Michael White (La Tech)

For the record on Butch - his coaching career here has gone exactly as one could have expected it to looking at his past stops. They sort of suck the first year, he brings in a massive recruiting haul, and they turn it around in the second year - if not significantly, at least noticeably. I don't expect we'll rack up 10 wins in 2014 like he did his second year at Cincy, but we also didn't go 4-8 like he did his first year at Cincy either. I'm expecting a solid 7-8 wins this year, and unlike last year, I think he can do it as long as the defensive is serviceable. Last year's problem was that the defense would start games really strong, but as the offense kept going 3-and-out they would get tired and we didn't have the depth to replace them. If the offense can stay on the field a few more series there's no question we get Vandy and UGA and then everyone loves Butch. But he didn't have much to work with last year, if we're being honest, outside of North, Raijon, and Palardy.

The biggest problem with last years team was the lack of team speed and quickness on the roster, and it was manifested in all three phases of the game, ST, O, but mostly on D. This years team will be much faster, but less experienced.

I will take a smaller, faster, quicker team over a big, bulky, large team anytime.

No, I'm not in to bash the "UT brass". The fact is the results are on the field, wins and losses. I think he's done a good job and great in recruiting, and he has the fan base excited. But this season is going to likely be rough as well, and you know as well I do there will be grumbling again if we go 5-7 (a real possibility).

And even though I think he's a vastly better coach that Dooley, that doesn't change the fact that much of what was said about Jones was said about Dooley, even after his first season.

So you can claim I just want to "bash the UT brass", but I call it logical. This is back to that middle ground this fan base has so many problems with. Either someone is an off the charts great coach or they suck.

:cray: :rofl:

I know I'm opening myself up with this, but it won't be the first time I posted it. Anyone not named Dooley was going to have a top 10 class at UTK this year because of legacies and highly rated in-state kids who were not going anywhere else. If Jones can recruit at that level 2-3 seasons in a row I will believe that it was him. For now, I'm withholding judgment. Back to basktball. :hi:

This is the dumbest thing I've heard this year. Thanks for giving us permission to go back to talking about basketball after you say something retarded about the football program. Have a splendid day.

According to Hubbs he was being offered 5 year deal, 1.2-1.3 million with a buyout that dropped significantly after year 2.

According to Hubbs he was being offered 5 year deal, 1.2-1.3 million with a buyout that dropped significantly after year 2.

Shows you where we are at with a coach. I know you don't want to be tied up financially, but if you believe in the coach, then you have to be aggressive. Football should be in a much better place in 2+ years.

Shows you where we are at with a coach. I know you don't want to be tied up financially, but if you believe in the coach, then you have to be aggressive. Football should be in a much better place in 2+ years.

If Tyndall accepted a similar deal good for Hart, but Tyndall needs a new agent lol

It wasn't a failed courtship... Hart negotiated a deal and Strong didn't come because we wouldn't up the ante to ridiculous dollars. Kudos to Hart for not playing the escalation game with Louisville.

That was only one issue, and Dave Hart doesn't have say on what to pay Cheek does. I know a big time donor family who called me at 2 AM saying Strong was in serious talks with UT. The talks didn't fall through because Strong wanted a bigger budget for his staff, and he didn't believe in the academic standard Cheek wanted to place here. Strong believed he would be at a big disadvantage 5 years from now in terms of recruiting because of Cheek' DA. Strong IMO is a very good coach who I really like, but Butch was nothing short of pure luck by Cheek and ultimately Hart. Just because you strike gold doesn't neglect the fact that you low bailed/pissed off 10 coaches before him.

If Tyndall accepted a similar deal good for Hart, but Tyndall needs a new agent lol

If White misses the tournament next year which is very possible, he's going to be kicking himself. You're not going to get a much better job than UT without a NCAA tournament appearance on your resume.

If White misses the tournament next year which is very possible, he's going to be kicking himself. You're not going to get a much better job than UT without a NCAA tournament appearance on your resume.

I would love to see the deal Hart laid out to White, if it's the same deal Tyndall just got he's foolish for declining. That buyout is huge, and basically makes it impossible for Hart to fire him, it's pretty clear he's not got an extra $1.5m to throw around.

I would love to see the deal Hart laid out to White, if it's the same deal Tyndall just got he's foolish for declining. That buyout is huge, and basically makes it impossible for Hart to fire him, it's pretty clear he's not got an extra $1.5m to throw around.

I've read in more than one place that Whote wanted $2 million in salary and that he had a very high opinion of himself.

That wouldn't stop me from wanting to hire him. I think coaches with massive egos are common. It's probably needed to be coach here really. But that said, maybe Hart just didn't want to cave in to White's demands.

That was only one issue, and Dave Hart doesn't have say on what to pay Cheek does. I know a big time donor family who called me at 2 AM saying Strong was in serious talks with UT. The talks didn't fall through because Strong wanted a bigger budget for his staff, and he didn't believe in the academic standard Cheek wanted to place here. Strong believed he would be at a big disadvantage 5 years from now in terms of recruiting because of Cheek' DA. Strong IMO is a very good coach who I really like, but Butch was nothing short of pure luck by Cheek and ultimately Hart. Just because you strike gold doesn't neglect the fact that you low bailed/pissed off 10 coaches before him.

Why?

Division I records
Donnie Tyndall - 200-106 in 9 years
Michael White - 74-31 in 3 years
Couonzo Martin - 61-41 in 3 years when hired
CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THERE IS A THREAD STILL ACTIVE ON MICHAEL WHITE?

VN Store

Back