Most under-rated Vol

Tee Martin. Just when all of us were hung-over from Peyton Manning leaving, this guy came in and led us to a National Title. No one knew he had the skills he had...except his teammates.

Reggie White - He was given a scholarship only to be a room mate to another kid from Howard High School in Chatt (don't remember his name) who left school as a sophmore. And the rest is History - only the greatest lineman in NFL history.

The 'other kid' was Charles Morgan, who many believe was a better athlete than Reggie, especially in high school.

I guess I 'date' most of you guys, but Ron McCartney was greatly underrated. When we played Bama back in those days when Bear ran the wishbone down our throats, McCartney played defensive end for us. After one game (don't remember the year or the score), Bama ran to one end for almost the entire game. Normally, they ran the wishbone left, right or up the middle right over almost everybody. I was not a Bama fan, but I respected those teams and the Bear. Anyway, when Bear was asked after the game why he did not run around the other end, he said it was because of the McCartney kid. They could not block him, they had to run away from him.

Jeff Powell is another one (1986 Sugar Bowl hero)...where did THAT guy come from???

The 'other kid' was Charles Morgan, who many believe was a better athlete than Reggie, especially in high school.

Yes! I remember watching Charles Morgan on ABC in 1980 when we played Alabama in Knoxville...he played their option game pretty well at DE that day (knocking down pitches, killing the QB on a few occasions before he could make a decision...etc. But he was no Reggie White. I don't get why he was so highly touted when RW was All-America in FB a and All-State in BB at Howard.

Well, you guys, if you payed any attention to the Most Over-Rated Thread, then you know who my pick is.

Aside from him, I thought Travis Stephens was under-rated in 2001. Other names that come to mind are Darryl Dickey in the 1986 Sugar Bowl(1985 season), and maybe Inky Johnson. I know he didn't play all that much, but the man gave his football career to UT, and I'll be forever thankful for that.

Well, you guys, if you payed any attention to the Most Over-Rated Thread, then you know who my pick is.

Aside from him, I thought Travis Stephens was under-rated in 2001. Other names that come to mind are Darryl Dickey in the 1986 Sugar Bowl(1985 season), and maybe Inky Johnson. I know he didn't play all that much, but the man gave his football career to UT, and I'll be forever thankful for that.

Travis Stephens was extremely highly regarded by everyone in 2001.

Travis Stephens was extremely highly regarded by everyone in 2001.

Somehow I don't remember that. Again, my childhood memories tend to be fuzzy.

Then again, throughout the course of the last 10 years, nobody really talks about him much.

Somehow I don't remember that. Again, my childhood memories tend to be fuzzy.

Then again, throughout the course of the last 10 years, nobody really talks about him much.

He still is remembered as the last great Volunteer back. He returned to Neyland a couple of years ago to read the Maxims to the crowd.

Johnny Jones-he just does not get the credit he deserves. Team Captain (84), our only RB with b2b 1000+ seasons 83-1,116 84-1,290, All-SEC in 83/84, MVP 84 Citrus Bowl.

VN Store

Back