Movies you've seen recently II

I don't think there is a thread called "TV Series I'm Watching" or whatever, but there probably oughtta be. The best existing thread for Mr. & Mrs. Smith would probably be

Yeah, probably would make more sense than having a different thread for each streaming service.

2023) Ferrari
9/10

A great sports drama movie that is based on the 1991 Enzo Ferrari: The Man, the Cars, the Races, the Machine by Motorsport Journalist Brock Yates.

It’s a movie set in the Summer of 1957 which shows the professional struggles and personal struggles of Enzo Ferrari.

Enzo Ferrari wears terrific suits, and other characters are wearing clothes that fit a movie taking place in the year 1957.

A well made movie with great acting, good dialogue, colorful characters, amazing action racing scenes, stated stakes, a challenging except achievable objective, memorable lines, impressive Ferrari cars, etc.

Enzo Ferrari is shown to be a charismatic leader as shown during a speech given to the Ferrari racing team , and he is a ruthless genius that mostly cares about the cars and winning the Races so this makes him seem more machine than human.

The movie shows a truthful depiction of an entrepreneur that did achieve greatness for Ferrari, also a man that is a determined genius, and a charismatic leader.

Also I enjoyed this movie respects the audience because the movie is not preaching to the audience Enzo Ferrari is not an exemplary father.
The reasons are he had an adulterous relationship with a woman while married to his first wife, and a line by Laura implies Enzo has had affairs which aren’t shown in the movie.

The action scenes that are Enzo wanting the speed record to be broken are very entertaining.

The movie has an original soundtrack with music that fits the scenes.
An impressive quality because an original soundtrack for a movie stopped being common in the 2000s.

It’s a movie that explains things that should be explained including why Laura would be able to cash a check for 500,000 dollars without bankrupting the company since Laura tells Enzo the easy solution that could make Ferrari a vast amount of money.
Enzo wrote the check for her with a believable reason for why she should wait to cash it.

Also this movie respects the audience by not explaining things to the audience that the audience can understand. This includes why did a Ferrari driver give a ride to a stranded driver of the Maserati team to the area where tire changes, and other tasks would be done before resuming the race.

I’m very happy that the climax of the racing scene in Millie Miglia in Brescia changed from night to the day because it was challenging to see details of the race during night.
The movie does have suspense shown for the race in the morning with multiple view shown, and because it was stated by the main antagonist of the other racing team the exact strategy he wants his team to use to win the race.

This movie has high stakes for the Ferrari company because Enzo’s accountant states the Ferrari team needs to win the Mille Miglia road race which would generate sales and boost brands, or Enzo sells the company if the Ferrari team lost the race.

The Mille Miglia race is an open road race of 1,000 miles so it’s a realistic time aspect that this long race takes place during night and the morning.

As expected Laura does ask Enzo why the affair happened and when since she does find out Enzo has an adulterous relationship with an other woman.
Enzo talks about the dirty details of why the affair with Lina happened, also Enzo wants a son as a heir which Lina was able to provide.

Laura isn’t wrong that she gave Enzo a son Alfredo that could become an heir except he can’t because he died from Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
It’s a reminder about how very unfair life can be because of being dealt something awful that is outside of a human’s control.

During a Sermon in a Church the Preacher gives a Sermon which Enzo hears so it’s believable he would feel the immense pressure to achieve perfection for Ferrari cars after he hears the sermon.

Last edited:
2023) Ferrari
9/10

A great sports drama movie that is based on the 1991 Enzo Ferrari: The Man, the Cars, the Races, the Machine by Motorsport Journalist Brock Yates.

It’s a movie set in the Summer of 1957 which shows the professional struggles and personal struggles of Enzo Ferrari.

Enzo Ferrari wears terrific suits, and other characters are wearing clothes that fit a movie taking place in the year 1957.

A well made movie with great acting, good dialogue, colorful characters, amazing action racing scenes, stated stakes, a challenging except achievable objective, memorable lines, impressive Ferrari cars, etc.

