Michael White (La Tech)

Second lowest-ranked NIT winner (48th) in KenPom history (2003-now), too. They still weren't tournament quality with the addition of five wins. NIT winning teams typically fall somewhere around 25th-35th.

I mean they did have to beat mighty High Point, St. Marys, and Southern Miss to make it to New York.

If you thought Iowa, UMass and Mercer were soft touches, you must be really impressed with that line up.

They then managed to beat a 9-9 ACC team.

I will give them credit for beating a good SMU team in the finals.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not saying Howland couldn't/wouldn't be good here. I just don't really like the guy. Obviously, I've never met him, but I don't like what I've read all that much.

It also amazes me that people want him to come when everyone hated Zo's offense. Howland runs a very similar style, maybe slower.

And he recruited really well in the 2000's and I assumed he was a great recruiter, but he was really struggling late in his run at UCLA until he got into the shady business of hiring AAU coaches onto his staff.

Idk, he might come in and crush it, but I like the high risk high reward of Michael White.

Hiring AAU coaches isnt shady to me. You're taking an advantage of an opportunity to up your recruiting prowess. What's wrong with that? All schools in all sports try to hire great recruiters or guys with great connections. Korey McRay, whom Howland hired, likely opened doors in the South. He still got Anderson to come cross country and got Shabbazz as well.

It's not like the guys not at least partially qualified. He was a GA for 2 yrs at FSU then spent 2-3 seasons as an asst at a juco and Mercer.

Arizona and Baylor have both hired AAU coaches as well. No one is calling Sean Miller out over it.

I still think it's a shady process by anyone who does it. It's generally done to get a specific player that coach is close to. It just seems like dealing with handlers.

It's starts to get into a gray area of, are the aau coaches doing what's best for their okayer or trying to get the best new gig?

And being a ga and an assistant at mercer isn't qualifications enough to be a highly paid assistant at a program like UCLA. That's like saying I worked a rack room shoes for a year then nike hired me as a designer.

I think if the list is really down to the 4 names which it appears to be, at least to me, then White has to be the guy. The 4 names being: Archie Miller, Chris Mack, Donnie Tyndall and Michael White.

Chris Mack is making around $1m/yr and his buyout isn't known, but it's thought to be around that same number. He would likeky require at least $1.5m+ to leave his alma mater where he has things pretty good currently. Add in a decent salary pool so he can surround himself with good recruiters, something Hart has made clear he wants, and you're talking a pretty decent investment.

Donnie Tyndall is only making around $500k/yr, with his buyout being close to that same amount. In theory he would appear to be cheap, but I'm not so sure that's gonna be the case. Tyndall is no dummy, and he realizes he's likely 2 years away from landing a better gig than Tennessee(assuming he keeps winning). Just speculation on my part, but I think he would likely want around $1.5m/yr, at least a 5 year deal, and a steep buyout to cover him, but low in terms of his ability to leave.

Archie Miller is hard to gauge because nobody really has a clue what his contract numbers are. He got a new deal in February which was before a tourney run made him such a hot name, so it's not hard to imagine that his deal isn't anything crazy. I would say it's possible though their AD front loaded a buyout to prevent it being easy for him to leave after this year or next. I would venture to guess it would take similar numbers to Tyndall, around $1.5m/yr at least to really get his attention. I'm sure he also realizes that he's another good season away from getting his phone blown up with better offers than Tennessee.

Michael White seems like the most attainable to me. He's a young guy that seems to be ready to prove himself at a bigger school than LT. He's now been there 4 years so he has that on Miller or Pitino. He's making $600k with a buyout around $400k, so very attainable from a monetary standpoint. I think he's likely the coach you could get for the cheapest, as LT likely wouldn't put up the fight Dayton, Minnesota or even Southern Miss would. I would think you could likely land him at around $1m/yr, which would be an absolute bargain if he's able to produce results.

Unfortunately, a coach's salary is an issue in recruiting. If UT pays a coach a salary at the bottom of the league, why play ball at a school that won't take care of a coach, much less a player?

I think you gotta go 1.5 just to stay credible. (and I'll argue that paying a gym coach over a million is moronic, but its what its become)

Honestly unless there's a big name we aren't hearing about that hart's trying with. Just hire White now so we can end the madness and let him 1. We can hopefully salvage our class and 2. Try to land some of these grad transfer or JUCOs that could help us

Reactions: 2 people
I think it would be ok if we whiff on bigger names. The ones not happy with the Martin hire wouldn't like it though. Their resumes are about the same as when Martin came.

