'.

It's not R v D or their beliefs.
As another poster stated earlier, it's only about the party of Haslam.
And frankly, I'm sick of their stupid cronyism decisions ruining football.

Not true. The Bear Trace courses in Tennessee were almost ruined by outsourcing. Even then, two of them closed. When the state took back over the operations, revenues improved and the courses got better. In a nutshell, they were being robbed by outsourcing

Reactions: 2 people
Everyone keeps saying she was fired. She was not fired, but demoted - still making over. 400K a year. I think she’ll be fine.

It's not about her being all right. It's about the Haslam family demoting her because of a few things.

1. She said no to the JLL privatization of UT.
2.She said no to Schiano.
3.She fired Currie.
4.She hired Fulmer.

Reactions: 7 people
When the president of UT brings in more money than the Football Coach he should be paid more. From what I can tell most all college level admin are WAY overpaid.

The University President makes $585,000, our strength coach makes $625,000 and you think the administration is overpaid? This is a University that supports a football team. Get back to basics and cap these athletic salaries otherwise the sport kills itself with greed, college football disappears. I would miss it.

The University President makes $585,000, our strength coach makes $625,000 and you think the administration is overpaid? This is a University that supports a football team. Get back to basics and cap these athletic salaries otherwise the sport kills itself with greed, college football disappears. I would miss it.

Get back to me when the SEC Network broadcasts Chemistry classes.

Reactions: 5 people
Everyone here is too worried about the political aspect or how they feel about Bev. Neither of those are the point. It's the 'why'.

It's not R v D or their beliefs.
As another poster stated earlier, it's only about the party of Haslam.
And frankly, I'm sick of their stupid cronyism decisions ruining football.

Oh, I understand very well. I think the whole idea of Haslam running UT as his own private company is a major problem - but if I am honest, its because of the horrible job he has done in influencing Vol football and other sports.

I dont care for Bev's SJW crap she seemed to be implementing so I am happy she is gone from that perspective. Again, the only reason I think she was hired was to paper over the Title IX issues. That said, it is very unfortunate that the only reason she seems to be really getting tossed out (into a cushy prof job) is because she went against Haslam. Not for being a bleeding heart liberal bringing SJW indoctrination on campus or other such flaws but simply because she stood up to Haslam to push gov workers over private ones (typical Dem) and because she pushed CJP as AD over Haslam cronies - the one and only thing I (very strongly) support that I am aware she has done.

It'll be bad for the people currently working for the University system, since this seeks to outsource their jobs to a buddy firm.

And people keep voting for scum like this. He's trying to wrap up the president job so he can shift funds to friends and garner kickbacks. Looks like Bill is as crooked as Flying J's rebate scam after all.

And you think this doesn't happen everywhere? It does.

Background article on the JLL deal is linked (University of Tennessee: Outsourcing would save $6.8 million). Outsourcing by other industries has been going on for years. The company I work for started usIn JLL years ago. I don’t know the actual savings, if any, but the original proposal was substantial. Outsourcing facility management, such as groundskeepers, electrical work, etc is following the path of IT work, distribution, and other roles.

I never understood the big deal. A lot of companies lease these services. It allows companies to concentrate on hiring folks that support their business not ones that support the maintenance of the buildings.

When the president of UT brings in more money than the Football Coach he should be paid more. From what I can tell most all college level admin are WAY overpaid.

Good grief! And you probably believe this which is even sadder. The purpose of the university is to support and educate its students ... ALL STUDENTS. Not just some football hero.

UT as a whole brings in way more money to the university through academics than it does with the football program. UT could shut down the AD and still do just fine. The city of Knoxville and Knox county would suffer with loss revenues but UT as a university would be just fine.

College coaches IMO are way overpaid.

Reactions: 3 people
Might want to take a step back and chill out with the complaints, Tennesseans. From my point of view, your state is doing VERY well. Your governor has done an outstanding job... history has shown that he knows what he's doing.

Yes. He has done a lot of good for this state. But some on here judge only by what happens on Saturday.

Thank God, the governor understands there are more important issues than who coaches football at UT.

Get back to me when the SEC Network broadcasts Chemistry classes.

Technically, they do.

