Michael White (La Tech)

Everyone in this thread needs to understand that Hart is leaking what he wants to in this process. A lot of it could be that he's finding out who he can trust in the AD. Don't forget someone lost their job over leaking the Nike deal. The rest of what's coming out is calculated on his part and all part of the dance.

I'd be more inclined to believe that if his failed courtship of Charlie Strong hadn't been so public.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd be more inclined to believe that if his failed courtship of Charlie Strong hadn't been so public.

IMO there was nothing "failed" about it. Best thing that could have happened to UT was not over paying for Strong and getting Butch Jones for more than a million a year less. I honestly felt like we had hit the lottery.

Reactions: 2 people
I think they go hand in hand. Both sides want to protect themselves, but White doesn't want to create a big buyout if OM does want him. In return, though, UT will not want a big one to fire him because you don't want one buyout being substantially different than the other.

I absolutely believe that OM could have an influence in his decision. Oxford is a special place for people who are from there or played there. Just has that kind of effect.

The buyout to fire him is the hold up. The other way just doesn't make sense. UT is not gonna make that number something unreasonable. A couple million at most.

If he's already thinking about jumping, we need to move along. I'm sure hart realizes this.

He was responsible for multiple top 25 classes while at Ole Miss, and this next class he has coming into LT is said to be the best they've ever had.

The White article posted on VN talked of all the success he's had with no-names and a couple of his key players had zero interest from other schools. It is LT after all.
No knock on the guy whatsoever.

'Best recruiting class to LT' is still a relevant thing. Love to see him here with a 22k arena and 11 booster planes.heh

The buyout to fire him is the hold up. The other way just doesn't make sense. UT is not gonna make that number something unreasonable. A couple million at most.

If he's already thinking about jumping, we need to move along. I'm sure hart realizes this.

Exactly IMO.

If the hold up was White telling Hart he wants a lower buyout so he can take the OM job I'm guessing this wouldn't have dragged out for 96+ hours.

It wasn't a failed courtship... Hart negotiated a deal and Strong didn't come because we wouldn't up the ante to ridiculous dollars. Kudos to Hart for not playing the escalation game with Louisville.

He was responsible for multiple top 25 classes while at Ole Miss, and this next class he has coming into LT is said to be the best they've ever had.

I think he could be a very good coach, but the top ranking classes are a bit misleading. One was highly ranked because they brought in seven 3 stars. The quantity got them the ranking. He would probably need some time to bring in decent classes, but I absolutely believe he could win games with our current roster.

It wasn't a failed courtship... Hart negotiated a deal and Strong didn't come because we wouldn't up the ante to ridiculous dollars. Kudos to Hart for not playing the escalation game with Louisville.

Kudos to Hart. Butch Jones was by far the best hire for TN.

Yes, I understand that, but everything is not negotiated in a vacuum. It all gets discussed at one time. Whether or not he wants the job, I do believe that White is considering the OM job or any other job that could come open later. It is plausible that he wants the job and would still consider OM later. That is not something that he would openly share for leverage purposes.

IMO there was nothing "failed" about it. Best thing that could have happened to UT was not over paying for Strong and getting Butch Jones for more than a million a year less. I honestly felt like we had hit the lottery.

You may think we ended up with the better coach, but the fact is that Strong was the one that Hart wanted, went after, and was publicly spurned. That was what we were talking about, not the merits of the respective candidates.

Whatever any potential hold up is, this guy is showing he isn't an idiot who is desperate to coach in a major conference. The guy is surrounded by family who know what they are doing when it comes to stuff like this and he isn't going to just roll over for the first big conference job that comes his way. He seems to have a pretty good team coming back to LT, so while I am sure he wants a big conference job he isn't in a position to have to take the first one offered to him.

I was responding to the assertion that all we are hearing now publicly is what Hart wants us to hear. Do you really think Hart wanted everyone to know that he tried to hire Charlie Strong, and then Strong backed out of it?

Gary Parrish
‏@GaryParrishCBS
A source told @CBSSports that talks between Tennessee and Michael White have cooled. He’s likely to stay at Louisiana Tech. Story coming …

Waiting for real updates but saw this two minutes ago

Waiting for real updates but saw this two minutes ago

hehehehehe_duck.gif

I think people need to realize that Tyndall is more proven than White and is legitimately just as good of a head coach, but it won't be high-tempo and we'd be relying heavily on owning the boards and forcing turnovers

I wish I had the opportunity to make the decision of turning down $700,000 a year increase in salary like White obviously has!

Last edited:
I think people need to realize that Tyndall is more proven than White and is legitimately just as good of a head coach, but it won't be high-tempo and we'd be relying heavily on owning the boards and forcing turnovers

Just being honest, that is why I was excited about White.

Reactions: 4 people
Several boosters at LA Tech have maintained throughout the weekend that White will stay there one more year. Likewise at least one high level booster was told White is staying as recently as this morning. Still, sources close to the program urged that nothing is official and White will be in play for the Tennessee job until he either publicly turns UT down or the Vols start to pursue other candidates. Talks between the two parities have cooled considerably since yesterday, but a deal is still not officially dead. Expect a final decision sometime this afternoon.

-Guy who runs BBall Time Magazine

Time to start the petition. Seriously though, Hart may be more incompetent than Hamilton...and I didn't think that was possible.

Hart has hired Butch Jones here at UT and is in the process of hiring a new bb coach. Compared to Mike Hamilton? :eek:lol:

PLEASE!

VN Store

Back