Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Finally getting some movement on this!!

‘The Martian’s’ Naomi Scott to Star in ‘Power Rangers’ as Pink Ranger
‘The Martian’s’ Naomi Scott to Star in ‘Power Rangers’ as Pink Ranger

Hot on the heels of her supporting turn in “The Martian,” Naomi Scott has been cast in Lionsgate and Saban Brands’ “Power Rangers” as the pink Power Ranger, it was announced Wednesday on Instagram.

“Project Almanac” filmmaker Dean Israelite will direct the “Power Rangers” movie from a script by Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz, whose credits include Marvel’s “Thor” and “X-Men: First Class

The official “Power Rangers” Instagram account wrote: “It’s official! #NaomiScott will play the #PinkRanger in the @PowerRangerMovie! Coming in 2017…”

Scott starred on Steven Spielberg‘s short-lived sci-fi series “Terra Nova” and will soon be seen in Patricia Riggen’s true-life drama “The 33,” which chronicles the rescue of a group of Chilean miners trapped underground.

The original incarnation of the popular series, called “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers,” debuted in 1993 and quickly became a national phenomenon. It was the story of a group of high school kids who gain superpowers, making them masters of martial arts and able to pilot massive interconnecting robots, a la “Voltron.”

Haim Saban is a producer on the new film along with Brian Casentini and Allison Shearmur. With 20-plus years worth of stories to tap into, look for Lionsgate to push for a “Power Rangers” franchise.

The 2016 film will mark the third theatrical release for the franchise. “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie” capitalized on the property’s initial success, starring the original series cast and bringing in more than $66.4 million globally in 1995. It was followed by “Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie,” which served as a launchpad for the “Power Rangers Turbo” television series.

For those of you who play computer games, I highly recommend you all check out a little game called Chroma Squad.

I recently picked it up on sale for less than ten bucks and the premise is essentially a bunch of stuntmen in a power rangers/sentai style tv show break off and make their own tv show. You make "Episodes" where you fight monsters and try to build up an audience so you can get money to upgrade your rangers and studio production. Eventually, **** gets real and real aliens and monsters get involved and you have to save the world.

You also have a level where you literally get to pilot a zord and punch Barney the Dinosaur in the face. For as cheap as it was/is I've had more fun with the 90's action cliches/references (one of the actors is named Weasley Stripes for example) and the RPG/Turn based elements (Think FF:Tactics or SOCOM) than I have on any game I've spent $60 bucks on in recent memory.

With Lions gate going to make a reboot MMPR movie all with the original 5 ramgers I can't wait to see it. I wonder who the main villain will be.

He looks much more like a Blue Ranger, IMO.

As long as we can get Xavier Woods to be the Black Ranger I don't care.

I'm actually ok with all of the casting looks so far. How they actually work is another, but as long as the voices for Zordon and Alpha (assuming they bring Zordon or Alpha back) I think we can make it work.

I just want to know if this is going to be similar to how the first movie was and be an alt universe to powers or if they'll do it like Turbo and tie it directly into the series itself.

I'd love an Ivan Ooze cameo though.

I'm actually ok with all of the casting looks so far. How they actually work is another, but as long as the voices for Zordon and Alpha (assuming they bring Zordon or Alpha back) I think we can make it work.

I just want to know if this is going to be similar to how the first movie was and be an alt universe to powers or if they'll do it like Turbo and tie it directly into the series itself.

I'd love an Ivan Ooze cameo though.
From everything I have read this will have nothing to do with the television series and is a new reboot film universe.

Reactions: 1 person
From everything I have read this will have nothing to do with the television series and is a new reboot film universe.

That's what I'm curious about. Might Morphin was a strange mix of the two, a stand alone movie event but with the main cast (remember they got their power ups/ninja powers in a totally different story arc in the show.) Now naturally this is going to be its own unique thing as far as casting is concerned, but does this mean we get cameos from previous rangers? Or is it literally going to be a reboot of season 1 with Alpha and Zordon with origin stories and everything else? Moreso, does this mean we even get Rita/Zed/etc. and if we do will the sequels have the villains from the shows rebooted or unique villains just for the movies ala Ivan Ooze?

I grew up on this ****, and part of me wanting to see it is seeing if they have call backs for us who grew up with it, so them just ignoring literally 20 years of in universe plot (most of it actually not terrible even after they ended the original story arc with the rangers revealing themselves at the end of In Space) seems like a waste of a whole lot of potentially good movie ideas.