Almost every single advancement made to keep the sports-entertainers safe has come out of a science lab or research facility. Everything from the composition of the shoe sole to the motion of a quarterback's arm swing has been relentlessly analysed and continually perfected by the academic endeavors you like to roll your eyes at.

Stronger, faster, harder, better, all because of science and research.

I never understood the big deal. A lot of companies lease these services. It allows companies to concentrate on hiring folks that support their business not ones that support the maintenance of the buildings.

Usually agree with you on football things but can't here. You explained it in the bold part. Why would you want someone doing maintenance on a building that doesn't support the work their doing?

Already work in a State building currently using JLL for the custodial work. Our building has 3 floors and is around 120,000 sq ft. The two custodians are here 4 hours a night. Why only 4 you ask in a building so big? Because they're asked to do another State building almost as big just a couple of blocks away.

So they are splitting their 8 hour shifts between the two buildings. This is how JLL can save money. But in reality, the building cleanliness is suffering. The trash hardly gets taken out. The carpet is never vacuumed. They can hardly clean the men's and women's bathrooms that are on each of the 3 floors in the time they are allotted. It's not the two custodians fault.

A woman a year ago put a work request in to JLL so that her cam lock on her filing cabinet that had stopped working properly could be changed out. 8 weeks later it got fixed. This was sensitive material that had to be moved to another filing cabinet waiting on JLL.

People that really care about their job would lose their job. The biggest problem I have with it is JLL not having to bid for the contract. Then the story broke that Haslam owns stock in JLL. That alone started the firestorm.

You have to think what is Bill Haslam's end goal here. A kick back? Why, with all that oil money already. All I can think of is with JLL being in over 90 countries and mostly unionized that he will want unionized help one day when he decides to run for POTUS.

Usually agree with you on football things but can't here. You explained it in the bold part. Why would you want someone doing maintenance on a building that doesn't support the work their doing?

Already work in a State building currently using JLL for the custodial work. Our building has 3 floors and is around 120,000 sq ft. The two custodians are here 4 hours a night. Why only 4 you ask in a building so big? Because they're asked to do another State building almost as big just a couple of blocks away.

So they are splitting their 8 hour shifts between the two buildings. This is how JLL can save money. But in reality, the building cleanliness is suffering. The trash hardly gets taken out. The carpet is never vacuumed. They can hardly clean the men's and women's bathrooms that are on each of the 3 floors in the time they are allotted. It's not the two custodians fault.

A woman a year ago put a work request in to JLL so that her cam lock on her filing cabinet that had stopped working properly could be changed out. 8 weeks later it got fixed. This was sensitive material that had to be moved to another filing cabinet waiting on JLL.

People that really care about their job would lose their job. The biggest problem I have with it is JLL not having to bid for the contract. Then the story broke that Haslam owns stock in JLL. That alone started the firestorm.

You have to think what is Bill Haslam's end goal here. A kick back? Why, with all that oil money already. All I can think of is with JLL being in over 90 countries and mostly unionized that he will want unionized help one day when he decides to run for POTUS.

Wait, this outsourcing plan and contract was passed along without a competitive bid?

In my field, people get fired, sued, and sometimes jailed for that BS.

Wait, this outsourcing plan and contract was passed along without a competitive bid?

In my field, people get fired, sued, and sometimes jailed for that BS.

The contract that is currently in the state building offices there was no bid on and given directly to JLL. There was a bid for the outsourcing of prisons and state universities, including 2 year colleges, that supposedly JLL won the bid for that Chancellor Davenport turned down last November.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/state-government/article/20856447/jll-awarded-massive-outsourcing-contract

But Tennessee Democratic Party chair Mary Mancini bashed Haslam and JLL in an email.

"If Governor Haslam had put as much effort into expanding Medicaid as he did into outsourcing state jobs, over 200,000 more people in the state would have health insurance. Instead, thousands more are at risk of losing coverage and potentially their jobs. He has been fighting tooth and nail for a plan nobody voted for and has shown no evidence will save taxpayer money or improve services," Mancini wrote. "The first contract to JLL didn’t even have a bidding process. It is not surprising that they ‘won’ this contract. The Governor seems to be rewarding this company and Tennesseans deserve to know why. We agree with Rep. Clemmons that anyone involved in this process should immediately disclose any and all financial interest in JLL."

Last edited:

VN Store

Back