Michelle Marciniak's Take

Michelle and other LVs can say whatever they want in any venue they deem appropriate. It's their school and their program, and they have earned that right.

There's plenty of blame to go around. It starts with the coaches, and we need changes there. Nobody but UTAD controls that. The players need to be accountable, too, and they can control that. Nared and DD both commented that not all players gave their best effort last year and Nared said it again this year. Davis worked on her game with coaches outside of practice and her performance improved significantly. She'll be one of our go-to players next year, and that's no coincidence. It's no coincidence that Admiral Schofield became the Vols' most consistent player, either-- spending hours in the gym shooting 1000 shots a day makes you better. Not working on FTs makes you a 55% FT shooter and not working on ball control makes you turn the ball over 120 times in a season. When you do that, your team tends to lose.

Pat was tough on players and she made them work hard, but the great ones showed the initiative and drive to get better on their own. We don't have Pat... but we do have a few potential great ones.

DING....Ding....Ding....someone gets it!!!

She sent me a FB friend request so she and I are FB friends AND her post is set to public so anyone can see it whether they are her FB friend or not.

Your turn, weirdo.

Now.....and I am typing this as s....l....o....w....as I can for you, what was my original point and who is correct??????NO one except her "friends" on FB would see that post even if it was marked "public"......are the dots lining up yet or do you think she has a massive following on FB just waiting on her comments????

Coaches should know how to break a zone defense.

Yes, you move the ball. Then you penetrate the gaps or drive the baseline. The coaches told them over & over to do this.

The main way to break a zone is to make outside shots. The players could not make outside shots on that particular day.

Yes, you move the ball. Then you penetrate the gaps or drive the baseline. The coaches told them over & over to do this.

The main way to break a zone is to make outside shots. The players could not make outside shots on that particular day.

Did you get that from MM's FB page???

Okay. So according to Michelle's chastisement of us fans, we really don't need a coach.

We only need someone to recruit, and then send these clueless players out there to make things happen.

Sorry, Michelle. You were a great player, but your comments are so off the wall, they are almost laughable. Pat Summitt never sent players onto the floor without being prepared.

And Pat never stood over on the sideline with her arms folded; watching her players throw careless passes; throw the ball up in the air hoping for a miracle instead of shooting it; and anyone not playing defense very quickly found their place on the sideline.

Good try, Michelle, but your argument is too ridiculous to be taken seriously.

Holly is in over her head, and our great program is becoming a laughing stock.

It is time to get a real coach who knows how to coach; how to motivate; how to teach; and how to win.

Reactions: 3 people
From Facebook -

Ok so it's been 4 hours and I have some words, not many but some as it relates to our #ladyvols.

I was a player, so was Abby and Pashen and Tamika and Semeka and Chamique and Candace and Dawn and Shelley and Lisa and Pam and and and......

And I'm sorry but you just can't blame this on the coach.

Players play. Players make plays. Players win games. Players make free throws or they don't. Players are on the court. Players are in control. Players contest shots. Players get defensive stops. Players make or cause turnovers. Players take charges or punk out and don't sacrifice their bodies to do so. Players hit chippies or they don't. Players dive after loose balls or they choose not to.

Players are taught by their leaders, their coaches and I cannot stress enough the experience of this staff who is coaching these kids....is beyond what any other program can ask for.

The grass is NOT greener on the other side folks.

Players need to mature. Players need to value winning. Players need to feel the pain. So the next time when pain is looming, it feels different and therefore they will get a different outcome.

I really don't care if some fans don't agree with what I am saying but we have great players and great players need to step up as they always have in the TN program. Onus is on the players.

I will remind everyone that in 1996, we were 5 years without a Championship and Pat was as stressed as anyone EVER. She put the blame ON US to win. Mark my word, it was ours to win or not.

So please before you throw a baby out with the bathwater in blaming Holly, just remember it's a journey, not a sprint. In today's Me first, Video game reset world, everyone wants to get rid of the coach and think it will make it all right. Not so people.

Holly is a Pat's protege. She's got her blue print mapped in her body, soul and mind. You won't get any better, any closer to Pat than Holly.

I'd like everyone to think about this post as we tend not to blame the players only the coaches. Trust me, Pat blamed us and held us responsible.

Time for the players to own up. Whether anyone likes to read this or not, it's true and you can't argue it because I have been there and done that. 18 to 21 year olds are adults.