Unfortunately, a coach's salary is an issue in recruiting. If UT pays a coach a salary at the bottom of the league, why play ball at a school that won't take care of a coach, much less a player?

I think you gotta go 1.5 just to stay credible. (and I'll argue that paying a gym coach over a million is moronic, but its what its become)

IMO a recruit/signed player could care less what his coach is making money wise. To say ANYONE could say UT does not take care of it's players needs one 20 minute tour around campus to know better. If your going to hire a coach making 500-600 grand a year, more than doubling their salary is just throwing money to throw money.

Honestly unless there's a big name we aren't hearing about that hart's trying with. Just hire White now so we can end the madness and let him 1. We can hopefully salvage our class and 2. Try to land some of these grad transfer or JUCOs that could help us

100% on board with this.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't get it at all.

Dooley was a career losing coach. White is winning at an unreal clip at LaTech. They are nothing alike at all.

Exactly!! Two totally different sports as well... Plus, the article posted about him offering players with no D-1 offers and developing them into good enough players to have 27 wins I think is pretty outstanding. That just goes to show he's good at evaluating talent and developing players for his system. I'm definitely on the Michael White bandwagon.

Last edited:
IMO a recruit/signed player could care less what his coach is making money wise. To say ANYONE could say UT does not take care of it's players needs one 20 minute tour around campus to know better. If your going to hire a coach making 500-600 grand a year, more than doubling their salary is just throwing money to throw money.

Doesn't matter what you think. It's the reality.

I think if the list is really down to the 4 names which it appears to be, at least to me, then White has to be the guy. The 4 names being: Archie Miller, Chris Mack, Donnie Tyndall and Michael White.

Chris Mack is making around $1m/yr and his buyout isn't known, but it's thought to be around that same number. He would likeky require at least $1.5m+ to leave his alma mater where he has things pretty good currently. Add in a decent salary pool so he can surround himself with good recruiters, something Hart has made clear he wants, and you're talking a pretty decent investment.

Donnie Tyndall is only making around $500k/yr, with his buyout being close to that same amount. In theory he would appear to be cheap, but I'm not so sure that's gonna be the case. Tyndall is no dummy, and he realizes he's likely 2 years away from landing a better gig than Tennessee(assuming he keeps winning). Just speculation on my part, but I think he would likely want around $1.5m/yr, at least a 5 year deal, and a steep buyout to cover him, but low in terms of his ability to leave.

Archie Miller is hard to gauge because nobody really has a clue what his contract numbers are. He got a new deal in February which was before a tourney run made him such a hot name, so it's not hard to imagine that his deal isn't anything crazy. I would say it's possible though their AD front loaded a buyout to prevent it being easy for him to leave after this year or next. I would venture to guess it would take similar numbers to Tyndall, around $1.5m/yr at least to really get his attention. I'm sure he also realizes that he's another good season away from getting his phone blown up with better offers than Tennessee.

Michael White seems like the most attainable to me. He's a young guy that seems to be ready to prove himself at a bigger school than LT. He's now been there 4 years so he has that on Miller or Pitino. He's making $600k with a buyout around $400k, so very attainable from a monetary standpoint. I think he's likely the coach you could get for the cheapest, as LT likely wouldn't put up the fight Dayton, Minnesota or even Southern Miss would. I would think you could likely land him at around $1m/yr, which would be an absolute bargain if he's able to produce results.

Nice analysis, I have said since the first day of this search, that White would be the best fit on Rocky Top, and nothing has changed, I still expect him to be our next BB coach.

Reactions: 2 people
Nice analysis, I have said since the first day of this search, that White would be the best fit on Rocky Top, and nothing has changed, I still expect him to be our next BB coach.

I wish Hart would go on with it if that's how it's looking. We've got 4 signees who are getting more and more agitated by the day, and there's a handful of grad transfers and JUCOs who could make next years team better.

Jmo

Always wanted a coach that can make less with more. Imagine what White could do with the athletes on this team! If you can pull Shaka or Marshall then sign White up day by day he moves up my list. He's 3rd behind them and jumped Howland for me. Pull the trigger Hart and take a chance on White.

VN Store

Back