Enzo Ferrari is shown to be a charismatic leader as shown during a speech given to the Ferrari racing team , and he is a ruthless genius that mostly cares about the cars and winning the Races so this makes him seem more machine than human.

The movie shows a truthful depiction of an entrepreneur that did achieve greatness for Ferrari, also a man that is a determined genius, and a charismatic leader.

Also I enjoyed this movie respects the audience because the movie is not preaching to the audience Enzo Ferrari is not an exemplary father.
The reasons are he had an adulterous relationship with a woman while married to his first wife, and a line by Laura implies Enzo has had affairs which aren’t shown in the movie.

The action scenes that are Enzo wanting the speed record to be broken are very entertaining.

The movie has an original soundtrack with music that fits the scenes.
An impressive quality because an original soundtrack for a movie stopped being common in the 2000s.

It’s a movie that explains things that should be explained including why Laura would be able to cash a check for 500,000 dollars without bankrupting the company since Laura tells Enzo the easy solution that could make Ferrari a vast amount of money.
Enzo wrote the check for her with a believable reason for why she should wait to cash it.

Also this movie respects the audience by not explaining things to the audience that the audience can understand. This includes why did a Ferrari driver give a ride to a stranded driver of the Maserati team to the area where tire changes, and other tasks would be done before resuming the race.

I’m very happy that the climax of the racing scene in Millie Miglia in Brescia changed from night to the day because it was challenging to see details of the race during night.
The movie does have suspense shown for the race in the morning with multiple view shown, and because it was stated by the main antagonist of the other racing team the exact strategy he wants his team to use to win the race.

This movie has high stakes for the Ferrari company because Enzo’s accountant states the Ferrari team needs to win the Mille Miglia road race which would generate sales and boost brands, or Enzo sells the company if the Ferrari team lost the race.

The Mille Miglia race is an open road race of 1,000 miles so it’s a realistic time aspect that this long race takes place during night and the morning.

As expected Laura does ask Enzo why the affair happened and when since she does find out Enzo has an adulterous relationship with an other woman.
Enzo talks about the dirty details of why the affair with Lina happened, also Enzo wants a son as a heir which Lina was able to provide.

Laura isn’t wrong that she gave Enzo a son Alfredo that could become an heir except he can’t because from Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
It’s a reminder about how very unfair life can be because of being dealt something awful that is outside of a human’s control.

During a Sermon in a Church the Preacher gives a Sermon which Enzo hears so it’s believable he would feel the immense pressure to achieve perfection for Ferrari cars after he hears the sermon.
Great summary. As a F1 fan (Hamilton to Ferrari, wtf?), I enjoyed this movie. It's not all about racing more about the man who made his name international by focusing on racing and building cars to finance his passion.

Brawl in Cell Block 99…… wasn’t what I expected…because……damn . 7/10

I really enjoyed Ford vs Ferrari.

Anybody seen Poorer Things with Emma Stone?
I personally don’t understand the appeal of Poor Things. It’s a very polarizing film. I’ve heard it described as “liberating” and “empowering” but I just can’t see it. Maybe my opinion is skewed by working with youth, but there’s nothing empowering about pedophilia, human trafficking, domestic abuse,sexual activity in the presence of children, etc. Selfish, impulsive actions by someone with a low cognitive age is not liberating. It was trash hidden behind good cinematography.

Aniara 7/10

Swedish flick thats basically a space based Gilligans Island without the happy ending. HBO Max.

"Zone of Interest." Absolutely amazing. I'm awestruck.
The perspective of them just living their lives while the unimaginable was happening on the other side of the wall, it was powerful. I do wish they would've included what ultimately happened to Hoss in the ending.

Stillwater.

Seems like Matt Damon plays what he thinks people from Oklahoma are: wooden Indians. Damon is better than this.

Abigail Breslin plays the lesbian daughter getting away from all those horrible Okies by going to France. Convicted of murdering her roommate/lover, ten minutes of her and I'm ready to leave her rear end in prison and fly back to Muscogee if that keeps her away from me.