These ladies didn't just start playing
when they joined the Lady Vols , but
many have come from elite high school
programs and many are proven championship caliber teams. No doubt the coaches of these ladies along with other program (such as AAU, Boo Williams,U-16/18 and etc.)have invested their time/effort to bring these ladies to college level entry and they don't get to be ranked without all the rhetoric you're accusing them of not having or being.
This college level is responsible for taking them to the level of WNBA entry by developing the physical and mental skills and the whole kaboodle continuing in the steps of their previous coaches,mentors,trainers and whatever.They haven't gotten this far lacking too much.
Here's a question....When do Holly and company's responsiblity pickup to further put them in position to move to the next stage.
Much of the blame lies at her doorsteps.
Your post read like a "blame the players" post.
Can't believe they don't value winning and the rest of your rhetoric.
Maybe the baby needs to be thrown out with the bathwater. Holly is to far in the game to be considered a baby. Or
Maybe she is compared to other elite coaches. And many of these ladies are more mature than what you give them credit for.
And you're right, it's time they own up. Own up to winning a championship with a skilled coach.
I blame Holly first and foremost.
They don't make pacifiers for grown folks. I'm giving this baby up for adoption.
Prophet1

If they were told to do this and didn't...

If I tell my child to do something and she/he doesn't do it,,,that's on me, not them...Who is leading whom?

With all due respect, if what Ms. Marciniak was true we're wasting a lot of money on coaches salaries. The players could just show up and play.

Reactions: 4 people
Essentially, what Michelle is saying is that the only value of coaches is recruiting. Once you have the players, how they perform is up to them. Is Lady Vol talent that much worse than the talent at Connecticut, Notre Dame, South Carolina or Baylor. Does anyone think that these players coached by Geno, Muffet or the others would be out of the tourney now. Coaching matters.

Sure. Coaching matters. But in any given game any part can go awry. And the execution is up to the ones on the court...especially when you're talking about FIRING a coach for a Top 10 rpi/ Top 15 ranking "disappointment" season.

A similar bad loss happened to the Vols. Was that coaching? Should we fire Rick Barnes?

Reactions: 2 people
With all due respect, if what Ms. Marciniak was true we're wasting a lot of money on coaches salaries. The players could just show up and play.

The players have been recruited & instructed with a good scout and game plan. She's saying they have to execute and have enough heart to play defense.

Michelle and other LVs can say whatever they want in any venue they deem appropriate. It's their school and their program, and they have earned that right.

There's plenty of blame to go around. It starts with the coaches, and we need changes there. Nobody but UTAD controls that. The players need to be accountable, too, and they can control that. Nared and DD both commented that not all players gave their best effort last year and Nared said it again this year. Davis worked on her game with coaches outside of practice and her performance improved significantly. She'll be one of our go-to players next year, and that's no coincidence. It's no coincidence that Admiral Schofield became the Vols' most consistent player, either-- spending hours in the gym shooting 1000 shots a day makes you better. Not working on FTs makes you a 55% FT shooter and not working on ball control makes you turn the ball over 120 times in a season. When you do that, your team tends to lose.

Pat was tough on players and she made them work hard, but the great ones showed the initiative and drive to get better on their own. We don't have Pat... but we do have a few potential great ones.

I appreciate these comments... don't know if I completely agree, but mostly. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember our undefeated '98 team was down 12 points (61-49) with 7 minutes to play in the Elite 8 in Nashville to North Carolina. UNC had a very good team and we were playing lethargic while they were banking in perimeter shots and getting every break from the refs. Down the stretch of that game Pat Summitt came out of their trademark full court press that year and went to a half court trap. It worked and we started turning them over. That was coaching. I've never seen that type of in-game adjustment from Warlick.

Also, I remember Jolly being very animated during the huddles. That team played with an intensity that reflected the personality of their coach. Summitt's teams were tough.

Were you not watching on Friday when we turned up the full court press in the 3rd quarter and turned the game around?

They change defenses and make adjustments all the time. Your comments make me wonder if you have not watched a game since 1998.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I appreciate Michelle's comments.... and admire her loyalty to the program....

but I disagree..... coaching staff has total control of the program.....

Reactions: 1 person
Sure. Coaching matters. But in any given game any part can go awry. And the execution is up to the ones on the court...especially when you're talking about FIRING a coach for a Top 10 rpi/ Top 15 ranking "disappointment" season.

