'24 MO EDGE Kellen Lindstrom (Tennessee)

Knowing basic match and roster management is something only I could come up with? It was a simple and reasonable question. Taking this guy likely means one of two or possibly both things or a third. Either Gentle is getting a git shirt, the staff has received word from Fountain that he’s going to Diet USC, or the staff is very bad at roster management. Taking 6-7 defensive linemen that are all HS kids is horrible roster management and is something I’ve yet to see happen with a program worth a damn. I could completely understand taking 5 and 1-2 from the transfer portal, but 7 out of HS is preposterous
Damn. It sounds like they should hire you to clue them in on what needs to be done. I imagine they'd consider that if they didn't think that bringing in an arrogant a$$ would upset the positive cultural they have going.

He's a 4 star player ranked 228 in the country on the composite.

The composite ranking is arguably the most important ranking for stargazers like YOU.
What's wrong with this kid??
I’m not a stargazer and he’s a solid player, but it’s still insane to take 6-7 HS DL in one class

I’m not a stargazer and he’s a solid player, but it’s still insane to take 6-7 HS DL in one class
Yes you are. Just embrace it.

And it's not silly to take that many. We play with basically 2 starting defenses, and a reserve.
We need 10 starting caliber DL to be ready for real minutes.

Some of yall stll haven't caught on to how Heupel is operating

Damn. It sounds like they should hire you to clue them in on what needs to be done. I imagine they'd consider that if they didn't think that bringing in an arrogant a$$ would upset the positive cultural they have going.
I mean I’m not going to pretend to know more than an SEC coaching staff, but they’re already showing signs of not being able to manage position groups. We currently have 18 OL on scholarship compared to just 7 WRs, 3 TEs, and 2 QBs. I love what this staff has done, but the whole cult mentality that they can do no wrong that the people on this site have is insane

“Kellen Lindstrom is a high-energy, disruptive player on the defensive front,” On3 Director of Scouting and Rankings, Charles Powers, told Volquest. “He was originally ranked as a defensive lineman for us, and we moved him to EDGE in our latest ranking updates. He is inside the On300, and we really think highly of him. We really liked the Junior video when we were going through and working on the rankings and when we were evaluating him. I think the first thing that jumps out is the play speed and his ability to chase down plays in his pursuit. When you look at Lindstrom, his strength right now is as a pursuit defender against the run. He gets in space and has the speed to track down ball carriers from sideline to sideline, and really plays with a high energy level. He gets off blocks and is physical. I think he is further along as a run-defender right now, so I think the biggest area for improvement and what we are looking to see for him to fill out his game is to make improvements as a Senior is putting together his skillset as a pass rusher. Adding more nuance to his game as a pass rusher is where you are looking for him to take the next step, but I think there is a lot to like."

“I think when you look at how Tennessee has recruited that position, I have said this for the past couple of years, I think Tennessee has done a really good job of upgrading and adding the high-end EDGE prospects, defensive lineman and really upgrading that position,” Powers added about Lindstrom. “I think Kellen Lindstrom probably adds a dimension that is a little different than what Tennessee has gone there. They have done really well with pass rushers and guys that can get after the quarterback, and I think Lindstrom adds some of that run-defending ability with his ability to take on blocks, win at the point of attack and win in pursuit.”

-VQ

Yes you are. Just embrace it.

And it's not silly to take that many. We play with basically 2 starting defenses, and a reserve.
We need 10 starting caliber DL to be ready for real minutes.

Some of yall stll haven't caught on to how Heupel is operating
Yes it is. Because if they do all stay you’re eventually going to have to replace 6-7 DL in a 1 to 2 year time frame. I’m not questioning taking 6-7 DL. I’m questioning why they’re not taking 4-5 HS guys and taking 2 through the portal that way they’re not scrambling for portal guys to fill roster holes 3-4 years from now when they’re only allowed to sign 25 players per class

Yes it is. Because if they do all stay you’re eventually going to have to replace 6-7 DL in a 1 to 2 year time frame. I’m not questioning taking 6-7 DL. I’m questioning why they’re not taking 4-5 HS guys and taking 2 through the portal that way they’re not scrambling for portal guys to fill roster holes 3-4 years from now when they’re only allowed to sign 25 players per class
How does taking players with more eligibility over players with less lead to problems 3 years from now?