Just imagine Rita being the main villain for this movie, she brings up two or three of the classic season 1 monsters, CGI'd to look much better of course, ending with Goldar or Scorpina or even Rito Revolto getting beaten, only to have a disheveled and completely lost Rita to be found on the moon crying and a blood red and metallic hand with tubes flowing around it reach down to pick her up. She looks up to see who it is and starts cackling as we see one very brief full body or close up face shot of Lord Zed standing there (and of course the sequel has them using Lord Zed's Zord to destroy the rangers zords requiring them to get a power up, maybe skipping a few and going straight to Zeo or Ninja Rangers.)

And I just painted myself into a fan dream catastrophe sadly.

The original movie that starred the series cast was more or less just to capitalize off the huge success of the series.

It had a $15 million budget and only grossed around $40 million in the US.

I have read where (some/all) the original cast may be in the film but where that is as there original characters with a major part in the film or more as fun cameos like we have seen films come to do when putting a television property on the big screen.

That's what I'm curious about. Might Morphin was a strange mix of the two, a stand alone movie event but with the main cast (remember they got their power ups/ninja powers in a totally different story arc in the show.) Now naturally this is going to be its own unique thing as far as casting is concerned, but does this mean we get cameos from previous rangers? Or is it literally going to be a reboot of season 1 with Alpha and Zordon with origin stories and everything else? Moreso, does this mean we even get Rita/Zed/etc. and if we do will the sequels have the villains from the shows rebooted or unique villains just for the movies ala Ivan Ooze?

I grew up on this ****, and part of me wanting to see it is seeing if they have call backs for us who grew up with it, so them just ignoring literally 20 years of in universe plot (most of it actually not terrible even after they ended the original story arc with the rangers revealing themselves at the end of In Space) seems like a waste of a whole lot of potentially good movie ideas.

Just imagine Rita being the main villain for this movie, she brings up two or three of the classic season 1 monsters, CGI'd to look much better of course, ending with Goldar or Scorpina or even Rito Revolto getting beaten, only to have a disheveled and completely lost Rita to be found on the moon crying and a blood red and metallic hand with tubes flowing around it reach down to pick her up. She looks up to see who it is and starts cackling as we see one very brief full body or close up face shot of Lord Zed standing there (and of course the sequel has them using Lord Zed's Zord to destroy the rangers zords requiring them to get a power up, maybe skipping a few and going straight to Zeo or Ninja Rangers.)

And I just painted myself into a fan dream catastrophe sadly.

Either they bring back King Sphinx, or I walk.

I like this!! Anyone who has seen the Hunger Games films shoud like this!!

Elisabeth Banks has been cast as Rita Repulsa in Power Rangers Film!

Rita Repulsa, who was portrayed by late Japanese actress Machiko Soga on the show, is an alien witch who's a foe of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Her look is somewhat reminiscent of Effie Trinket, the character Banks played in the Hunger Games movies.

Lionsgate has revealed the logo for the now titled Saban's Power Rangers. Scheduled for release on March 24, 2017.

Attachments

• power-rangers-movie-logo-178928.jpg
    power-rangers-movie-logo-178928.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 person
Can we get Paul Schrier and Jason Narvy to return as Bulk and Skull? Surely, right?

Those guys are priceless characters. The theme so great and 1 of a kind, their looks including clothes , names and providing hillarious moments plus lines.
They remind me of the 3 stooges.

In real life Jason and Paul are friends.

Yep which includes either Zack or Jason working at a car garage. Great to see they're going to do something different from the classic original tv show.

Power Rangers may the odds be ever in your favor!!

First look at Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa!

rita2-179593_zps1ddqe84u.jpg

Power Rangers may the odds be ever in your favor!!

First look at Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa!

rita2-179593_zps1ddqe84u.jpg

Great to see she won't have that very lame costume from the original tv show. She looks fierce not a chump like the original.

I can't help but think of Poison Ivy with all this green plus physical beauty. Someone thought she's a aquaman villain when they saw her. She looks like a plant theme villain.

Can't wait to see what the Power Rangers costumes will look like. I imagine alterations to their costumes but mostly the same design including the helmets.

I like it not that for from the original look.

Here is a larger pic for detail!
Right click, View Image!

prangers_zpsduz7sgxb.jpg

Last edited:

They do look topnotch and it appears they are using a Iron Man material design for the suits.
Looks like no belts, holsters, and blasters as long as they still have their special weapons including the power sword I'll be happy.
I imagine these are lightweight armor suits making it easy to fight, jump, run, etc.

But if they want to create new weapons for the reboot movie I won't object.

VN Store

Back