Thought the French actors were good and enjoyed them.

Not bad, but could have been better.

Reactions: Vol737
I’ll be reviewing the awful movie (2011) Green Lantern which greatly disappointed me.

It’s me being outside the box to review objectively terrible movies this year.

Brawl in Cell Block 99…… wasn’t what I expected…because……damn . 7/10

Go watch Bone Tomahawk. Same director. So damn good.

I personally don’t understand the appeal of Poor Things. It’s a very polarizing film. I’ve heard it described as “liberating” and “empowering” but I just can’t see it. Maybe my opinion is skewed by working with youth, but there’s nothing empowering about pedophilia, human trafficking, domestic abuse,sexual activity in the presence of children, etc. Selfish, impulsive actions by someone with a low cognitive age is not liberating. It was trash hidden behind good cinematography.

I agree with you strongly that I don’t see anything liberating and empowering for the movie Poor Things.
Human trafficking, domestic abuse, pedophilia are harmful predatory actions so it’s very depressing since it’s a movie that shows those dreadful predatory actions as uplifting, positive, and empowering.

Sexual activity done in the presence of children is very strange since it is very abnormal.

Reactions: SycloneJoe
I do believe objectively bad movies exist because of factual flaws which are higher than any good qualities a movie has.
Movies aren’t subjective in that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: SycloneJoe
I’ll be reviewing the awful movie (2011) Green Lantern which greatly disappointed me.

It’s me being outside the box to review objectively terrible movies this year.
Not sure why they feel the need to put so much comedy into superhero movies..

Did you see the film to arrive at your opinion?

The BeeKeeper
9/10

The BeeKeeper is a great popcorn action thriller movie that is an action spectacle with a straight forward plot.

Adam Clay is an AntiHero since he is using property destruction , coercion, and other crimes to accomplish his admirable good goal that would improve the world if he accomplishes it.
It’s a well written action movie since the movie gives an understandable reason why action scenes happen so it avoids the terrible writing of mindless violence where action scenes happening without any understandable reason provided by the movie.

It’s unsurprising that the FBI mostly and other Law Enforcement is chasing Adam Clay since he is an outlaw that is breaking laws to accomplish his admirable good goal.
So this makes him very similar to the Boondock Saints that are the vigilante protagonists in (1999) The Boondock Saints movie.
A ticking clock in this movie is Adam won’t be able to accomplish his goal if he’s caught by Police, or the FBI.

The movie does a great job at showing the antagonists are irredeemable awful characters since a statement of remorse or regret for scamming people to obtain vast cash is never stated or implied by any of the antagonists.
That’s why easy to not feel sad for them at all when Adam commits property destruction, and other crimes toward antagonists that are remorseless predatory scammers that repeatedly steal money from victims using phishing scams on the internet.

The movie shows a toxic environment of easy to go with the crowd since the scamming people out of cash is an accepted behavior in the fictional nefarious organizations much like multiple people that committed crimes while working at Enron before the dirty Landry was exposed.

A very ridiculous coincidence in this movie is a slim white man in the climax resembles Adam including the mostly bald head with buzzed hair on sides and back, short length beard, same height, and this unstated character is wearing the same exact fancy suit as Adam.
No information that Adam arranged for a similar looking white bald man with a beard to wear the same exact fancy suit as him at the same time that they would be in the exact same physical location.
That’s why it’s a very ridiculous coincidence.

It is impressive that the badass protagonist Adam Clay played by Jason Statham with a shown straight face says thanks for putting up with me and my bees to Eloise Parker because it’s intended as a serious line.
Also, because bees are insects that don’t inspire fear from humans while wasps, hornets, etc do.

This action thriller movie focuses on a realistic reason why a human would commit suicide which is an important aspect for Adam’s motivation for his primary goal.

Also, it’s an action thriller movie that shows a dark truth that the Internet is a new Wild West because humans can use the internet for phishing scams to obtain cash illegally.