Not insane if you love all of them. Every year bring in great talent, coach them up, and let them complete for playing time. I’m of the mindset we can never have too many stud defensive linemen. I remember the day when some coaches didn’t recruit offensive linemen. They’d get all defensive linemen then move a few to the Oline. Some will stay 4 years, some 5 years, and some will portal out. It has a way of all working out when you get talent. In Garner I trust!

3/12/23 article with quotes from Glendale head coach Mike Mauk and DL coach Grant Winstrom:

On his position fit…
Mauk: “I think he can play a lot of positions, but I think his best position is going to be on the end as an outside rush guy...He’s capable of dropping for the pass. He can do a lot of things, but his best thing is going to be being able to contain and rush off the edge and get to the quarterback. He’s six-five-and-a-half, close to six-six, 235 pounds right now and growing. He’s long and athletic. Long legs, long arms. Runs really well and works at getting better every day.”

On Lindstrom academically, a student-athlete with a 3.8 GPA…
Mauk: "You can preach (academics) and teach that and try to get your kids to follow through. And most of the time, they do. But he’s just going to the extremes with his desire to be really good at whatever he’s doing. So, he’s just got a great attitude and just a great student. I have him in class, he works hard there as well. He’s young, ambitious, and I don’t think he realizes the potential he has to be tremendously great…He has those characteristics.”

On what stands out most about Lindstrom…
Wistrom: “I think the two things that stand out the most to me about Kellen are his attitude and his effort. He does not take a play off. He runs until the whistle is blown. And just his attitude, too. He’s never satisfied. He’s always trying to better himself. And he’s coachable. He wants to be good. He doesn’t step on the field with an ego. He’s out there trying to get better every day. He’s athletic. He’s got physical gifts. He’s tough. He’s got a great attitude. There’s just not a lot of chinks in his armor.”

On Lindstrom’s position fit and potential…
Wistrom: “You know, guys up there coaching have forgotten more about football than I’ll ever know, and so if they find a spot to put him somewhere else, I’m sure they’ve got it right. But defensive end. I think he’s going to be a great defensive end. The kid’s just tenacious out there. He doesn’t stop. He’s a smart player. And he’s got a great work ethic. He’s not afraid to be a leader. He’s not afraid to stick his neck out and bring guys along with him.

“I’m not a great coach by any stretch of the imagination, but last year was the first year I think he’d been taught any sort of technique. And just to see the growth from the beginning of the season to the end – and there’s still a lot of room for improvement there – his growth was fantastic. Just a ton of upside on him I believe.”

Video Breakdown: Notre Dame DE Recruit Kellen Lindstrom

I mean I’m not going to pretend to know more than an SEC coaching staff, but they’re already showing signs of not being able to manage position groups. We currently have 18 OL on scholarship compared to just 7 WRs, 3 TEs, and 2 QBs. I love what this staff has done, but the whole cult mentality that they can do no wrong that the people on this site have is insane
Well, I'm not...but I am. I stand by my previous statement.

Last edited:
Not insane if you love all of them. Every year bring in great talent, coach them up, and let them complete for playing time. I’m of the mindset we can never have too many stud defensive linemen. I remember the day when some coaches didn’t recruit offensive linemen. They’d get all defensive linemen then move a few to the Oline. Some will stay 4 years, some 5 years, and some will portal out. It has a way of all working out when you get talent. In Garner I trust!
I agree but I'm also thinking of the what it's. What if we don't land any of the higher ranked recruits? If we pass now maybe a guy like Kellen decides to go elsewhere. Then we are left scrambling.

I agree but I'm also thinking of the what it's. What if we don't land any of the higher ranked recruits? If we pass now maybe a guy like Kellen decides to go elsewhere. Then we are left scrambling.
lol, Pruittera. Great name.

Just studied his film. High motor kid with sneaky athleticism. Gym rat. Student of the game. First one there, last one to leave. Very intelligent player. I see flashes of JJ Watt/Julien Edelman in his game.
This is the kind who becomes a position room multiplier: raises the level of preparation and effort expectations for the whole room. And at his position, on the practice field will do the same for OL and RBs who have to block him.

VN Store

Back