A similar bad loss happened to the Vols. Was that coaching? Should we fire Rick Barnes?

Come on Chatt. . . Given the roster accolades, fanbase and tradition,

CRB over-achieved, even with that loss.

Reactions: 5 people
Wow. You sure got a lotta hate in there for a fan.

I am a fan of a PROGRAM and SCHOOL, seems to me Michelle is a fan of a COACH when she doesnt want whats best for that program and only what is best for a coach that coached when she played. Also my posting proves a pretty dang good point about Michelle and her supposed knowledge of coaching! She doesn't have any, proven by the point that the one school she did coach at, did very well before she got there and once she got there they still recruited very well and YET sucked as a program, that program got rid of that coach and got one that has now a ring on her finger with a NC. You can think that is hate, but the fact is Michelle was a heck of a player, but she has no idea about coaching and needs to stick to selling her athletic bedding! If not she would still have a coaching job as all she did was recruit and didnt develop those recruits, which seems eerily similiar to what we have at Knoxville right now!

Were you not watching on Friday when we turned up the full court press in the 3rd quarter and turned the game around?

They change defenses and make adjustments all the time. Your comments maker me wonder if you have not watched a game since 1998.

I didn't see the game Friday... I do watch most of the NCAA tournament games though. Funny, how I never saw a Pat Summitt coached team lose at home in the tournament (I don't even remember very many close games as a matter of fact).

Now.....and I am typing this as s....l....o....w....as I can for you, what was my original point and who is correct??????NO one except her "friends" on FB would see that post even if it was marked "public"......are the dots lining up yet or do you think she has a massive following on FB just waiting on her comments????

You’re really reaching. Anyone can see the post, not just her friends and it has been shared numerous times. To say she was “hiding” is absurd.

I highly disagree with Marciniak's post. In fact, for a player who was great at TN and played under CPS, it's a bit disappointing to see that kind of logic. The coach is the first person responsible.

Love flows like lava for CRB after a similar loss. (And I like RB, just saying.)

CRB did not have the misfortune of following the greatest coach of all time of any sport.... and it’s a different fanbase. It will be interesting to see if, once CHW does move on, if the haters will defend her successor after similar losses with similar circumstances, etc.

From Facebook -

Ok so it's been 4 hours and I have some words, not many but some as it relates to our #ladyvols.

I was a player, so was Abby and Pashen and Tamika and Semeka and Chamique and Candace and Dawn and Shelley and Lisa and Pam and and and......

And I'm sorry but you just can't blame this on the coach.

Players play. Players make plays. Players win games. Players make free throws or they don't. Players are on the court. Players are in control. Players contest shots. Players get defensive stops. Players make or cause turnovers. Players take charges or punk out and don't sacrifice their bodies to do so. Players hit chippies or they don't. Players dive after loose balls or they choose not to.

Players are taught by their leaders, their coaches and I cannot stress enough the experience of this staff who is coaching these kids....is beyond what any other program can ask for.

The grass is NOT greener on the other side folks.

Players need to mature. Players need to value winning. Players need to feel the pain. So the next time when pain is looming, it feels different and therefore they will get a different outcome.

I really don't care if some fans don't agree with what I am saying but we have great players and great players need to step up as they always have in the TN program. Onus is on the players.

I will remind everyone that in 1996, we were 5 years without a Championship and Pat was as stressed as anyone EVER. She put the blame ON US to win. Mark my word, it was ours to win or not.

So please before you throw a baby out with the bathwater in blaming Holly, just remember it's a journey, not a sprint. In today's Me first, Video game reset world, everyone wants to get rid of the coach and think it will make it all right. Not so people.

Holly is a Pat's protege. She's got her blue print mapped in her body, soul and mind. You won't get any better, any closer to Pat than Holly.

I'd like everyone to think about this post as we tend not to blame the players only the coaches. Trust me, Pat blamed us and held us responsible.

Time for the players to own up. Whether anyone likes to read this or not, it's true and you can't argue it because I have been there and done that. 18 to 21 year olds are adults.

I get it now, all of the all American players we have recruited don't have what it takes to win. Amazing they are all bad but the 1 common denominator all the bad teams have is the coach. Maybe we don't need a Pat Summit in todays fast paced game where there is more parity? Maybe we need a new system?

VN Store

Back