Midnight Madness

Tennessee would hold an awesome Midnight Madness, I'm sure of it. I never quite understood why a coach with a personality and an approach to the game like Pearl gave it a shot.

Not including Kentucky's extravagant event, how much do these typically cost?

Don't pin your hopes on basketball. Remember last season? We lost to Austin Peay, Coastal Carolina, and M.T.S.U.
Basketball program has the ability to dis appoint us also.

You are in for a shock if you think that is happening again. 'Zo has been doing excellent work.

Don't pin your hopes on basketball. Remember last season? We lost to Austin Peay, Coastal Carolina, and M.T.S.U.
Basketball program has the ability to dis appoint us also.

Not nearly as bad as the football program. And also, you need to remember those bad loses came early in the season and if your playing post season action on your home court and your not a Lady Vol, It doesn't even really matter.

Not nearly as bad as the football program. And also, you need to remember those bad loses came early in the season and if your playing post season action on your home court and your not a Lady Vol, It doesn't even really matter.

Postseason as in NIT where we lost to MTSU....it does matter bc that is like going to the music city bowl.....It was a very acceptable first season and showed a lot of promise for the future but that is definitely not our goal for the end up in the NIT at the end of the yr.

Postseason as in NIT where we lost to MTSU....it does matter bc that is like going to the music city bowl.....It was a very acceptable first season and showed a lot of promise for the future but that is definitely not our goal for the end up in the NIT at the end of the yr.

I agree. I was just saying I wouldn't gauge the talent of the team based on MTSU because it was the NIT. They had a lot of bad losses early and clearly got better as the season progressed. I was saying I didn't care about the loss because it was NIT. They rallied back from a rough start and barely missed the tournament. Anyone would struggle to get up for that game. The only thing good about it was they got some extra practices but winning the NIT is more embarrasing to me than anything.

I agree. I was just saying I wouldn't gauge the talent of the team based on MTSU because it was the NIT. They had a lot of bad losses early and clearly got better as the season progressed. I was saying I didn't care about the loss because it was NIT. They rallied back from a rough start and barely missed the tournament. Anyone would struggle to get up for that game. The only thing good about it was they got some extra practices but winning the NIT is more embarrasing to me than anything.

Are you saying that Winning the NIT is more embarrassing than losing in the NIT? Even if Coach Martin gets us rolling we will probably have a few seasons sprinkled in where we are NIT bound but hopefully the overwhelming majority we will be tournament bound. I cant wait till they hit the court.

I can get behind this train of thought.

Are you saying that Winning the NIT is more embarrassing than losing in the NIT? Even if Coach Martin gets us rolling we will probably have a few seasons sprinkled in where we are NIT bound but hopefully the overwhelming majority we will be tournament bound. I cant wait till they hit the court.

Yes. I don't want no part of the NIT. Every now and then is fine because not everybody is Kentucky and reloads every year but with Martin's coaching and recruiting so far, I don't think we see the NIT very often. And to answer your question, I dont' care if we lose or win in the NIT. Might sound like sour grapes but the extra practices and games is the only thing I care about.

This is probably the most important thing in all honesty, needs to be done right.

I thought everybody sounded against this last week when memphis Madness came up? Somebody referred to it as a glorified practice I think.

I think it's a great idea for the recruits. That's who it's for anyway.

I'm not really supportive of a wasted practice, but I do realize how much things are changing in college hoops. This deal is all about recruiting and energizing the fan base to start the season.

I thought everybody sounded against this last week when memphis Madness came up? Somebody referred to it as a glorified practice I think.

I think it's a great idea for the recruits. That's who it's for anyway.

No not everybody, some were against it though, and they'll admit it...however I wasn't one of them.

I've been very vocal about wanting a midnight madness and thinking it'd be a great success if done right at UT.

It could end up being perfect timing. If we get Stokes, Hubbs, and Nichols heading into our first Midnight Madness, we could possibly elevate our recruiting prowess to unseen heights.

It really depends on your definition of "basketball school". If that means a basketball elite program with a lengthy history of basketball success then UT has some work to do. If it means an institution with a staff that is committed to heading in the right direction then without question UT fits the definition.

Is deciding if it's basketball or football school....is it simply which program is better currently? Last 5 years? Last decade? Then entire length of the school?

What defines it?

Without overthinking it, I assume the label is relative to what sport you attach to a certain school when it is brought into a conversation. Sort of like word association. I hear Kentucky, I think basketball. I hear Alabama, I think football. I don't think we are talking about any tangible definition or scientific formula for determining what makes a school a football/basketball school. It's an opinion-based argument really with no right or wrong answer provided there is some reasonable evidence to support the opinion.

Reactions: 2 people
Without overthinking it, I assume the label is relative to what sport you attach to a certain school when it is brought into a conversation. Sort of like word association. I hear Kentucky, I think basketball. I hear Alabama, I think football. I don't think we are talking about any tangible definition or scientific formula for determining what makes a school a football/basketball school. It's an opinion-based argument really with no right or wrong answer provided there is some reasonable evidence to support the opinion.

Well said.

Makes sense, and right now I think a lot o places in the country when you say Tennessee a lot more people think basketball than they used to.

VN Store

Back