The movie has good dialogue, a consistent serious tone, and multiple bee related lines including To be or not to be which isn’t shoehorned in.

This movie is mostly an action spectacle so it’s a short amount of time for the terrible event happening that gives Adam an understandable motivation to achieve his main goal which is challenging except achievable.
I did enjoy this action movie provides a stated believable reason why the FBI hasn’t been able to locate the Nefarious organization which has has benefited finically by using vast phishing scams on the Internet to obtain vast cash.

The suspension of disbelief for me was not broken in this action thriller movie because this movie does state a strong explanation why the FBI is useless for locating the nefarious organization.
Without an a strong explanation it would have been a glaring terrible writing flaw that can’t be overlooked.

The main antagonist Derek Danforth states a realistic reason for why his nefarious organization has been able to cover their tracks so that the FBI can’t locate the nefarious organization using the Internet for the phishing scams.

Eloise is a retired schoolteacher that lets Adam live as a tenant in her barn.
Eloise is a likable protagonist that manages a charity organization, and while Eloise never outright says she’s happy that she gets to see Adam daily except the movie still shows they have a good relationship.

Adam Clay is a charismatic likable badass protagonist similar to MacGyver because he shows the ability to create traps which show off his impressive ingenuity.
Also he is like a Swiss Army knife he shows the ability to kill foes with other items instead of just the common used weapon in action movies that is guns.

This action movie is using realistic rules.
Adam does have a struggle fighting the out of his weight class heavyweight main mercenary antagonist, characters are shown reloading guns so no use of the awful writing cliche that is a ridiculous amount of ammo, and Adam having no injuries after falling on the lawn after breaking through a window is believable because it was shown to be a short distance fall.

This movie does have an action scene of Adam running away from gunfire from multiple foes that are great shooters because the gunfire is right area, however I’m very happy that it showed a realistic reason why they failed to successfully shoot him.
This action movie thriller movie isn’t using the ridiculous terrible writing cliche that is multiple armed foes fail to shoot a character that is running straight to an exit or safe area.

Adam is the common badass protagonist that doesn’t struggle to kill foes, and also defeat foes without struggle including he’s shown to be an impressive hand to hand fighter.

The main mercenary antagonist is a brawny man in the weight class of the WWF wrestler Macho Man.
I enjoyed the main mercenary antagonist is a physical challenge for Adam since he is fighting a brawny foe that can absorb multiple hits without struggle since this after seeing him have no struggle defeating other foes.
A other challenging foe Adam wasn’t able to quickly defeat is a crazy female antagonist mainly because she had a mounted on a car machine gun, and because she is a BeeKeeper also.
She stood out for having the high rise hair on the front for her long hair style so likely she liked the 80s Big Hair era.

It’s those reasons that Adam Clay avoids being an Alice from the terrible quality Anderson directed Resident Evil movies.
Alice is a ridiculous Mary Sue protagonist that can mostly do anything, and she has no struggles prevailing or winning so that’s extremely boring and undramatic.

This movie does explain what exactly are the Beekeepers including a believable reason why they exist in this action movie universe.
I’m very happy this is an action movie that uses real explosions instead of the terrible fake looking CGI explosions.
Also this action movie isn’t using CGI guns, blood, bullets, etc.

The BeeKeeper is a hardcore Rated R action thriller movie that shows untamed violence aka a in your face Rated R action movie much like (1989) The Punisher movie, Commando, John Wick, and other Rated R action movies.
I’m very happy this wasn’t in the weaksauce PG-13 action movie which sanitizes violence much like Venom, The Wolverine, etc.

This movie has an open ending similar to (2014) The Guest , however I wouldn’t be unhappy if a sequel wasn’t made since this wasn’t using sequel bait.

Yesterday. Been wanting to see it and it finally popped up on Netflix. Failing musician wakes up in a changed world where the Beatles never existed. He starts singing the songs and becomes a superstar. Danny Boyle directs so you know its well done. really liked the lead. 8/10

VN Store

Back